WinME vs WinXP?

  • alice ttlg
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2003
      I'm going to be building my mom a new computer shortly and I think finally
      moving her off Win98. So what's the opinions on what's more stable, easier to
      use, and friendly to things like Office 2000 and Quicken and games and learning
      programs for her granddaughter?

      I ruled out Win2kPro because I know it can't run some of the stuff that she
      wants to put on for her granddaughter. So it has to be either WinME or WinXP
      (or stay with Win98).

      alice ttlg

      --
      Blog: http://coda.populli.org/
      Idiot Box: http://idiotbox.populli.org/

      Cary Grant: So you think *I'm* the murderer? What do I have to do to convince
      you that I'm not, be the next victim?
      Audrey Hepburn: Well that would be a start.
      - Charade, 1963
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2003
        Alice,

        WinXP is the winner, hands down.

        I was surprised to hear that someone is actually still using 98 or it's glorified version ME. :-)

        XP finally does what Windows was supposed to do since it's inception.

        There are a couple of cautions though before you jump into the deep end.

        Make sure she has at least 128MB of RAM. XP will work with less but it slows it down quite a bit.

        Make sure that she has plenty of free disk space. Disk space is so cheap today that XP uses it like you have an unlimited amount. If disk space is tight you will want to consider turning off the System Restore feature but I wouldn't unless it was absolutely necessary.

        The home version is okay for some people but it does not have all of the features of the Pro version. If she is going to run Office, or a LAN etc. I would recommend spending the little bit extra and putting XP Pro on for her. You might want to check the feature differences to be certain that you get what she needs.

        If you have any XP specific questions, don't hesitate to post me privately.

        Regards,

        Jim

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2003
          Hi Alice,

          I never had WinME, but going by support problem reports, I'm glad
          I never had it. I went from Win98SE to WinXP and never been
          happier. I even installed it on my older machine (AMD 350MHz &
          256Mb RAM) and it is a bit slow starting, but after that it is
          way better than Win98SE on the same machine. I use XP Pro, but I
          believe all you want is XP Home. I've only had a couple small
          utilities that I've been using for years not work in XP. And, of
          course, M$ still works great with M$. ;)

          >I'm going to be building my mom a new computer shortly and I
          >think finally moving her off Win98. So what's the opinions on
          >what's more stable, easier to use, and friendly to things like
          >Office 2000 and Quicken and games and learning programs for her
          >granddaughter?

        • Brian Binder
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2003
            If I missed a post on this, sorry.

            The one thing I think that you all are missing the point on is XP's
            security.

            If your stability is a fair trade, then disregard this email.

            Personally, I don't like M$ seeing everything I am doing and tracking
            all my information.

            The stability and compatibility is great, yes - but you guys are giving
            up your privacy!

            I thought that was important to everyone? Am I mistaken?

            With the introduction of XP, MS left all backdoors open so others could
            watch what you are doing.

            And by installing SP1 for XP, you give MS consent to do this!

            Same with 2000. Nice and stable, but by installing SP3 for it, you are
            giving M$ the right to inspect your system whenever they want to.

            I am forced to deal with Windows on a daily basis, but I would surely
            use Linux for myself.

            Xandros is a great OS for people to use instead of Windows.

            I'm not asking you to change your OS and start all over, but if your
            privacy is important, an upgrade to XP will absolutely NOT be in your
            future because of its privacy issues and security flaws.

            Don't think that simply by doing updates you are protected from the
            flaws of XP, especially if you are on a broadband connection.

            Just fair warning!

            Brian

            I was surprised to hear that someone is actually still using 98 or it's
            glorified version ME. :-)

            XP finally does what Windows was supposed to do since it's inception.

            There are a couple of cautions though before you jump into the deep end.

            Make sure she has at least 128MB of RAM. XP will work with less but it
            slows it down quite a bit.

            Make sure that she has plenty of free disk space. Disk space is so cheap
            today that XP uses it like you have an unlimited amount. If disk space
            is tight you will want to consider turning off the System Restore
            feature but I wouldn't unless it was absolutely necessary.

            The home version is okay for some people but it does not have all of the
            features of the Pro version. If she is going to run Office, or a LAN
            etc. I would recommend spending the little bit extra and putting XP Pro
            on for her. You might want to check the feature differences to be
            certain that you get what she needs.

            If you have any XP specific questions, don't hesitate to post me
            privately.

            Regards,

            Jim

            At 05:04 PM 1/5/2003 -0600, you wrote:
            >I'm going to be building my mom a new computer shortly and I think
            finally
            >moving her off Win98. So what's the opinions on what's more stable,
            easier to
            >use, and friendly to things like Office 2000 and Quicken and games and
            learning
            >programs for her granddaughter?
            >
            >I ruled out Win2kPro because I know it can't run some of the stuff that
            she
            >wants to put on for her granddaughter. So it has to be either WinME or
            WinXP
            >(or stay with Win98).

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/