RE: [NTO] Outpost by Agnitium

  • Brian Binder
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 10, 2002
      No prob.

      I actually got a NFR copy from them.

      I wasn't to impressed with it.

      Seems that to FULLY install the 2003 version, you have to first use a
      "previous version wiping utility"

      That's not their exact terminology, but that's what it is. In addition
      to actually uninstalling a previous version, you must run a system
      cleaner to get rid of older registry files that could conflict.

      I don't know about you guys, but I work with the registry like every day
      of my life. I know all about the different hives and handles, etc. and
      I don't like another program doing my dirty work for me.

      You're trusting that a program written for a million users is going to
      clean your registry in a "tailor-made" fashion.

      Installers like InstallShield are GOOD, but they aren't that good to do
      intelligent scanning yet - not to THAT effect.

      I realize that it's strictly for their product, but I didn't like it.

      Plus, if you just want to install certain modules, like the Anti-Virus;
      it's hard to perform it.

      It will install, but you'll know something is amiss, especially after
      rebooting the machine and finding out that it won't start correctly and
      barks at you about it.

      People can call me crazy, but I have tried it on [1] Win2000 machine,
      [1] Win98 machine, and [1] WinXP Pro machine.

      Yes, one machine of each. Different hardware in all 3. The XP was from
      scratch, and the Win98 had a previous version of NAV. The 2000 had just
      the SystemWorks bits and pieces.

      Most people are never going to install it on a "clean machine", but my
      results for the 3 were so distasteful that I didn't want to mess around
      with it anymore.

      I stuck with 2002 because of it. They didn't do good with 2003 IMO.
      Even the Norton Internet Security 2003 - did you hear about it?

      There's a flaw in it that people found out about. Turns out it deleted
      all of your emails. Lovely. I'm a fan of the Corporate Editions of
      their products and such, but I can't give a thumbs-up to the 2003 suite
      of products.

      Just one person's opinion.

      Brian

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 11, 2002
        Hi DA,

        > As far as I know, SystemWorks is just a collection of utilities
        > such as Norton Utilities, CleanSweep, Ghost and WinFax. You
        > have to execute them before they do anything.
        >
        > Norton AntiVirus is the only one of these that lurks in the background
        > of the system and thus can have conflict with Outpost.

        Not quite true. Some of the utilities are memory resident if you run them,
        the "Norton System Doctor" and "Norton Registry Tracker" for example. I
        can't recall if they are enabled in a default installation. It that might
        be the reason they just off the blanket guidance to disable System Works.

        BTW, for whoever started this thread, Agnitum only has one "i"?

        Greg
      • DA
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 11, 2002
          Hi Greg,

          That's right about SystemWorks. I forgot about that because I
          never use it that way. I find the SystemWorks package pretty
          useless except for the AntiVirus.

          I'm the culprit that typo'd the extra "i". I Couldn't fix it or the
          thread title would have been changed.

          DA

          Greg Chapman wrote:

          > Hi DA,
          >
          > > As far as I know, SystemWorks is just a collection of utilities
          > > such as Norton Utilities, CleanSweep, Ghost and WinFax. You
          > > have to execute them before they do anything.
          > >
          > > Norton AntiVirus is the only one of these that lurks in the background
          > > of the system and thus can have conflict with Outpost.
          >
          > Not quite true. Some of the utilities are memory resident if you run them,
          > the "Norton System Doctor" and "Norton Registry Tracker" for example. I
          > can't recall if they are enabled in a default installation. It that might
          > be the reason they just off the blanket guidance to disable System Works.
          >
          > BTW, for whoever started this thread, Agnitum only has one "i"?
        • Len
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 11, 2002
            Hi Brian, Greg, DA, et al;

            Re: System Works 2003
            I have used System Works for a number of years with good results.
            There is a custom installation that allows the user to set some
            of the programs to not run at startup and I uncheck any others
            in the MSCONFIG Startup list so no NSW programs are running in the
            background. I then run each program when desired.
            Each year they update the programs it seems to become less capable.
            The System Check program isn't loaded with the 2003 version but it
            is on the CD and can be loaded manually. Also the NAV takes about
            twice as long as the 2002 version to check for viruses. I think
            it may be running a new test.

            Re: Outpost
            I downloaded and installed the free program and found I need to learn
            more about the types of protocols and intrusion methods before I can
            set it up correctly. I don't think the default settings will be
            sufficient. I un-installed and went back to Zone Alarm Free.
            I'll re-test Outpost after I thoroughly read the User's Guide.
            All the firewalls report blocked intrusions but they can't report
            those that get through the firewall. :-))

            Thanks for bringing Outpost to my attention, Len