Re: [NTO] Windows XP

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 12, 2002
      > hugo_paulissen wrote:
      >
      > I'm not sure, but you could try to create a number of rules for every
      > user. Suppose you log in as Ed, you create a rule for Ed in OE which
      > only gets the emails for Ed. Mail to other persons is left on the
      > server (I could do that in Outlook). When Amy logs in, she starts up
      > as Amy, starts up OE and (if there is a filter for Amy) she only gets
      > mail sent to Amy. This works if every single individual really has
      > his/her own emailaddress.
      >
      > This works, but you have to find a way to easily duplicate messages
      > and addresses between users (sometimes useful).
      >
      > Hugo

      Ed,

      I think it's possible in Outlook Express, to set up different 'accounts'
      and 'rules' for diverting email to different destinations.

      Dig around in Outlook's menues, you might get lucky.

      hrs
    • Brian Binder
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 12, 2002
        I personally don't use OE because of its bad behavior.

        I DO know that if you were to use the real Microsoft Outlook, a profile
        is created for each users that gets created.

        This means that no one sees each others data, and everyone has their own
        mailboxes, etc.

        Brian

        > Outlook Express. Is there anyother e-mail application I asked <G>
        Answer:
        > Not Really, Bill replied.
        > Ed

        I'm not sure, but you could try to create a number of rules for every
        user. Suppose you log in as Ed, you create a rule for Ed in OE which
        only gets the emails for Ed. Mail to other persons is left on the
        server (I could do that in Outlook). When Amy logs in, she starts up
        as Amy, starts up OE and (if there is a filter for Amy) she only gets
        mail sent to Amy. This works if every single individual really has
        his/her own emailaddress.

        This works, but you have to find a way to easily duplicate messages
        and addresses between users (sometimes useful).

        Hugo

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 12, 2002
          Ed,

          In Outlook Express, you can control this by setting up the email accounts in
          Outlook Express only in the Windows user account.

          For example, I have WinXP and have set up my email address under my Windows
          login and my wife cannot see it in Outlook. I set up her email address under
          her Windows login and I cannot see her emails in Outlook.

          Another option, if there is only one account, like with Win95/98/ME, is that
          you can set up Identities, and all users can share the same Program but the
          data is segregated by Identity. I have not used this feature, so I am not
          sure of how it segregates email. It is under the File Menu. This is also
          available for other versions of Windows.

          If you only have one email account for all the users on your PC, and that
          one email account was set up for each user in their own Windows login, each
          Windows user would have different bits and pieces of email for that one
          email account. If this is your situation, each user needs their own email
          account that is only set up in Outlook Under their own login.

          I hope this helps.

          Larry

          Ed Brown wrote:
          > I don't much about XP and need some help. There are 4 users on the
          > machine. Each has his/her desktop and designated part of the computer.
          > How do I fix the E-Mail so that each person gets only his messages? As it
          > stands now if anyone goes into the E-Mail all of it is downloaded to
          > their part of the machine. Since the others cannot get to that person's
          > desktop and area, how is it possible to retrieve your E-Mail from
          > someone's area? Is it possible to have each persons E-Mail go only to
          > them when they want to read their mail? Some get Mail from their
          > boy/girl friend that they do not want the others to read. How do XP
          > users handle this? Thanks, Ed
        • LaurieK
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 12, 2002

            > Outlook Express. Is there anyother e-mail application I asked <G> Answer:
            > Not Really, Bill replied.
            > Ed

            Yes Ed, there are others... but as Brian had stated... this can be done in
            Outlook very easily, however Outlook Express is not set up for this type of
            functionality, whether it be XP or any other Windows version. A limitation
            of the application as it were. I'm using OE 5.5, have not gotten into the
            6.0 realm yet.... 5.5 suits my needs fine.. if it ain't broke, I've learned
            with Microsoft...don't fix it.

            I know for certain this can be done easily in the Full version of Outlook.

            Someone said using rules.... I"m sure it could be done but good luck... very
            good luck to you sir....

            (there are other apps such as Eudora, which I don't use....but I think
            Outlook will fit the bill)

            Laurie
          • Greg Chapman
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 12, 2002
              Hi Ed,

              > > I don't much about XP and need some help. There are 4 users on the
              > > machine. Each has his/her desktop and designated part of the computer.
              > How do I fix the E-Mail so that each person gets only his messages?
              > >
              > > =========================
              > > First question that comes to mind is, what application are you using as
              > > your email application??
              >
              > Outlook Express. Is there anyother e-mail application I asked <G> Answer:
              > Not Really, Bill replied.

              I am not sure about the options your ISP offers, and we really need a little
              more info.

              From the look of your address it may be that you are forced to have a single
              address. In that case, you may want to look at:
              http://www.claithelp.fsworld.co.uk/moreusers.htm where I give one solution.
              Frankly, you probably should be looking at the "identities" route, not
              covered on that page, but I could help you through it, if necessary.

              Before we move to that, however, how do you all connect to your ISP. Are
              all your e-mail account with that ISP or are other family members using
              Hotmail, YahooMail or the like and just using the POP3 facilities of those
              webmail providers?

              Greg
            • Greg Chapman
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 12, 2002
                Hi Larry,

                > Another option, if there is only one account, like with
                > Win95/98/ME, is that
                > you can set up Identities, and all users can share the same
                > Program but the
                > data is segregated by Identity. I have not used this feature, so I am not
                > sure of how it segregates email.

                It works in a very similar fashion to Win9x profiles, with about the same
                level of security, but for non-malicious/family users is probably fine.

                You create an identity, and logon to it, password protecting it, if
                required. After the first identity it's is probably best used with a
                Hotmail, or similar, account, using the same dialup ISP as the original
                identity. I use it a lot in the classroom with my Adult Education students
                Works well, until someone just clicks the X title bar button, and because we
                don't password protect them the next student is confused when they don't see
                their own mail! You need to use the FILE menu option "Exit and Log off".
                Then the next user get greeted with a pick list of OE identities.

                Greg