Re: [ntab_all] Re: [NTO] WinME vs WinXP?

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2003
      Alice:

      > Something that crossed my mind today was hardware compatibility, I
      > was thinking to buy only a motherboard, chip and hard drive and use
      > her existing sound card, video card, network card (for the cable
      > modem), CD-ROM and CD-RW. The sound card, video card and CD-ROM are
      > about three years old and not anything super duper, the standard Dell
      > stuff. The NIC is about a year old, the CD-RW is about a year old
      > also.

      Have you seen/heard of this site:
      http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/home/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp

      Its about a 10 MB download that purports to check your devices etc. and
      notify of any problems. If you got a machine running Win98 with the devices
      your are concerned about I believe it will let you know which may cause
      problems and what drivers you may have to update.

      (I've no personal knowledge of WinXP but use Win2K on a new faster larger
      laptop P-III and switched my older, slower, smaller P-II laptop from Win98
      to Win2K and couldn't be happier - its nice not to have to have to muck
      around with the activation nonsense. I gather its not as onerous as it was
      touted to be but suspect you might run into it as someone who builds her own
      computers)

      Regards ... Alec