Re: [NTO] Win2K

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2003
      Ed,

      In Windows NT/2K/XP, press CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up task manager and go to
      the processes tab.
      This will show you all the running processes.

      I have 38 processes that includes the System Tray apps, my printer software
      in the background, and Outlook Express. After you match up your similar
      items with their program names in the processes tab, you will find thos
      things that must be running for Windows to operate. I am sure Microsoft has
      a list of these somewhere on its site. Shutting down processes is not the
      recommended method, unless a process is hung, etc.

      The applications tab shows two programs OE and the window for this email as
      I type.

      WinXP Home and Pro do have msconfig. It works basically the same as in
      Win98/ME (I have found that the one for Win98 works on Win95). I hear that
      the one for WinXP works on Win2k ,but have not tried it.

      Larry

      Ed Brown wrote:
      > I have 37 running processes, which I think means programs or apps. This
      > is a new computer and I have never used 2k before. I tried to type in
      > msconfig and it tells me "we ain't got no stinking msconfig." So I do I
      > cut down or stop the 37 running processes and I how can I tell which are
      > necessary for Win2K to operate properly and which ones I can remove, when
      > I find out how to remove them. Thanks Ed
    • Michael Acklin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 6, 2003
        Ed,

        I run Win2K at work and this is normal. In fact I usually have about 45-50
        processes running normally.

        These processes are usually services and essential background processes that
        are needed to run Win2k normally. And yes there is no msconfig with 2k. But
        to see the processes that are running, hit the control-alt-del keys and it
        will bring up task manager. Usually the first tab is the Applications that
        are running, like MS Outlook or the normal programs you can see in the task
        bar.

        The second tab is the processes running and as I said the majority of them
        are necessary. System, System Idle Process, svchost.exe, smss.exe, services
        exe, lsass.exe and svchost.exe ( numerous times) are normal process that run
        in the background to make Win2k run properly. And if you are running Popfile
        you will see one called wperl.exe :)

        If you see something that looks suspicious, write it down and then go to
        Google and do a search on the exact name. You will usually find what you are
        looking for on the Microsoft sites and will explain what each one does. You
        can also find other sources of the processes at different sites.

        I would not be worried to much with 37 processes, unless you see something
        like "Backdoor.exe" or something along those lines. Hopefully you won't see
        that, but understand what I mean in the fact that you get used to the
        processes running.

        Hope this will help...

        Mike

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 6, 2003
          Ed

          MSConfig: use StartupCop (PCMag) and/or StartupDelayer (both should be easy
          to find with Google) and work almost exactly the same as in Win9x to figure
          out what's getting started and how to control it. (btw: MSFT Help in Win2K
          is vastly superior to that in Win98 and well worth checking out)

          You've certainly already found out that the TaskManager shows more info than
          the loosely equivalent C+A+D from Win9x.

          For getting a handle on running services etc I highly recommend
          TaskInfo2003. (again Google) (I have it start from Startup and leave running
          all the time). Amongst other good things it can show services and process in
          a tree-view making it clear what's going on in the background and the CPU%
          column can be clicked to give a list sorted by per-cent CPU usage. As well,
          if you selct a specific task the lower panel will show all files (and
          Registry keys and a bunch of other stuff) with additions and releases in any
          time-slice (1/2 second, 1 second or 5 seconds) shown in green or red. VERY
          useful for verifying that something is actually happening as opposed to a
          program having just stalled.

          URL's available if you can't find them ;-)

          btw: I see that every once in a while you do the same thing I do ... forget
          to strip the extra [xxxx] inserted by Popfile. To bad OE-6 won't recognize
          the special headers that Popfile puts in ;-(

          Regards ... Alec