Re: [ntab_all] Re: [list] Re: [NTO] Win2K

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2003
      Ed:
      > Close all open programs in this case means all the ones that present a
      > window on the screen.

      YMMV but my experience using Win98 and Win2K has been that you can basically
      ignore the "shut down all programs ..." warning before installing something.
      I leave my anti-virus and firewall running and just about anything else. If
      you happen to be stretching things in terms of memory use (eg. things are
      working slowly because so much swapping is taking place) you might want to
      close a couple of apps if you've got a lot open but other than that I think
      the "close everything" business is excess caution.

      Some install programs make it look like they've taken over the whole screen
      but if you hit the WinKey you get access to everything already open and can
      start something else if neccessary (eg. Windows Explorer or IE if you want
      to check something)

      Regards ... Alec