RE: [NTO] Windows XP

  • ladyck3@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 12 5:39 AM
      Ed wrote:
      I don't much about XP and need some help. There are 4 users on the
      machine. Each has his/her desktop and designated part of the computer. How
      do I fix the E-Mail so that each person gets only his messages?

      =========================
      First question that comes to mind is, what application are you using as
      your email application??

      http://mail2web.com/ .
    • Ed Brown
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 12 12:54 PM
        > I don't much about XP and need some help. There are 4 users on the
        > machine. Each has his/her desktop and designated part of the computer.
        How
        > do I fix the E-Mail so that each person gets only his messages?
        >
        > =========================
        > First question that comes to mind is, what application are you using as
        > your email application??

        Outlook Express. Is there anyother e-mail application I asked <G> Answer:
        Not Really, Bill replied.
        Ed

      • Julie
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 12 1:37 PM
          Hi Ed,

          >Outlook Express. Is there any other e-mail application I asked <G> Answer:
          >Not Really, Bill replied.

          He wishes <G>! I haven't used an MS email client since the executable
          msimn.exe actually represented the name of the program - Microsoft
          Internet Mail & News (or something along those lines).

          Julie
        • hugo_paulissen <h.paulissen@facburfdcw.u
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 12 3:18 PM
            > Outlook Express. Is there anyother e-mail application I asked <G>
            Answer:
            > Not Really, Bill replied.
            > Ed

            I'm not sure, but you could try to create a number of rules for every
            user. Suppose you log in as Ed, you create a rule for Ed in OE which
            only gets the emails for Ed. Mail to other persons is left on the
            server (I could do that in Outlook). When Amy logs in, she starts up
            as Amy, starts up OE and (if there is a filter for Amy) she only gets
            mail sent to Amy. This works if every single individual really has
            his/her own emailaddress.

            This works, but you have to find a way to easily duplicate messages
            and addresses between users (sometimes useful).

            Hugo
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 12 3:35 PM
              > hugo_paulissen wrote:
              >
              > I'm not sure, but you could try to create a number of rules for every
              > user. Suppose you log in as Ed, you create a rule for Ed in OE which
              > only gets the emails for Ed. Mail to other persons is left on the
              > server (I could do that in Outlook). When Amy logs in, she starts up
              > as Amy, starts up OE and (if there is a filter for Amy) she only gets
              > mail sent to Amy. This works if every single individual really has
              > his/her own emailaddress.
              >
              > This works, but you have to find a way to easily duplicate messages
              > and addresses between users (sometimes useful).
              >
              > Hugo

              Ed,

              I think it's possible in Outlook Express, to set up different 'accounts'
              and 'rules' for diverting email to different destinations.

              Dig around in Outlook's menues, you might get lucky.

              hrs
            • Brian Binder
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 12 3:36 PM
                I personally don't use OE because of its bad behavior.

                I DO know that if you were to use the real Microsoft Outlook, a profile
                is created for each users that gets created.

                This means that no one sees each others data, and everyone has their own
                mailboxes, etc.

                Brian

                > Outlook Express. Is there anyother e-mail application I asked <G>
                Answer:
                > Not Really, Bill replied.
                > Ed

                I'm not sure, but you could try to create a number of rules for every
                user. Suppose you log in as Ed, you create a rule for Ed in OE which
                only gets the emails for Ed. Mail to other persons is left on the
                server (I could do that in Outlook). When Amy logs in, she starts up
                as Amy, starts up OE and (if there is a filter for Amy) she only gets
                mail sent to Amy. This works if every single individual really has
                his/her own emailaddress.

                This works, but you have to find a way to easily duplicate messages
                and addresses between users (sometimes useful).

                Hugo

                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • Larry Hamilton
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 12 3:43 PM
                  Ed,

                  In Outlook Express, you can control this by setting up the email accounts in
                  Outlook Express only in the Windows user account.

                  For example, I have WinXP and have set up my email address under my Windows
                  login and my wife cannot see it in Outlook. I set up her email address under
                  her Windows login and I cannot see her emails in Outlook.

                  Another option, if there is only one account, like with Win95/98/ME, is that
                  you can set up Identities, and all users can share the same Program but the
                  data is segregated by Identity. I have not used this feature, so I am not
                  sure of how it segregates email. It is under the File Menu. This is also
                  available for other versions of Windows.

                  If you only have one email account for all the users on your PC, and that
                  one email account was set up for each user in their own Windows login, each
                  Windows user would have different bits and pieces of email for that one
                  email account. If this is your situation, each user needs their own email
                  account that is only set up in Outlook Under their own login.

                  I hope this helps.

                  Larry

                  Ed Brown wrote:
                  > I don't much about XP and need some help. There are 4 users on the
                  > machine. Each has his/her desktop and designated part of the computer.
                  > How do I fix the E-Mail so that each person gets only his messages? As it
                  > stands now if anyone goes into the E-Mail all of it is downloaded to
                  > their part of the machine. Since the others cannot get to that person's
                  > desktop and area, how is it possible to retrieve your E-Mail from
                  > someone's area? Is it possible to have each persons E-Mail go only to
                  > them when they want to read their mail? Some get Mail from their
                  > boy/girl friend that they do not want the others to read. How do XP
                  > users handle this? Thanks, Ed
                • LaurieK
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 12 3:50 PM

                    > Outlook Express. Is there anyother e-mail application I asked <G> Answer:
                    > Not Really, Bill replied.
                    > Ed

                    Yes Ed, there are others... but as Brian had stated... this can be done in
                    Outlook very easily, however Outlook Express is not set up for this type of
                    functionality, whether it be XP or any other Windows version. A limitation
                    of the application as it were. I'm using OE 5.5, have not gotten into the
                    6.0 realm yet.... 5.5 suits my needs fine.. if it ain't broke, I've learned
                    with Microsoft...don't fix it.

                    I know for certain this can be done easily in the Full version of Outlook.

                    Someone said using rules.... I"m sure it could be done but good luck... very
                    good luck to you sir....

                    (there are other apps such as Eudora, which I don't use....but I think
                    Outlook will fit the bill)

                    Laurie
                  • Greg Chapman
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 12 4:02 PM
                      Hi Ed,

                      > > I don't much about XP and need some help. There are 4 users on the
                      > > machine. Each has his/her desktop and designated part of the computer.
                      > How do I fix the E-Mail so that each person gets only his messages?
                      > >
                      > > =========================
                      > > First question that comes to mind is, what application are you using as
                      > > your email application??
                      >
                      > Outlook Express. Is there anyother e-mail application I asked <G> Answer:
                      > Not Really, Bill replied.

                      I am not sure about the options your ISP offers, and we really need a little
                      more info.

                      From the look of your address it may be that you are forced to have a single
                      address. In that case, you may want to look at:
                      http://www.claithelp.fsworld.co.uk/moreusers.htm where I give one solution.
                      Frankly, you probably should be looking at the "identities" route, not
                      covered on that page, but I could help you through it, if necessary.

                      Before we move to that, however, how do you all connect to your ISP. Are
                      all your e-mail account with that ISP or are other family members using
                      Hotmail, YahooMail or the like and just using the POP3 facilities of those
                      webmail providers?

                      Greg
                    • Greg Chapman
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 12 4:22 PM
                        Hi Larry,

                        > Another option, if there is only one account, like with
                        > Win95/98/ME, is that
                        > you can set up Identities, and all users can share the same
                        > Program but the
                        > data is segregated by Identity. I have not used this feature, so I am not
                        > sure of how it segregates email.

                        It works in a very similar fashion to Win9x profiles, with about the same
                        level of security, but for non-malicious/family users is probably fine.

                        You create an identity, and logon to it, password protecting it, if
                        required. After the first identity it's is probably best used with a
                        Hotmail, or similar, account, using the same dialup ISP as the original
                        identity. I use it a lot in the classroom with my Adult Education students
                        Works well, until someone just clicks the X title bar button, and because we
                        don't password protect them the next student is confused when they don't see
                        their own mail! You need to use the FILE menu option "Exit and Log off".
                        Then the next user get greeted with a pick list of OE identities.

                        Greg