Who is moderating these days?

  • Christine
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 13, 2002
      I've had a nasty hard drive failure and want to get copies of the digests
      for all these lists from 11/2 until 12/11. I'm hoping I don't have to
      download each individual email from the web!

      Anyone ever experienced OS corruption? The drive itself is evidently,
      physically OK. <sigh>

      As a friend of mine put it, a hard drive only crashes after you've done a
      ton of work, because it requires a ton or work to make it happen.

      Just when I was getting my clips cleaned up, because I FINALLY got the hang
      of the yes/no thing.

      TIA, all!

      Christine

      Introducing NetZero Long Distance
      1st month Free!
    • Julie
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 13, 2002
        Hi Christine,

        >I've had a nasty hard drive failure and want to get copies of the digests
        >for all these lists from 11/2 until 12/11. I'm hoping I don't have to
        >download each individual email from the web!

        I've just subscribed a second address for digest delivery, but I'm not
        saving them, just using them to make sure I'm getting all the messages.
        Yahoo's been a little funky lately with message delivery.

        You might want to try posting to the various lists and see if anyone saves
        digests and can forward them to you. Sheri archived a couple of the lists
        in a format that can be read by some email clients that you can find in the
        Files sections, but I'm not sure what lists or the dates that would be
        included. You can also check the various lists' archives for the beginning
        of November, look for the message number you'd want to start with and use
        the format

        (this is the accurate message number 3646 for the beginning of November for
        this list for a total of 3813 messages)
        and save them as htm or strip out the htm or whatever?

        Julie
      • Christine
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 13, 2002
          Thanks. I didn't want to SPAM the lists, so I thought I'd try this venue
          first. :)
          Thanks for the online shortcut, though. If push comes to shove, I'll sure
          do that! Far better than individual emails.

          I appreciate it!
          Christine
          >I've had a nasty hard drive failure and want to get copies of the digests
          >for all these lists from 11/2 until 12/11. I'm hoping I don't have to
          >download each individual email from the web!

          I've just subscribed a second address for digest delivery, but I'm not
          saving them, just using them to make sure I'm getting all the messages.
          Yahoo's been a little funky lately with message delivery.

          You might want to try posting to the various lists and see if anyone saves
          digests and can forward them to you. Sheri archived a couple of the lists
          in a format that can be read by some email clients that you can find in
          the
          Files sections, but I'm not sure what lists or the dates that would be
          included. You can also check the various lists' archives for the beginning
          of November, look for the message number you'd want to start with and use
          the format

          =1
          (this is the accurate message number 3646 for the beginning of November
          for
          this list for a total of 3813 messages)
          and save them as htm or strip out the htm or whatever?

          Julie

        • Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 13, 2002
            Hi Julie,

            nd=1
            (this is the accurate message number 3646 for the beginning of November<<<<<<

            That's a very useful device. I assume that same form would work with any
            other Yahoo Group if its correct name were used.

            What does the "viscount=100" mean?

            Where can I go to learn about other such "utilities" that are built into the
            Yahoo Group system? For example, how would I get all the messages in the NTP
            Clips Group from say number 175 to 613?

            Thanks for the info,

            Ray Shapp
            Watchung, NJ
          • Julie
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 13, 2002
              Hi Ray,

              >(this is the accurate message number 3646 for the beginning of November<<<<<<

              >That's a very useful device. I assume that same form would work with any
              >other Yahoo Group if its correct name were used.

              It works great as long as you know what number to start with :-).

              This is the only trick I'm familiar with. I think I picked this up from a
              list owner's mailing list. I don't know if you can retrieve more than 100
              messages at a time

              >What does the "viscount=100" mean?

              I'm not sure. Maybe Alice is lurking somewhere about and can shed some
              light on this :-)?

              Julie
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 13, 2002
                At 00:09 2002.12.14, Ray Shapp wrote:
                >Hi Julie,

                > &expand=1>
                >
                >What does the "viscount=100" mean?

                Change it and you'll find out. :-)
                It's the number of posts displayed per page.

                Lotta
              • Ray Shapp
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 13, 2002
                  Hi Lotta and Julie,

                  >..It's the number of posts displayed per page.<<<<

                  You are right. 100 messages is the maximum number that can be streamed
                  together. If you want more than 100, the starting message number in the
                  search request would have to be modified and resubmitted.

                  It's unfortunate that one must learn of these gems from word of mouth
                  (keyboard). Yahoo should have a meaningful Help section for comprehensive
                  guidance in these arcana.

                  Thanks for the help..

                  Ray Shapp
                  Watchung, NJ
                • Julie
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 14, 2002
                    At 01:38 AM 12/14/2002 -0500, you wrote:
                    >Hi Lotta and Julie,
                    >
                    > >..It's the number of posts displayed per page.<<<<
                    >
                    >You are right. 100 messages is the maximum number that can be streamed
                    >together. If you want more than 100, the starting message number in the
                    >search request would have to be modified and resubmitted.

                    Here's another one...
                    If you want to see the most recent # of messages on a list in the expanded
                    format try this
                    anywhere from 5
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-OffTopic/messages/?viscount=-5&expand=1
                    to 100
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-OffTopic/messages/?viscount=-100&expand=1

                    It's a great way of reading the messages on the web and bypassing the ads :-).

                    Julie
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 16, 2002
                      Hi Christine,

                      For the most part, it appears Julie is and I am very grateful for
                      her doing all she does. It really frees some of my time up a
                      lot. Cindy does my proof reading on the different list messages
                      and has the same privileges as Julie does which is everything
                      except for deleting the group. I don't even want that command. <g>

                      I've been really sick with pseudomonas pneumonia, a nasty flu, and
                      hopefully recovering from strep throat. Only God knows what else.

                      >I FINALLY got the hang of the yes/no thing.

                      Please teach my children what parts of yes/no they don't
                      understand! :)

                      See ya in the funnies,
                      Jody Adair, Prov. 15:15

                      http://www.clean-funnies.com
                    • Gossie
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 16, 2002
                        And speaking of PROOFREADING <-- one word <G>
                        Oops..sorry bout that, it's just supposed to be list messages, not email
                        messages, so I take that proofreading back.

                        Julie does a great job of moderating, but I sure am surprised Jody even let
                        her do it. He likes to do everything himself, even if it means he falls
                        asleep in front of the computer. (big grin) We have the groups on
                        moderation. This means that all new subscribers are moderated, time limit
                        varies depending on who isn't sick at the time, and how busy we are. So if
                        you are new and you think that it's taking a while before your message goes
                        through, it might be because we haven't gotten home from grocery shopping,
                        or taking the kids to the doctor, or something like that. Jody explains it
                        better. We do the moderation for a reason tho. Mainly because us
                        moderating what goes in, prevents porno arriving from our NoteTab groups to
                        your email box. It stops at the group, and I go in manually about once a
                        week and delete the offending crap, uh, I mean material.

                        Jody (hugs), I hope you get well soon. I've been sick off and on for the
                        past month and a half also, much better now, and wasn't as sick as you
                        were/are, poor Jody.

                        I wish everyone here a Merry Christmas, and hope that you have all your
                        Christmas shopping done. Well??? Have you? I sure don't.

                        Cindy

                        At 07:12 PM 12/16/2002 -0600, you wrote:

                        >Hi Christine,
                        >
                        >For the most part, it appears Julie is and I am very grateful for
                        >her doing all she does. It really frees some of my time up a
                        >lot. Cindy does my proof reading on the different list messages
                        >and has the same privileges as Julie does which is everything
                        >except for deleting the group. I don't even want that command. <g>
                        >
                        >I've been really sick with pseudomonas pneumonia, a nasty flu, and
                        >hopefully recovering from strep throat. Only God knows what else.
                        >
                        > >I FINALLY got the hang of the yes/no thing.
                        >
                        >Please teach my children what parts of yes/no they don't
                        >understand! :)
                        >
                        >See ya in the funnies,
                        >Jody Adair, Prov. 15:15
                        >
                        >Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves
                        > for they shall never cease to be amused.
                        >
                        > http://www.clean-funnies.com

                        >---
                        >Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

                      • Christine
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 17, 2002
                          I am very sorry you're ill! My DH is also down and out with (and I quote
                          the Kaiser idiots:) "rabid, rapid Strep. And we will figure out what those
                          streaks are in his chest x-rays." So we're flirting with pneumonia here.
                          Flirting? It's an engagement, I think. I hope you're get off more safely
                          and coming out of this! Any get-well tips for Rich, since it sounds like
                          you're going through it first? You didn't happen to blow an upper abdomen
                          hernia a few weeks ago, or so, did you? Rich did, so with every cough, he's
                          got that to contend with, too. You guys are sick puppies!

                          I've had some very weird developments in my HDD failure. As a matter of
                          fact, I'm accessing it right now. I'm coming to believe it's actually an
                          IDE controller on the MB, because although the CDs work on the primary IDE
                          connector, NO hard drives do, including a brand new one from Maxtor. If
                          this is primary on the SECOND IDE controller, I can get into the drive. So
                          needless to say I've done the most thorough back-up I've ever done. And now
                          I'll try working with my MB warrantee. We'll see.

                          But Julie's tips 'n tricks have come in very handy! Particularly for a
                          friend who moderates a Yahoo cooking group. Her HDD crashed, then her
                          toddler daughter used her back-up CDs for the "bricks" in Follow the Yellow
                          Brick Road. She WAS up a creek.

                          As far as teaching your kids the yes/no thing? Forget it. I can't keep my
                          cats and dog in line. Thank God I'm not a mom!

                          I appreciate the note. Go back to bed.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 17, 2002
                            Hi Christine,

                            >"rabid, rapid Strep. And we will figure out what those streaks
                            >are in his chest x-rays."

                            Sounds familiar. :(

                            >Any get-well tips for Rich, since it sounds like you're going
                            >through it first?

                            I try to stay away from antibiotics altogether. We use colloidal
                            silver for the most part. I know for my pseudomonas pneumonia it
                            kills it in days. The first time I had it my blood pressure was
                            down to 60/50 and they admitted me to ICU. I wasn't released
                            from the hospital for nigh 2 months and then on home health care
                            running 2 strong antibiotics IV four times a day still. I made a
                            machine to make it via Radio Shack assorted stuff, but they can
                            be bought as well. I thought the stuff on the web I read on it
                            was just some other sales pitched for junk. We have been amazed
                            at what it can do! Lots of prayer in Jesus' name as well for the
                            born again folk. ;) We don't leave home without Him!

                            >You didn't happen to blow an upper abdomen hernia a few weeks
                            >ago, or so, did you?

                            Hard to say. I had a terrible pain above my lower right rib for
                            a couple of days (slept nigh 48hrs straight). I had a hunch that
                            it might be trapped gas because it hurt something fierce when
                            breathing or coughing and of course both <g> were happening.
                            Anyhow, I figured I'd breath in as deep as I could since when I
                            tried breathing a bit deeper the pain from breathing got less, or
                            should I say didn't start where I already breathed it seemed. So,
                            I went for it and there was a pop and then no mo' pain.

                            >But Julie's...HDD crashed, then her toddler daughter used her
                            >back-up CDs for the "bricks" in Follow the Yellow Brick Road.

                            LOL, way to go little one! :) I knew all those AOL CDs were good
                            for something other than wasting resources, cluttering up my
                            mailbox, (let alone shops/stores), and playing skeet and Frisbee
                            with them!

                            It took about a year to train my ?-4 year old (at the time) to
                            quit changing the settings on my machine. ;) It was sort of a
                            game we played since he had to show Mom how to change not only
                            the Desktop settings but also others so that she could do
                            whatever she was wanting. <bg> He just turned 7 and is getting
                            around the computer, my old one ;), quite well now still having
                            most the high scores on the games over Mom and sis'.

                            Thanks!

                            http://www.clean-funnies.com

                            you missed a good joke!
                            See ya in the funnies!

                          • Christine
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 18, 2002
                              I'm not familiar with colloidal silver, although I have heard the term.
                              We're open to suggestion, because these antibiotics aren't making a
                              difference. Frankly, he's had this sore throat for over 6 months, but it's
                              only recently kicked into high gear. To a man, people have asked me why
                              he's not in the hospital and several have asked if he's seen a pulmonary
                              specialist.

                              I'm not sure I understand your reference to Radio Shack and a machine...?
                              Do you make the CS at home?

                              I am really sorry you've been so ill. There's just no way to MAKE ourselves
                              feel better, which is what I'd love to do for you and for my DH! I've been
                              blessed for a long time in not catching anything. (I attribute it to a
                              heavy, daily Ashtanga yoga practice augmenting already good health!:) My
                              throat is scratchy today, but I think that's all in my noggin.

                              I'm home again most of the time. If there's anything I could do to help you
                              and these busy moderators, let me know. I moderate several, busy message
                              boards on CompuServe and iVillage. What's a little more. :)

                              I hope every day sees you feeling better.
                              Christine
                              >"rabid, rapid Strep. And we will figure out what those streaks
                              >are in his chest x-rays."

                              Sounds familiar. :(

                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 18, 2002
                                Hi Christine,

                                >...colloidal silver [CS],...antibiotics aren't making a
                                >difference. Frankly, he's had this sore throat for over 6 months,
                                >but it's only recently kicked into high gear.

                                When I first had my sore throat and raspy voice about 6 years ago
                                for over three months and antibiotics did not take it away I when
                                to an ear, nose, and throat (ENT) doctor. It turned out to be
                                cancer of the throat right below my larynx. My larynx got messed
                                up due to too much radiation (not known by me at the time) in
                                attempt to kill the cancer. The next move was surgery or
                                continue radiation and start chemo. I chose the chemo route.

                                >I'm not sure I understand your reference to Radio Shack and a
                                >machine...? Do you make the CS at home?

                                The following two paragraphs will get you completely lost or
                                bored to death unless you like playing with electronics, so just
                                skip over if wanted.

                                Oops, I figured Radio Shack was kind of like WalMart; if you live
                                in or near any town of substantial size there is a Radio Shack.
                                It sells electronic parts and such like resisters, diodes, light
                                emitting diodes (LED), wire, fuses, boom boxes, CD-Rs, blank
                                cassettes, batteries, etc.

                                Yes, I built a machine, (a simple device actually, well for me
                                anyway <g>) that makes the CS. In short, you need a twelve volt
                                power supply like garage door batteries or an AC to DC power
                                supply/converter. I used three 12VDC batteries connecting them in
                                a parallel circuit so that the output was 12VDC and not 36VDC
                                like a series circuit. (I think a car battery would be too much
                                amperage.) You then hook the ends up to electrodes and put
                                regular 'ol troy silver (about $6-7 last time I checked). I cu it
                                in half, one for each side of the circuit -/+VDC. When the
                                electrodes (w/silver) are placed in distilled water it creates a
                                full circuit with the batteries, etc. and the water being the
                                conductor like, sort of like a light switch. While the current
                                passes through the circuit tiny practicals of the silver are
                                released in the water, hence CS, a mixture with properties
                                between those of a solution and fine suspension, in this case
                                silver. There is a bit more to it, but that is the basics.

                                >I'm home again most of the time. If there's anything I could do
                                >to help you and these busy moderators, let me know. I moderate
                                >several, busy message boards on CompuServe and iVillage. What's
                                >a little more. :)

                                Thanks much! Perhaps I'll write you about it sometime. ;)

                                >I hope every day sees you feeling better.

                                Yes, much, thanks!

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 5, 2003
                                  Hi Cindy,

                                  (I found this in my Out box not mailed.;)

                                  >Julie does a great job of moderating, but I sure am surprised
                                  >Jody even let her do it. He likes to do everything himself, even
                                  >if it means he falls asleep in front of the computer. (big grin)

                                  I really didn't mind doing it all, but so many lists and list
                                  members coupled with others things to do, it just got to be too
                                  much for me. My latest project is clean-funnies.com and hope to
                                  soon have it completely finished for now ;) very soon; "For
                                  Immediate Release." :) I just have some minor touch up and
                                  glitch fixes.

                                  I recently bought:
                                  fookes.us, sojourner.us, sojourners-software.com, but haven't
                                  done anything with them yet - some year. <g>

                                  and then, there are others that are kind of just there. ;)
                                  http://home.earthlink.net/~av1611 <-- just there <g>
                                  http://home.earthlink.net/~testbed <-- For my testing
                                  http://home.earthlink.net/~weddinggowns <-- My wife's

                                  >Mainly because us moderating what goes in, prevents porno [and
                                  >other SPAM] arriving from our NoteTab groups to your email box.
                                  >It stops at the group, and I go in manually about once a week and
                                  >delete...

                                  Thanks! I just deny the posts and don't get around to going to
                                  yahoogroups figuring that it is suppose to be deleting when I
                                  reject the post. I don't always reject them, but simply delete
                                  them, hence the yahoogroups pile up.

                                  >I wish everyone here a Merry Christmas, and hope that you have all your
                                  >Christmas shopping done. Well??? Have you? I sure don't.

                                  Of course not; I'm a man. I hope Walmart is open Christmas eve. <g>

                                  See ya,
                                  Jody

                                  Do you know where you will spend eternity?
                                  Ask me for the scripture below if you want
                                  to know what it says.
                                  Rom. 3:23; 6:23; Eph. 2:8-9; 1Cor. 15:3-4
                                  Acts 16:30-31, 27:25; Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                                  Sojourners of the Lord
                                  http://www.purewords.org/sojourner
                                  Sojourners Clean-Funnies.com
                                  http://www.clean-funnies.com
                                • Gossie
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 5, 2003
                                    Jody, I was messing with you <G> Wasn't being serious at all, about the
                                    'letting someone else do it" comment. At one time, you wanted to do it
                                    all, but you finally got some sense and delegated. ROFL

                                    As far as the porn stuff, I'm surprised, there isn't that much, probably
                                    cuz you do deny it, however, if you want to stop doing that, I can take
                                    care of that part. Cuz I do go in manually about once a week and approve
                                    or delete, depending on what it is. It will save you a couple of extra
                                    keystrokes. I admit I don't do as much as I used to. I'm just tired all
                                    the time (comes from dad wanting to go out every single day and I do the
                                    driving, it's amazing how tired you get just driving, LOL). BTW, add me to
                                    the clean funnies and make me moderator, I don't have that one on here. I
                                    don't read them, but I sure can moderate them like I do everything else. <G>

                                    Was Walmart open Xmas eve? It usually is here. At least they used to do
                                    it when I worked there.

                                    I remember checking out my outbox once and having to send something that
                                    had been sitting there 9 months. Well, I didn't really have to send it,
                                    but it let's others know for sure that you didn't forget them, you just
                                    forgot to send it. LOL

                                    Cindy