Re: [NTO] Windows XP

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 12, 2002
      Ed,

      In Outlook Express, you can control this by setting up the email accounts in
      Outlook Express only in the Windows user account.

      For example, I have WinXP and have set up my email address under my Windows
      login and my wife cannot see it in Outlook. I set up her email address under
      her Windows login and I cannot see her emails in Outlook.

      Another option, if there is only one account, like with Win95/98/ME, is that
      you can set up Identities, and all users can share the same Program but the
      data is segregated by Identity. I have not used this feature, so I am not
      sure of how it segregates email. It is under the File Menu. This is also
      available for other versions of Windows.

      If you only have one email account for all the users on your PC, and that
      one email account was set up for each user in their own Windows login, each
      Windows user would have different bits and pieces of email for that one
      email account. If this is your situation, each user needs their own email
      account that is only set up in Outlook Under their own login.

      I hope this helps.

      Larry

      Ed Brown wrote:
      > I don't much about XP and need some help. There are 4 users on the
      > machine. Each has his/her desktop and designated part of the computer.
      > How do I fix the E-Mail so that each person gets only his messages? As it
      > stands now if anyone goes into the E-Mail all of it is downloaded to
      > their part of the machine. Since the others cannot get to that person's
      > desktop and area, how is it possible to retrieve your E-Mail from
      > someone's area? Is it possible to have each persons E-Mail go only to
      > them when they want to read their mail? Some get Mail from their
      > boy/girl friend that they do not want the others to read. How do XP
      > users handle this? Thanks, Ed
    • LaurieK
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 12, 2002

        > Outlook Express. Is there anyother e-mail application I asked <G> Answer:
        > Not Really, Bill replied.
        > Ed

        Yes Ed, there are others... but as Brian had stated... this can be done in
        Outlook very easily, however Outlook Express is not set up for this type of
        functionality, whether it be XP or any other Windows version. A limitation
        of the application as it were. I'm using OE 5.5, have not gotten into the
        6.0 realm yet.... 5.5 suits my needs fine.. if it ain't broke, I've learned
        with Microsoft...don't fix it.

        I know for certain this can be done easily in the Full version of Outlook.

        Someone said using rules.... I"m sure it could be done but good luck... very
        good luck to you sir....

        (there are other apps such as Eudora, which I don't use....but I think
        Outlook will fit the bill)

        Laurie
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 12, 2002
          Hi Ed,

          > > I don't much about XP and need some help. There are 4 users on the
          > > machine. Each has his/her desktop and designated part of the computer.
          > How do I fix the E-Mail so that each person gets only his messages?
          > >
          > > =========================
          > > First question that comes to mind is, what application are you using as
          > > your email application??
          >
          > Outlook Express. Is there anyother e-mail application I asked <G> Answer:
          > Not Really, Bill replied.

          I am not sure about the options your ISP offers, and we really need a little
          more info.

          From the look of your address it may be that you are forced to have a single
          address. In that case, you may want to look at:
          http://www.claithelp.fsworld.co.uk/moreusers.htm where I give one solution.
          Frankly, you probably should be looking at the "identities" route, not
          covered on that page, but I could help you through it, if necessary.

          Before we move to that, however, how do you all connect to your ISP. Are
          all your e-mail account with that ISP or are other family members using
          Hotmail, YahooMail or the like and just using the POP3 facilities of those
          webmail providers?

          Greg
        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 12, 2002
            Hi Larry,

            > Another option, if there is only one account, like with
            > Win95/98/ME, is that
            > you can set up Identities, and all users can share the same
            > Program but the
            > data is segregated by Identity. I have not used this feature, so I am not
            > sure of how it segregates email.

            It works in a very similar fashion to Win9x profiles, with about the same
            level of security, but for non-malicious/family users is probably fine.

            You create an identity, and logon to it, password protecting it, if
            required. After the first identity it's is probably best used with a
            Hotmail, or similar, account, using the same dialup ISP as the original
            identity. I use it a lot in the classroom with my Adult Education students
            Works well, until someone just clicks the X title bar button, and because we
            don't password protect them the next student is confused when they don't see
            their own mail! You need to use the FILE menu option "Exit and Log off".
            Then the next user get greeted with a pick list of OE identities.

            Greg