RE: [NTO] Outpost by Agnitium

  • Brian Binder
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 9, 2002
      I uninstalled Symantec Client Firewall Enterprise 5.0 Corporate Edition
      (long name!!!) so hat I could try the pro version of Outpost.

      All looks fine so far. SystemWorks uses so many monitoring features
      that it creates workstation traffic that is picked up by many firewalls.

      This is probably why they recommend disabling it.

      Many times SystemWorks will show a message regarding a program wanting
      to access a resource and most users will be asking what the heck it is
      and what it wants to do.

      Other than that, I use Symantec Anti-Virus 8.0 Corporate Edition and
      Outpost hasn't barked about it yet. Very smooth runner.

      Personally, I think it needs a different icon in the system tray instead
      of a blue dot with a question mark in the middle. I think that's kinda
      foul.

      I was thinking of changing it myself, but maybe I'll send them an email
      on it.

      If you guys DO want to use SystemWorks, I HIGHLY recommend staying with
      the 2002 version, because in many of my tests on various machines with
      or without a previous version of NSW installed, 2003 did more harm than
      good on the PC.

      There seems to be more overhead in the new version. Not very cool.

      Brian

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 9, 2002
        On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 13:19:33 -0800, you wrote:

        >I got an e-mail reply from Agnitum saying that they suggest
        >disabling Symantec SystemWorks before installing Outpost.

        That may be vague but it also may mean to just disable it during the
        install. Many programs ask you to exit all running programs before
        installing their software. This prevents possible conflicts with shared
        files, lockups during the installation process and/or other fun things.
        They may have specifically mentioned Symantec SystemWorks since they
        found that it does cause problems during the installation process.

        If you are unclear about the meaning of disable Symantec SystemWorks
        before installing Output, you might be able to clarify it with Agnitum.

        Jan
        --
        Jan Rosenstreich
        Independent Distributor #130-646
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 10, 2002
          Hi Brian,

          > If you guys DO want to use SystemWorks, I HIGHLY recommend staying with
          > the 2002 version, because in many of my tests on various machines with
          > or without a previous version of NSW installed, 2003 did more harm than
          > good on the PC.

          > There seems to be more overhead in the new version. Not very cool.

          Thanks. Nice to know this!

          DA
        • DA
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 10, 2002
            Hi Jan,

            As far as I know, SystemWorks is just a collection of utilities
            such as Norton Utilities, CleanSweep, Ghost and WinFax. You
            have to execute them before they do anything.

            Norton AntiVirus is the only one of these that lurks in the background
            of the system and thus can have conflict with Outpost.

            They must mean disable Norton AntiVirus, not SystemWorks, because
            all I can do is uninstall, not disable, the rest of SystemWorks.

            I'll try another e-mail to agnitum anyhow.

            DA

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 10, 2002
              No prob.

              I actually got a NFR copy from them.

              I wasn't to impressed with it.

              Seems that to FULLY install the 2003 version, you have to first use a
              "previous version wiping utility"

              That's not their exact terminology, but that's what it is. In addition
              to actually uninstalling a previous version, you must run a system
              cleaner to get rid of older registry files that could conflict.

              I don't know about you guys, but I work with the registry like every day
              of my life. I know all about the different hives and handles, etc. and
              I don't like another program doing my dirty work for me.

              You're trusting that a program written for a million users is going to
              clean your registry in a "tailor-made" fashion.

              Installers like InstallShield are GOOD, but they aren't that good to do
              intelligent scanning yet - not to THAT effect.

              I realize that it's strictly for their product, but I didn't like it.

              Plus, if you just want to install certain modules, like the Anti-Virus;
              it's hard to perform it.

              It will install, but you'll know something is amiss, especially after
              rebooting the machine and finding out that it won't start correctly and
              barks at you about it.

              People can call me crazy, but I have tried it on [1] Win2000 machine,
              [1] Win98 machine, and [1] WinXP Pro machine.

              Yes, one machine of each. Different hardware in all 3. The XP was from
              scratch, and the Win98 had a previous version of NAV. The 2000 had just
              the SystemWorks bits and pieces.

              Most people are never going to install it on a "clean machine", but my
              results for the 3 were so distasteful that I didn't want to mess around
              with it anymore.

              I stuck with 2002 because of it. They didn't do good with 2003 IMO.
              Even the Norton Internet Security 2003 - did you hear about it?

              There's a flaw in it that people found out about. Turns out it deleted
              all of your emails. Lovely. I'm a fan of the Corporate Editions of
              their products and such, but I can't give a thumbs-up to the 2003 suite
              of products.

              Just one person's opinion.

              Brian

              > If you guys DO want to use SystemWorks, I HIGHLY recommend staying
              with
              > the 2002 version, because in many of my tests on various machines with
              > or without a previous version of NSW installed, 2003 did more harm
              than
              > good on the PC.

              > There seems to be more overhead in the new version. Not very cool.

              Thanks. Nice to know this!

              DA

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Greg Chapman
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 11, 2002
                Hi DA,

                > As far as I know, SystemWorks is just a collection of utilities
                > such as Norton Utilities, CleanSweep, Ghost and WinFax. You
                > have to execute them before they do anything.
                >
                > Norton AntiVirus is the only one of these that lurks in the background
                > of the system and thus can have conflict with Outpost.

                Not quite true. Some of the utilities are memory resident if you run them,
                the "Norton System Doctor" and "Norton Registry Tracker" for example. I
                can't recall if they are enabled in a default installation. It that might
                be the reason they just off the blanket guidance to disable System Works.

                BTW, for whoever started this thread, Agnitum only has one "i"?

                Greg
              • DA
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 11, 2002
                  Hi Greg,

                  That's right about SystemWorks. I forgot about that because I
                  never use it that way. I find the SystemWorks package pretty
                  useless except for the AntiVirus.

                  I'm the culprit that typo'd the extra "i". I Couldn't fix it or the
                  thread title would have been changed.

                  DA

                  Greg Chapman wrote:

                  > Hi DA,
                  >
                  > > As far as I know, SystemWorks is just a collection of utilities
                  > > such as Norton Utilities, CleanSweep, Ghost and WinFax. You
                  > > have to execute them before they do anything.
                  > >
                  > > Norton AntiVirus is the only one of these that lurks in the background
                  > > of the system and thus can have conflict with Outpost.
                  >
                  > Not quite true. Some of the utilities are memory resident if you run them,
                  > the "Norton System Doctor" and "Norton Registry Tracker" for example. I
                  > can't recall if they are enabled in a default installation. It that might
                  > be the reason they just off the blanket guidance to disable System Works.
                  >
                  > BTW, for whoever started this thread, Agnitum only has one "i"?
                • Len
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 11, 2002
                    Hi Brian, Greg, DA, et al;

                    Re: System Works 2003
                    I have used System Works for a number of years with good results.
                    There is a custom installation that allows the user to set some
                    of the programs to not run at startup and I uncheck any others
                    in the MSCONFIG Startup list so no NSW programs are running in the
                    background. I then run each program when desired.
                    Each year they update the programs it seems to become less capable.
                    The System Check program isn't loaded with the 2003 version but it
                    is on the CD and can be loaded manually. Also the NAV takes about
                    twice as long as the 2002 version to check for viruses. I think
                    it may be running a new test.

                    Re: Outpost
                    I downloaded and installed the free program and found I need to learn
                    more about the types of protocols and intrusion methods before I can
                    set it up correctly. I don't think the default settings will be
                    sufficient. I un-installed and went back to Zone Alarm Free.
                    I'll re-test Outpost after I thoroughly read the User's Guide.
                    All the firewalls report blocked intrusions but they can't report
                    those that get through the firewall. :-))

                    Thanks for bringing Outpost to my attention, Len