Re: [NTO] Windows XP

  • LaurieK
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 12, 2002

      > Outlook Express. Is there anyother e-mail application I asked <G> Answer:
      > Not Really, Bill replied.
      > Ed

      Yes Ed, there are others... but as Brian had stated... this can be done in
      Outlook very easily, however Outlook Express is not set up for this type of
      functionality, whether it be XP or any other Windows version. A limitation
      of the application as it were. I'm using OE 5.5, have not gotten into the
      6.0 realm yet.... 5.5 suits my needs fine.. if it ain't broke, I've learned
      with Microsoft...don't fix it.

      I know for certain this can be done easily in the Full version of Outlook.

      Someone said using rules.... I"m sure it could be done but good luck... very
      good luck to you sir....

      (there are other apps such as Eudora, which I don't use....but I think
      Outlook will fit the bill)

      Laurie
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 12, 2002
        Hi Ed,

        > > I don't much about XP and need some help. There are 4 users on the
        > > machine. Each has his/her desktop and designated part of the computer.
        > How do I fix the E-Mail so that each person gets only his messages?
        > >
        > > =========================
        > > First question that comes to mind is, what application are you using as
        > > your email application??
        >
        > Outlook Express. Is there anyother e-mail application I asked <G> Answer:
        > Not Really, Bill replied.

        I am not sure about the options your ISP offers, and we really need a little
        more info.

        From the look of your address it may be that you are forced to have a single
        address. In that case, you may want to look at:
        http://www.claithelp.fsworld.co.uk/moreusers.htm where I give one solution.
        Frankly, you probably should be looking at the "identities" route, not
        covered on that page, but I could help you through it, if necessary.

        Before we move to that, however, how do you all connect to your ISP. Are
        all your e-mail account with that ISP or are other family members using
        Hotmail, YahooMail or the like and just using the POP3 facilities of those
        webmail providers?

        Greg
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 12, 2002
          Hi Larry,

          > Another option, if there is only one account, like with
          > Win95/98/ME, is that
          > you can set up Identities, and all users can share the same
          > Program but the
          > data is segregated by Identity. I have not used this feature, so I am not
          > sure of how it segregates email.

          It works in a very similar fashion to Win9x profiles, with about the same
          level of security, but for non-malicious/family users is probably fine.

          You create an identity, and logon to it, password protecting it, if
          required. After the first identity it's is probably best used with a
          Hotmail, or similar, account, using the same dialup ISP as the original
          identity. I use it a lot in the classroom with my Adult Education students
          Works well, until someone just clicks the X title bar button, and because we
          don't password protect them the next student is confused when they don't see
          their own mail! You need to use the FILE menu option "Exit and Log off".
          Then the next user get greeted with a pick list of OE identities.

          Greg