Re: [NTO] Modem acting up

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 15, 2002
      Brian,
      It never disconnects, it stays connected but it will not pick up the mail,
      nor can I get on the internet. The support person sees the connection is
      complete and tries to send me a signal but it is not received. Watching the
      two monitors down in the right corner of the screen by the time and speaker
      volume icons, I can see it connect and some Bytes are exchanged upon
      connection. I can see the monitor that represents the ISP turn green when
      he tries to send to my computer, but the monitor that represents my computer
      stays black. It shows no activity at all, after the initial connection when
      it is receiving and sending. Upon trying to send an email the window opens
      that says connecting to (ISP) but no connection is ever made, it just keeps
      trying and eventually a message pops up and says your SMTP has not responded
      in 60 seconds etc etc The error screen says a time out occurred while
      communicating with the server protocol SMTP Port 25 secure SSL error number
      0x800CCC19

      The support person then gives the standard support response "Your modem is
      bad you will have to have it worked on or replaced with a new one."
      Ed

      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 15, 2002
        So I take it, modifying the phone number didn't help?

        Also, do you really use SSL with your ISP?

        Many many many ISP users do NOT use SSL to communicate with their ISP to
        download mail.

        When your modem connects, can you ping an IP address?

        Go to a MS-DOS window and type in:

        Ping 64.58.76.228

        You probably already tried it, but I want to see the error message if
        you get one.

        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 15, 2002
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 15, 2002
            Hi Ed;

            Possibly your Anti Virus or Firewall is blocking the input.
            You have probably done the following tests, However ... :)
            For Win 98
            Go to your Dial-Up Networking, right click your ISP, and select
            Properties. Select Server Type| TCP/IP Settings and be sure
            Use Default Gateway on remote server is checked.
            The modem can be checked in Win 98 by selecting
            Control Panel| modem| Diagnostics| Com #| More Info.
            If you don't receive an error your modem is OK.
            Some errors are normal for different modems.
            If you receive an error, check with the modem handbook,
            manufacturer.

            Good Luck, Len

            At 03:29 PM 12/14/02 -0600, you wrote:
            >The modem in my newer computer is acting up. It connects to the ISP and
            >receives about 1500 bytes. Then it will not make a connection to my mail
            >or the internet. The software is properly set up, the support person from
            >the ISP and I checked it out. He says my modem has a problem. We have
            >had no lightning or power outage problems. I wonder if there is a way to
            >check the modem and/or the software that causes it to operate. Can I prove
            >it is faulty hardware without removing it and putting it in another
            >computer?? Thanks.
            >Ed
          • Ed Brown
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 15, 2002
              Len,
              This might be the problem on checking the modem it is on com3 and I think it
              should be on com1. It was working fine until one day last week it just
              stopped connecting to the ISP. If that is the case how do I switch it back
              to COM1?
              Ed
              > Possibly your Anti Virus or Firewall is blocking the input.
              > You have probably done the following tests, However ... :)
              > For Win 98
              > Go to your Dial-Up Networking, right click your ISP, and select
              > Properties. Select Server Type| TCP/IP Settings and be sure
              > Use Default Gateway on remote server is checked.
              > The modem can be checked in Win 98 by selecting
              > Control Panel| modem| Diagnostics| Com #| More Info.
              > If you don't receive an error your modem is OK.
              > Some errors are normal for different modems.
              > If you receive an error, check with the modem handbook,
              > manufacturer.
              >
              > Good Luck, Len
              >
              > At 03:29 PM 12/14/02 -0600, you wrote:
              > >The modem in my newer computer is acting up. It connects to the ISP and
              > >receives about 1500 bytes. Then it will not make a connection to my mail
              > >or the internet. The software is properly set up, the support person
              from
              > >the ISP and I checked it out. He says my modem has a problem. We have
              > >had no lightning or power outage problems. I wonder if there is a way to
              > >check the modem and/or the software that causes it to operate. Can I
              prove
              > >it is faulty hardware without removing it and putting it in another
              > >computer?? Thanks.
              > >Ed

            • Brian Binder
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 15, 2002

                Instead of pinging an IP address like you already successfully did, ping
                the DNS name.

                The number correspond to Yahoo!

                So go back and try to:

                Ping www.yahoo.com

                And see if you get replies or not.

                Also, what mail program are you using?

                Brian

                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 15, 2002
                  Basically, I received the same message, 4 packets, sent and received times a
                  little lower the average being 168milliseconds.

                  I am using IE 6.0 with WinME.
                  Ed

                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 15, 2002
                    But your mail client cannot be IE.

                    Is it Outlook Express?

                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 15, 2002
                      Sorry, yes it is

                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 15, 2002
                        It does appear that com3 is correct for the computer that I am using has its
                        modem on com3. And I am using OE 5.0 as mail program.
                        > Possibly your Anti Virus or Firewall is blocking the input.
                        > You have probably done the following tests, However ... :)
                        > For Win 98
                        > Go to your Dial-Up Networking, right click your ISP, and select
                        > Properties. Select Server Type| TCP/IP Settings and be sure
                        > Use Default Gateway on remote server is checked.
                        > The modem can be checked in Win 98 by selecting
                        > Control Panel| modem| Diagnostics| Com #| More Info.
                        > If you don't receive an error your modem is OK.
                        > Some errors are normal for different modems.
                        > If you receive an error, check with the modem handbook,
                        > manufacturer.
                        >
                        > Good Luck, Len
                        >
                        > At 03:29 PM 12/14/02 -0600, you wrote:
                        > >The modem in my newer computer is acting up. It connects to the ISP and
                        > >receives about 1500 bytes. Then it will not make a connection to my mail
                        > >or the internet. The software is properly set up, the support person
                        from
                        > >the ISP and I checked it out. He says my modem has a problem. We have
                        > >had no lightning or power outage problems. I wonder if there is a way to
                        > >check the modem and/or the software that causes it to operate. Can I
                        prove
                        > >it is faulty hardware without removing it and putting it in another
                        > >computer?? Thanks.
                        > >Ed

                      • Brian Binder
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 15, 2002
                          Try this:

                          Remember the IP address I gave you before?

                          Open up IE and put it in.

                          See if it takes you to Yahoo.

                          Next, Open up Outlook Express and go to Tools-->Accounts-->Mail tab, and
                          select your account.

                          Hit Properties and go to the Advanced Tab.

                          For Outgoing and Incoming, there are checkboxes for SSL communications.

                          Normally SSL isn't used for ISP's.

                          If they are checked, uncheck them and try your mail connection again to
                          see if you can connect.

                          Brian

                          > Basically, I received the same message, 4 packets, sent and received
                          > times a
                          > little lower the average being 168milliseconds.
                          >
                          > I am using IE 6.0 with WinME.
                          > Ed

                        • Len
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 15, 2002
                            Hi Ed;

                            Windows automatically assigns ports and resources when a device is
                            installed. I have never made a change to these settings,however I
                            have used the following procedure for a similar problem.

                            Remove and Reinstall A Modem.
                            1. Make a note of all your present settings.
                            2. Go to
                            Control Panel| System|Device Manager| Modem/your Modem| Properties.
                            3. Make a note of all your present settings and driver info.
                            4. Go to
                            Control Panel| System|Device Manager| Modem/your modem| Remove.
                            5. Shutdown, Power Off
                            6. Power On, Start
                            7. Windows should find the new hardware, If not, go to
                            Control Panel| Add New Hardware and use the install wizard.
                            8. Follow the modem manual and/or on-screen instructions.

                            More good luck, Len

                            At 02:35 PM 12/15/02 -0600, you wrote:
                            >Len,
                            >This might be the problem on checking the modem it is on com3 and I think it
                            >should be on com1. It was working fine until one day last week it just
                            >stopped connecting to the ISP. If that is the case how do I switch it back
                            >to COM1?
                            >Ed

                          • Ed Brown
                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 15, 2002
                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 15, 2002
                                Hi all,

                                Could you please try to remove duplicated parts of the older messages
                                from your messages? I know it happens sometimes, but this thread can
                                do without all the repetitions.

                                Thank you,

                                Hugo
                              • Jim Hall
                                Message 15 of 28 , Dec 15, 2002
                                  Ed,

                                  If you are successfully pinging IPA's, your modem is working fine.

                                  I have seen the behavior you are experiencing occur after using MSCONFIG to modify the startup sequence.

                                  If you have recently (while troubleshooting or otherwise) used MSCONFIG to remove anything from the Startup routine, then in MSCONFIG under the "General Tab", you will see "Selective Startup" selected. Look under the "Startup Tab" and make note of all items which are not currently selected, then under the "General Tab" try selecting "Normal Startup" and rebooting to see if it will solve this connection problem. If it does, then you can use other means to remove the unwanted items from the startup routine.

                                  For whatever reason when Selective Startup is selected, there are times when all services needed by IE and OE are not properly loaded.

                                  If this doesn't resolve the problem, then I would suggest re-running the Internet Connection Wizard. The specifics for this are different for different versions of Windows but are covered in the Help files.

                                  Just a thought.

                                  Regards,

                                  Jim

                                  At 03:21 PM 12/15/2002 -0600, you wrote:
                                  >Basically, I received the same message, 4 packets, sent and received times a
                                  >little lower the average being 168milliseconds.
                                • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Dec 16, 2002
                                    Ed,

                                    Re: The modem in my newer computer is acting up. It
                                    connects to the ISP and receives about 1500 bytes. Then it will
                                    not make a connection to my mail or the internet. The software
                                    is properly set up, the support person from the ISP and I checked
                                    it out. He says my modem has a problem. We have had no
                                    lightning or power outage problems. I wonder if there is a way to
                                    check the modem and/or the software that causes it to operate.
                                    Can I prove it is faulty hardware without removing it and putting
                                    it in another computer?? Thanks.

                                    Answer: I had this EXACT trouble on a brand new Windows XP
                                    machine. It was working absolutely fine ... then I installed
                                    Internet Explorer 6, SP 1 and, after that and several cold
                                    reboots, I could connect to the ISP but could not get e-mail nor
                                    web sites! After four hours of troubleshooting, I used the
                                    System Restore feature to go back one day and all was well. I
                                    never found the trouble nor did I install IE 6.00, SP 1 again.

                                    I am not sure if this helps you, but I thought this could
                                    spread light on something that should not have happened.

                                    Regards,
                                    Christopher J. Spilker
                                    mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
                                  • Len
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Dec 16, 2002
                                      Hi Ed, et al;

                                      Chris's post triggered the right set of neurons.
                                      Try reloading
                                      C:\WINDOWS\WINSOCK.DLL and C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WSOCK32.DLL

                                      In Win 98 use C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SFC.EXE to reload from the CD
                                      You may want to reload the dun14-se.exe update.

                                      Hope this works, Len

                                      At 03:29 PM 12/14/02 -0600, you wrote:
                                      >The modem in my newer computer is acting up. It connects to the ISP and
                                      >receives about 1500 bytes. Then it will not make a connection to my mail
                                      >or the internet. The software is properly set up, the support person from
                                      >the ISP and I checked it out. He says my modem has a problem. We have
                                      >had no lightning or power outage problems. I wonder if there is a way to
                                      >check the modem and/or the software that causes it to operate. Can I prove
                                      >it is faulty hardware without removing it and putting it in another
                                      >computer?? Thanks.
                                      >Ed
                                    • Ed Brown
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Dec 16, 2002
                                        These are all on my hard drive on Windows CAB files and I am researching at
                                        the present how to go about finding and downloading from those files the
                                        Drivers, etc that I might need, when I removed the modem from the Device
                                        Manager it would not reload. Says the drivers are missing. So I need to
                                        get into my CAB files and locate it and the drivers then I should be able to
                                        re-install it. Otherwise I may try putting XP on and seeing if can get it
                                        working, if so then perhaps I could pull it from there back over into ME. Or
                                        take all my programs over into XP and keep it but so far I do not like the
                                        way Microsoft is handling XP and would prefer to stick with the older OS
                                        even if it is not as good as XP.
                                        Ed
                                        > Chris's post triggered the right set of neurons.
                                        > Try reloading
                                        > C:\WINDOWS\WINSOCK.DLL and C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WSOCK32.DLL
                                        >
                                        > In Win 98 use C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SFC.EXE to reload from the CD
                                        > You may want to reload the dun14-se.exe update.
                                        >
                                        > Hope this works, Len
                                        >
                                        > At 03:29 PM 12/14/02 -0600, you wrote:
                                        > >The modem in my newer computer is acting up. It connects to the ISP and
                                        > >receives about 1500 bytes. Then it will not make a connection to my mail
                                        > >or the internet. The software is properly set up, the support person
                                        from
                                        > >the ISP and I checked it out. He says my modem has a problem. We have
                                        > >had no lightning or power outage problems. I wonder if there is a way to
                                        > >check the modem and/or the software that causes it to operate. Can I
                                        prove
                                        > >it is faulty hardware without removing it and putting it in another
                                        > >computer?? Thanks.
                                        > >Ed

                                      • hsavage
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Dec 16, 2002
                                          Len wrote:

                                          >Hi Ed;
                                          >
                                          >Possibly your Anti Virus or Firewall is blocking the input.
                                          >You have probably done the following tests, However ... :)
                                          >For Win 98
                                          >
                                          >Good Luck, Len
                                          >
                                          >At 03:29 PM 12/14/02 -0600, you wrote:
                                          >

                                          >>The modem in my newer computer is acting up.
                                          >>Ed

                                          Ed, Len,

                                          Maybe I overlooked any response to Len's suggestion about the firewall
                                          acting up, if so, ignore thisl.

                                          My firewall, which shall remain nameless, creates a condition whereby it
                                          won't allow any network communications. This condition usually happens
                                          when I have altered some setting in the list of allowable and
                                          not-allowable programs and or web addresses that are set up in my log file.

                                          The symptoms produced are identical to the symptoms described by Ed. I
                                          can stay connected to my ISP all day but I can't download the first
                                          email or log on to a webpage. This has happened often enough that this
                                          is the first place I look now. Mine is easily fixed, rightclick the
                                          tray icon and make the correct choice.

                                          So, if Ed has a firewall he should disable it temporarily to see it
                                          anything changes, if he doesn't have a firewall this message is a wasted
                                          effort, Sorry

                                          hrs
                                        • hsavage
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Dec 16, 2002
                                            Ed Brown wrote:

                                            > Says the drivers are missing. So I need to
                                            > get into my CAB files and locate it and the drivers then I should be
                                            able to
                                            > re-install it. Otherwise I may try putting XP on and seeing if can
                                            get it
                                            > working, if so then perhaps I could pull it from there back over into
                                            ME. Or
                                            > take all my programs over into XP and keep it but so far I do not
                                            like the
                                            > way Microsoft is handling XP and would prefer to stick with the older OS
                                            > even if it is not as good as XP.
                                            > Ed

                                            Ed,

                                            Have never used ME but I understand it's just a re-worked version of
                                            98. In trying to reinstall your modem can you not let Windows furnish
                                            any necessary drivers.

                                            Usually you have a pretty wide choice of drivers if you just pick from
                                            what's available from Windows. This should at least get you back on
                                            line and you won't have to rummage thru the CAB's.

                                            If you do decide to try extracting files from cabs, SFC, as Len
                                            suggested, if available, and it should be from the START>RUN menu, may
                                            be all you need.

                                            I have been working on and now refining a simple clip to extract files
                                            from cabs and place them where you choose. You're welcome to the clip,
                                            just let me know.

                                            hrs
                                          • Ed Brown
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Dec 16, 2002
                                              I have had my FireWall and Modem for a couple of years and they have been
                                              very compatible, but I did remove the firewall to check things out and no
                                              help there. Thanks for all the suggestions I really appreciate this list.
                                              Ed
                                              > >Possibly your Anti Virus or Firewall is blocking the input.
                                              > >You have probably done the following tests, However ... :)
                                              > >For Win 98
                                              > >
                                              > >Good Luck, Len
                                              > >
                                              > >At 03:29 PM 12/14/02 -0600, you wrote:
                                              > >

                                              > >>The modem in my newer computer is acting up.
                                              > >>Ed
                                              > >>

                                              > Ed, Len,
                                              >
                                              > Maybe I overlooked any response to Len's suggestion about the firewall
                                              > acting up, if so, ignore thisl.
                                              >
                                              > My firewall, which shall remain nameless, creates a condition whereby it
                                              > won't allow any network communications. This condition usually happens
                                              > when I have altered some setting in the list of allowable and
                                              > not-allowable programs and or web addresses that are set up in my log
                                              file.

                                              > The symptoms produced are identical to the symptoms described by Ed. I
                                              > can stay connected to my ISP all day but I can't download the first
                                              > email or log on to a webpage. This has happened often enough that this
                                              > is the first place I look now. Mine is easily fixed, rightclick the
                                              > tray icon and make the correct choice.
                                              >
                                              > So, if Ed has a firewall he should disable it temporarily to see it
                                              > anything changes, if he doesn't have a firewall this message is a wasted
                                              > effort, Sorry
                                              >
                                              > hrs

                                            • Jan Rosenstreich
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Dec 17, 2002
                                                On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 19:21:12 -0600, you wrote:

                                                >I have had my FireWall and Modem for a couple of years and they have been
                                                >very compatible, but I did remove the firewall to check things out and no
                                                >help there. Thanks for all the suggestions I really appreciate this list.

                                                Did you remove or just disable the firewall. BTW, what firewall are you
                                                using? Sometimes removing or disabling a firewall will cause it to
                                                block all connections (this is sometimes a built-in protection against a
                                                virus/trojan/worm trying to disable your firewall).

                                                Anyway, since you were able to successfully PING an address both in
                                                numeric and hostname forms, your modem is working fine, the TCP/IP stack
                                                is working fine, and you are getting DNS lookup.

                                                My guess is that your problem is either firewall related or something
                                                wrong in IE and/or OE (since they probably share some of the same
                                                files).

                                                Next step - with your firewall disabled or removed, are you still able
                                                to ping the earlier addresses? If your firewall is still installed,
                                                look for an entry in the programs (applications) section called "TCP/IP
                                                Ping Command". Is it there? Did your firewall ask you to grant this
                                                program permission when you originally Pinged the address? Are IE and
                                                OE listed and do they have permission to access the internet?

                                                The answers to the above questions will help to determine the next
                                                troubleshooting steps.

                                                Jan

                                                --
                                                Jan Rosenstreich
                                                Independent Distributor #130-646
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Dec 18, 2002
                                                  > On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 19:21:12 -0600, you wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > >I have had my FireWall and Modem for a couple of years and they have been
                                                  > >very compatible, but I did remove the firewall to check things out and no
                                                  > >help there. Thanks for all the suggestions I really appreciate this list.
                                                  >
                                                  > Did you remove or just disable the firewall. BTW, what firewall are you
                                                  > using? Sometimes removing or disabling a firewall will cause it to
                                                  > block all connections (this is sometimes a built-in protection against a
                                                  > virus/trojan/worm trying to disable your firewall).
                                                  >
                                                  > Anyway, since you were able to successfully PING an address both in
                                                  > numeric and hostname forms, your modem is working fine, the TCP/IP stack
                                                  > is working fine, and you are getting DNS lookup.
                                                  >
                                                  > My guess is that your problem is either firewall related or something
                                                  > wrong in IE and/or OE (since they probably share some of the same
                                                  > files).
                                                  I am using the free version of ZoneAlarm. After using the Help program on
                                                  ME I find that the modem is on COM3 but when I go to Control Panel, System,
                                                  Device Manager, Ports (COM and LPT) and open it I find Communication Port
                                                  COM1, Communication Port COM2, Printer Port LPT1.

                                                  Notice there is no COM3. All the other computers I have and this one put the
                                                  MoDem on COM3. So the MoDem is on COM 3, but I have no COM3 listed under
                                                  device manager.

                                                  > Next step - with your firewall disabled or removed, are you still able
                                                  > to ping the earlier addresses?

                                                  Yes I just did it again this morning and in addition pinged my own URL by
                                                  the numbers and by the host name and it worked also with the fire wall
                                                  removed.
                                                  If your firewall is still installed,
                                                  > look for an entry in the programs (applications) section called "TCP/IP
                                                  > Ping Command". Is it there?
                                                  TCP/IP Ping Command is there and has been granted permission to use the
                                                  internet as well as TCP/IP.
                                                  Did your firewall ask you to grant this
                                                  > program permission when you originally Pinged the address?
                                                  No I had previously granted all permissions
                                                  Are IE and
                                                  > OE listed and do they have permission to access the internet? Yes.
                                                  >
                                                  > The answers to the above questions will help to determine the next
                                                  > troubleshooting steps.
                                                  >
                                                  > Jan
                                                  >
                                                  > --
                                                  > Jan Rosenstreich
                                                  > Independent Distributor #130-646
                                                  > Multi-Pure Drinking Water Filtration Systems
                                                  > http://www.castle.net/~mystic/pages/multintr.html

                                                • Brian Binder
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Dec 18, 2002
                                                    It really makes no difference that COM3 is not listed. Just an FYI.

                                                    Have you tried Len's advice on removing the modem and reinstalling it?

                                                    I think that's your best bet at this point.

                                                    Are there any updated drivers for it? (I don't know if you mentioned
                                                    this already)

                                                    Brian

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Dec 18, 2002
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Dec 18, 2002
                                                        On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 10:34:00 -0600, Ed Brown wrote:

                                                        >Notice there is no COM3. All the other computers I have and this one put the
                                                        >MoDem on COM3. So the MoDem is on COM 3, but I have no COM3 listed under
                                                        >device manager.

                                                        I wouldn't worry about the COM ports. If you were able to ping and
                                                        receive a reply, the modem is working. It also shows the TCP/IP
                                                        protocol and the other network settings are ok. Since Zone Alarm Free
                                                        lets out the TCP Ping Command, it seems to working ok as well.

                                                        My advice is to reinstall IE and OE. Perhaps some common file that is
                                                        used by both is missing or got corrupted. If you have another browser
                                                        on your computer such as Netscape, Opera, Mozilla, try it to access the
                                                        web. They don't use the same files as IE. If you have another email
                                                        program on your system, try setting it up to check your email.

                                                        Jan