Re: [NTO] WinME vs WinXP?

  • Jim Hall
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 6, 2003
      Alice,

      Good thinking but to put your mind at ease, I would be "VERY SURPRISED" if XP doesn't find and load drivers for all of your hardware and bring your system up working just like it was in 98 (only better) especially if you load XP over the top of 98.

      I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to install and how well it does it.

      One important installation note!!!!!!!

      At times the screen will go blank (for up to 10 minutes) and you will think that something is wrong - it isn't, it will come back and carry on when it gets ready. Just have patience and let it be.

      XP takes about twice as long to install as 98 but once you have put in the important info, just let it alone for about an hour and it will take care of things for you.

      The only thing you might lose are some mfg. specific support software.

      You might also find that the install CD for some of your hardware also has 2K drivers on it.

      In most cases, you can also go to the mfg's web site and look for 2K and/or XP versions which are usually the same these days.

      I have only seen a few cases where a 2K driver didn't work with XP.

      As far as your internet access, your setup will work fine depending on whether or not you are setup for multiple computers.

      If not then a call to your ISP and about $5 to $6 a month will take care of that and you can simply cancel it when you no longer need it.

      If you are using ATTBI, it looks at the serial number on your NIC so it won't let you swap one computer for another without a call to tech services.

      COX used to use the Computer name and as long as you only have one on at a time you can name all of your computers the same and access the net. In some areas they have changed and you use a Log On and Password now (I believe it is stored in a Cookie) - again you can swap computers as long as only one is on at any given time.

      I'm not sure how Time Warner is doing it these days - perhaps someone who is using Road Runner can fill in this gap.

      As to the Home vs Pro question, go to

      http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/home/default.asp

      and then to

      http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing.asp

      and see which best suits your needs

      Regards,

      Jim

      At 02:17 PM 1/6/2003 -0600, you wrote:
      >Something that crossed my mind today was hardware compatibility, I was thinking
      >to buy only a motherboard, chip and hard drive and use her existing sound card,
      >video card, network card (for the cable modem), CD-ROM and CD-RW. The sound
      >card, video card and CD-ROM are about three years old and not anything super
      >duper, the standard Dell stuff. The NIC is about a year old, the CD-RW is about
      >a year old also.
      >
      >I will be networking it thru a Linksys router/hub to share the cable modem with
      >stepdad's laptop, plus when they move back home (living at grandma's now while
      >renovating their house) it will be networked all thru the house to a router/hub
      >hooked up to the cable modem.
      >
      >Is XP Home good for that? Did they make it with home networks for shared
      >broadband access in mind?
    • Jan Rosenstreich
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 6, 2003
        On Mon, 06 Jan 2003 15:39:35 -0800, Jim Hall wrote:

        >If you are using ATTBI, it looks at the serial number on your NIC
        > so it won't let you swap one computer for another without a call to tech services.

        If you are referring to the MAC # of the NIC, you can sign up using any
        of the computers. Make note of that MAC # and once setup, enter that
        MAC # in the router. The NIC will transmit that MAC# and from that
        point on, your ISP will always think that the original computer is
        logged in. The Linksys and several other routers have that feature. In
        my model of Linksys, this is called a MAC Address Clone.

        Jan
        --
        Jan Rosenstreich
        Independent Distributor #130-646
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 6, 2003
          Hi Alice,

          Your questions were answered a lot better than I could have. ;) I
          agree with Jim about the drivers. Everything I needed was on the
          install CD and have some hardware 5 years old. <g> My guess
          would be as long as the hardware uses name brand drivers that it
          will be taken care of, at least in almost all cases. I said name
          brand driver to point out that if you had an off the wall named
          modem, but the drivers are say US Robotics due to the chip
          onboard, then it should fly. Happy NoteNite! ;)

          >Something that crossed my mind today was hardware compatibility,
          >I was thinking to buy only a motherboard, chip and hard drive and
          >use her existing sound card, video card, network card (for the
          >cable modem), CD-ROM and CD-RW. The sound card, video card and
          >CD-ROM are about three years old and not anything super duper,
          >the standard Dell stuff. The NIC is about a year old, the CD-RW
          >is about a year old also.

        • Scott Fordin
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 7, 2003
            For me, for the Windows side of the world, the balance
            between security and privacy leads me to Windows 2000.
            As Brian points out, XP has numerous security issues,
            has a number of "features" that seriously encroach on
            personal privacy, and has really sucky licensing terms
            for home users. Moreover, I *resent* the exclusion of
            Java support in IE6. Your mother and my mother are
            probably not going to install another browser or JVM
            unless you or I do it for them, and so the exclusion
            of Java is an extremely bullying, heavy-handed tactic
            employed by Microsoft to kill a technology that they
            could not kill on its technical merits.

            My wife, one of my daughters, and I are all running
            Win2K, and I have not noticed any compatability issues,
            with the exception of an HP external CD-R/W drive for
            which HP, for some reason, refused to provide Win2K
            drivers several years ago. I don't play a lot of games,
            but my daughter does, and she hasn't had any problems
            in terms of compatibility with Win2K.

            That said, I also run SuSE 8.1 and Mandrake 9.0
            whenever possible...

            Scott

          • DA
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 7, 2003
              Hi Brian,

              I think you are slightly off the main topic, but it is
              a related issue.

              I'm generally in agreement with you. I think it is really
              unethical to sell an OS under one set of rules then change
              the rules if you want updates. They were going to put the
              snooping in the first release until there was enough bad
              press about it.

              Remember, even MS says most of these updates are bugs, not
              new features. So, if you want the bugs fixed, you have to
              let them snoop.

              If I didn't have to use WinXP, I wouldn't. I don't think
              they are misusing the information they are gathering -- Yet.
              But, there are so many examples of MS being, "ethically
              challenged," that I don't trust MS. If there is $$$ to
              be made, they will do it if they think they can get away
              with it. Later on, when everyone is accustomed to this
              snooping, is when MS will make their move. The only way
              to prevent this is to keep them constantly under a
              microscope.

              DA

              PS. By the way, for some reason your posts no longer
              create any problems when I download them.

              Brian Binder wrote:

              > If I missed a post on this, sorry.
              >
              > The one thing I think that you all are missing the point on is XP's
              > security.
              >
              > If your stability is a fair trade, then disregard this email.
              >
              > Personally, I don't like M$ seeing everything I am doing and tracking
              > all my information.
              >
              > The stability and compatibility is great, yes - but you guys are giving
              > up your privacy!
              >
              > I thought that was important to everyone? Am I mistaken?
              >
              > With the introduction of XP, MS left all backdoors open so others could
              > watch what you are doing.
              >
              > And by installing SP1 for XP, you give MS consent to do this!
              >
              > Same with 2000. Nice and stable, but by installing SP3 for it, you are
              > giving M$ the right to inspect your system whenever they want to.
              >
              > I am forced to deal with Windows on a daily basis, but I would surely
              > use Linux for myself.
              >
              > Xandros is a great OS for people to use instead of Windows.
              >
              > I'm not asking you to change your OS and start all over, but if your
              > privacy is important, an upgrade to XP will absolutely NOT be in your
              > future because of its privacy issues and security flaws.
              >
              > Don't think that simply by doing updates you are protected from the
              > flaws of XP, especially if you are on a broadband connection.
            • Brian Binder
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 7, 2003
                Glad the emails are working better!

                It's one thing to fix a product, but don't get the issues crossed.

                Let me ask anyone who agrees with the "Microsoft way" the following
                statement:

                "Why doesn't everyone do it?"

                For instance...Linux again! They made such a great FREE OS (and
                flavors) and it doesn't require you to let them in and snoop around and
                invade your privacy, does it? Unix-based products don't do it and they
                run more stable and reliable than probably any other OS on the market.

                But do you see them with all their disclaimers on letting them in the
                back door? Do you see their kernel constantly accessing the Internet to
                send information to their servers so they can identify who you are and
                what you are doing?

                I don't want to have to agree to let someone possibly compromise my
                security just so that something can get fixed. One issue has nothing to
                do with the other, and that's what do few people understand.

                Don't allow them to blur the lines between security and "bugs"; that's
                totally ridiculous! I can download Mandrake and install it and never
                service pack it and it'll run forever, as long as the hardware is ok.

                Microsoft's OS? It'll call home all the time, crash, freeze, etc. And
                for that I have to let them in so they can fix the "bugs"? I don't
                think so.

                Everyone has a choice, and I'm glad that mine is not Microsoft. I'm
                glad that I do not depend on the OS like so many people do.

                I choose privacy, and I don't think twice about it or lose any sleep on
                it when I have a secure OS.

                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 7, 2003
                  Brian et al,

                  FWIW
                  For those who aren't aware, the error reporting for crashes and hung programs in XP can be disabled by going to
                  CONTROL PANEL>SYSTEM>ADVANCED>ERROR REPORTING. I didn't check but this may hold true for 2K as well.

                  Then you don't have to continually click on DON'T SEND.

                  Regards,

                  Jim

                  At 01:20 PM 1/7/2003 -0600, you wrote:
                  >Microsoft's OS? It'll call home all the time, crash, freeze, etc. And
                  >for that I have to let them in so they can fix the "bugs"? I don't
                  >think so.
                • Brian Binder
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 7, 2003
                    Absolutely! I would take a trip to http://xpantispy.de and hit DOWNLOAD
                    and get the latest (3.71) version of this tool.

                    Keep M$ out!

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 7, 2003
                      Hi Jim,

                      Thanks. The reporting was getting on my nerves.

                      DA

                      > For those who aren't aware, the error reporting for crashes and hung programs in XP can be disabled by going to
                      > CONTROL PANEL>SYSTEM>ADVANCED>ERROR REPORTING. I didn't check but this may hold true for 2K as well.
                      >
                      > Then you don't have to continually click on DON'T SEND.
                    • hsavage
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 7, 2003
                        Brian Binder wrote:

                        >Absolutely! I would take a trip to http://xpantispy.de and hit DOWNLOAD
                        >and get the latest (3.71) version of this tool.
                        >
                        >Keep M$ out!

                        Hi Brian,

                        Are you sure this is the correct address, when I try it I get a blank
                        page and nothing else.

                        There is no progress bar or other activity indicating anything is loading.

                        hrs
                      • Jim Hall
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 7, 2003
                          hrs,

                          It worked fine for me and looks to me like it is a handy Wizard to have for XP.

                          If you can't get it, let me know and I'll email it to you, it is only 64K with the installer.

                          Jim

                          At 06:43 PM 1/7/2003 -0600, you wrote:
                          >Hi Brian,
                          >
                          >Are you sure this is the correct address, when I try it I get a blank
                          >page and nothing else.
                          >
                          >There is no progress bar or other activity indicating anything is loading.
                          >
                          >hrs
                        • DA
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 7, 2003
                            It worked for me. I just came up in German so I had to click
                            on the English flag.

                            DA

                            hsavage wrote:

                            > Brian Binder wrote:
                            >
                            > >Absolutely! I would take a trip to http://xpantispy.de and hit DOWNLOAD
                            > >and get the latest (3.71) version of this tool.
                            > >
                            > >Keep M$ out!
                            > >

                            > Hi Brian,
                            >
                            > Are you sure this is the correct address, when I try it I get a blank
                            > page and nothing else.
                          • hsavage
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 7, 2003
                              DA wrote:

                              >It worked for me. I just came up in German so I had to click
                              >on the English flag.
                              >
                              >DA
                              >
                              >hsavage wrote:

                              I'm glad it's a valid address but I still get nothing.

                              hrs
                            • hsavage
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 7, 2003
                                Jim Hall wrote:

                                >hrs,
                                >
                                >It worked fine for me and looks to me like it is a handy Wizard to have for XP.
                                >
                                >If you can't get it, let me know and I'll email it to you, it is only 64K with the installer.
                                >
                                >Jim

                                Jim,

                                I did a Google search for XPAntispy and finally found a site I could
                                logon to. I downloaded a file that is 65,636 bytes and named setup.exe.

                                It's probably the correct file but I can't be sure until I install it.
                                Don't want to do that till I put it on my XP machine.

                                Please send me the download you got so I can compare them.

                                hrs
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 7, 2003
                                  Hi hsavage,

                                  www.xp-antiSpy.de or www.xpantispy.de should work.