Re: [NTO] Spams On A Website

  • K. Anthony Cartlidge
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 15, 2002
      On my own sites I use a MySQL table and force the user to register first. If you set their password to a random one upon registration then mail it to them, it guarantees they cannot log in to make posts if their provided email address is not genuine as they will never know the password. As a further check, you may want to ban registrations using anonymous email services.

      > At 11:27 2002.12.15, Ray Shapp wrote:
      >
      > >I'm looking for an easy way to "moderate" (censor) the postings.
      >
      > Can't you have user register before they are allowed to post? Or maybe that
      > isn't an option.
      >
      > Lotta

    • K. Anthony Cartlidge
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 15, 2002
        Try going here:

        http://www.hotscripts.com/Perl/Scripts_and_Programs/

        > Hi Lotta,
        >
        > >>Can't you have user register before they are allowed to post?<<<<<
        >
        > That's an alternative to moderating the list. How does one do that? After
        > building a database of good guys, about half the posts are replies from our
        > club members, and they could go thru without examination. I usually don't
        > recognize legitimate posters from among the general public, therefore I'd have
        > to write all the logic a moderated list would require -- collect the message
        > and the sender's name, put the good ones into a form and re-post. I'd have
        > the added burden of adding that sender to the good guys list.
        >
        > Hearing no easy way to implement a moderated list, I guess I'll just have to
        > get out the perl manual and go to work. No database required -- just make
        > decisions on basis of message content.
        >
        > Thanks for your interest,
        >
        > Ray Shapp
        > Watchung, NJ

      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 15, 2002
          Hi Srish,

          >>.In your form offer a randomly generated form number.<<<<<

          THAT'S IT!

          Great idea. Thanks you VERY much!

          Ray Shapp
          Watchung, NJ
        • Jan Rosenstreich
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 17, 2002
            On Sun, 15 Dec 2002 01:56:25 -0500, Ray Shapp wrote:

            >Recently, the discussion forum on a website I maintain has been regularly
            >spammed. We get at least five spams a day. They look like they are being
            >computer-generated from some place in Asia. The forum accepts input via a
            >perl script which posts them to a web page.

            I don't know if this will help but can you limit the script so it only
            works when accessed from your domain? That is, the scripting would only
            work if the person was on your website and submitted the form. This
            would prevent anyone from remotely running your script.

            Jan
            --
            Jan Rosenstreich
            Independent Distributor #130-646
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 17, 2002
              Hi Jan,

              >>.That is, the scripting would only work if the person was on your website
              and submitted the form.<<<<<

              Thanks for your suggestion.

              The discussion forum is meant to be open to anyone anywhere. We are an
              astronomy club. Most of the messages on the forum are astronomy questions or
              conjectures that our members respond to.

              Keep looking up!

              Ray Shapp
              Watchung, NJ