Re: [NTO] Win2K

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2003
      Ed

      MSConfig: use StartupCop (PCMag) and/or StartupDelayer (both should be easy
      to find with Google) and work almost exactly the same as in Win9x to figure
      out what's getting started and how to control it. (btw: MSFT Help in Win2K
      is vastly superior to that in Win98 and well worth checking out)

      You've certainly already found out that the TaskManager shows more info than
      the loosely equivalent C+A+D from Win9x.

      For getting a handle on running services etc I highly recommend
      TaskInfo2003. (again Google) (I have it start from Startup and leave running
      all the time). Amongst other good things it can show services and process in
      a tree-view making it clear what's going on in the background and the CPU%
      column can be clicked to give a list sorted by per-cent CPU usage. As well,
      if you selct a specific task the lower panel will show all files (and
      Registry keys and a bunch of other stuff) with additions and releases in any
      time-slice (1/2 second, 1 second or 5 seconds) shown in green or red. VERY
      useful for verifying that something is actually happening as opposed to a
      program having just stalled.

      URL's available if you can't find them ;-)

      btw: I see that every once in a while you do the same thing I do ... forget
      to strip the extra [xxxx] inserted by Popfile. To bad OE-6 won't recognize
      the special headers that Popfile puts in ;-(

      Regards ... Alec