Re: [NTO] WinME vs WinXP?

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2003
      Hi Alice,

      I never had WinME, but going by support problem reports, I'm glad
      I never had it. I went from Win98SE to WinXP and never been
      happier. I even installed it on my older machine (AMD 350MHz &
      256Mb RAM) and it is a bit slow starting, but after that it is
      way better than Win98SE on the same machine. I use XP Pro, but I
      believe all you want is XP Home. I've only had a couple small
      utilities that I've been using for years not work in XP. And, of
      course, M$ still works great with M$. ;)

      >I'm going to be building my mom a new computer shortly and I
      >think finally moving her off Win98. So what's the opinions on
      >what's more stable, easier to use, and friendly to things like
      >Office 2000 and Quicken and games and learning programs for her
      >granddaughter?

    • Brian Binder
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2003
        If I missed a post on this, sorry.

        The one thing I think that you all are missing the point on is XP's
        security.

        If your stability is a fair trade, then disregard this email.

        Personally, I don't like M$ seeing everything I am doing and tracking
        all my information.

        The stability and compatibility is great, yes - but you guys are giving
        up your privacy!

        I thought that was important to everyone? Am I mistaken?

        With the introduction of XP, MS left all backdoors open so others could
        watch what you are doing.

        And by installing SP1 for XP, you give MS consent to do this!

        Same with 2000. Nice and stable, but by installing SP3 for it, you are
        giving M$ the right to inspect your system whenever they want to.

        I am forced to deal with Windows on a daily basis, but I would surely
        use Linux for myself.

        Xandros is a great OS for people to use instead of Windows.

        I'm not asking you to change your OS and start all over, but if your
        privacy is important, an upgrade to XP will absolutely NOT be in your
        future because of its privacy issues and security flaws.

        Don't think that simply by doing updates you are protected from the
        flaws of XP, especially if you are on a broadband connection.

        Just fair warning!

        Brian