Win2K

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2003
      I have 37 running processes, which I think means programs or apps. This is a new computer and I have never used 2k before. I tried to type in msconfig and it tells me "we ain't got no stinking msconfig." So I do I cut down or stop the 37 running processes and I how can I tell which are necessary for Win2K to operate properly and which ones I can remove, when I find out how to remove them.
      Thanks
      Ed

    • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2003
        Ed,

        Many of the running processes in Windows are defined at:

        http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm

        This may be of help to you. Also, the previous responses on
        using Start Up managers is very good and very useful. At first
        glance, the files running may seem overwhelming, however, "hang
        in there", learn what each one is for, try to remember the one's
        that are ALWAYS there and you will soon be able to recognize a
        "foreigner" showed up that maybe you did not "invite to the
        party" (as in Virus, Trojan, Worm and a backround service
        installed without your permission from an unscrupulous website).

        Some files, such as those for a mouse, printer, scanner, et
        cetera, should be left alone, lest you not want them to work. As
        you become familiar with them, you will understand their
        importance and nature to the system.

        I (and I believe "we") understand that some "out of the box"
        experiences do indeed leave too many services running that are
        unnecessary for the most part. It is difficult, at first, to
        ascertain who these are, but a worth while endeavor. Sometimes,
        it is more difficult to keep them shut off (some really obnoxious
        services ALWAYS restart after reboot until you hunt down all of
        their instances referenced to in the Registry).

        If you run into a particularly nuisance service,
        meticulously investigate its Settings/Preferences section(s) to
        see if there is an option referencing to "always run on startup"
        or some such nomeclature.

        Hope this helps you.

        Regards,
        Christopher J. Spilker