Re: [NTO] Outpost by Agnitium

  • DA
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 9, 2002
      Hi Larry,

      Have you noticed any computer performance reduction since
      using Outpost?

      I got an e-mail reply from Agnitum saying that they suggest
      disabling Symantec SystemWorks before installing Outpost.

      The only thing I use from SystemWorks is the NAV part. The
      rest is redundant or useless to me. But, Agnitum says that
      they are "completely compatible with any AV/AT programs."
      So why disable SystemWorks? Maybe they meant disable NAV
      since that is all that can be disabled?

      Vague e-mails ... Oh well.

      I think they might not know what SystemWorks is, or there
      should be many utilities that do not work with Outpost.
      The only part that should routinely interact with Outpost
      is the NAV part since there is some sort of virus detection
      in Outpost -- Or am I wrong about this?

      They also won't let you buy the single license then upgrade
      to the "family" version. The lower resource usage of the
      Pro version was appealing to me, so I was going to buy the
      Pro version. I guess I will just use the freebie instead.

      DA

      Larry Hamilton wrote:

      > I switched to freeware Outpost just yesterday to try it. At www.grc.com it
      > reports my PC the same way that running Zonealarm does.
      >
      > I also use Norton Antivirus too and have not noticed anything odd yet.
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 9, 2002
        I do not have System Works, just the straight Norton antivirus.

        I have not noticed any issues. The issue with switching between WinXP Home
        accounts I experienced with ZoneAlarm appears to be resolved.

        Larry

        DA wrote:
        > Hi Larry,
        >
        > Have you noticed any computer performance reduction since
        > using Outpost?
        >
        > I got an e-mail reply from Agnitum saying that they suggest
        > disabling Symantec SystemWorks before installing Outpost.
        >
        > The only thing I use from SystemWorks is the NAV part. The
        > rest is redundant or useless to me. But, Agnitum says that
        > they are "completely compatible with any AV/AT programs."
        > So why disable SystemWorks? Maybe they meant disable NAV
        > since that is all that can be disabled?
        >
        > Vague e-mails ... Oh well.
        >
        > I think they might not know what SystemWorks is, or there
        > should be many utilities that do not work with Outpost.
        > The only part that should routinely interact with Outpost
        > is the NAV part since there is some sort of virus detection
        > in Outpost -- Or am I wrong about this?
        >
        > They also won't let you buy the single license then upgrade
        > to the "family" version. The lower resource usage of the
        > Pro version was appealing to me, so I was going to buy the
        > Pro version. I guess I will just use the freebie instead.
      • Brian Binder
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 9, 2002
          I uninstalled Symantec Client Firewall Enterprise 5.0 Corporate Edition
          (long name!!!) so hat I could try the pro version of Outpost.

          All looks fine so far. SystemWorks uses so many monitoring features
          that it creates workstation traffic that is picked up by many firewalls.

          This is probably why they recommend disabling it.

          Many times SystemWorks will show a message regarding a program wanting
          to access a resource and most users will be asking what the heck it is
          and what it wants to do.

          Other than that, I use Symantec Anti-Virus 8.0 Corporate Edition and
          Outpost hasn't barked about it yet. Very smooth runner.

          Personally, I think it needs a different icon in the system tray instead
          of a blue dot with a question mark in the middle. I think that's kinda
          foul.

          I was thinking of changing it myself, but maybe I'll send them an email
          on it.

          If you guys DO want to use SystemWorks, I HIGHLY recommend staying with
          the 2002 version, because in many of my tests on various machines with
          or without a previous version of NSW installed, 2003 did more harm than
          good on the PC.

          There seems to be more overhead in the new version. Not very cool.

          Brian

          DA wrote:
          > Hi Larry,
          >
          > Have you noticed any computer performance reduction since
          > using Outpost?
          >
          > I got an e-mail reply from Agnitum saying that they suggest
          > disabling Symantec SystemWorks before installing Outpost.
          >
          > The only thing I use from SystemWorks is the NAV part. The
          > rest is redundant or useless to me. But, Agnitum says that
          > they are "completely compatible with any AV/AT programs."
          > So why disable SystemWorks? Maybe they meant disable NAV
          > since that is all that can be disabled?
          >
          > Vague e-mails ... Oh well.
          >
          > I think they might not know what SystemWorks is, or there
          > should be many utilities that do not work with Outpost.
          > The only part that should routinely interact with Outpost
          > is the NAV part since there is some sort of virus detection
          > in Outpost -- Or am I wrong about this?
          >
          > They also won't let you buy the single license then upgrade
          > to the "family" version. The lower resource usage of the
          > Pro version was appealing to me, so I was going to buy the
          > Pro version. I guess I will just use the freebie instead.

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Jan Rosenstreich
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 9, 2002
            On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 13:19:33 -0800, you wrote:

            >I got an e-mail reply from Agnitum saying that they suggest
            >disabling Symantec SystemWorks before installing Outpost.

            That may be vague but it also may mean to just disable it during the
            install. Many programs ask you to exit all running programs before
            installing their software. This prevents possible conflicts with shared
            files, lockups during the installation process and/or other fun things.
            They may have specifically mentioned Symantec SystemWorks since they
            found that it does cause problems during the installation process.

            If you are unclear about the meaning of disable Symantec SystemWorks
            before installing Output, you might be able to clarify it with Agnitum.

            Jan
            --
            Jan Rosenstreich
            Independent Distributor #130-646
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 10, 2002
              Hi Brian,

              > If you guys DO want to use SystemWorks, I HIGHLY recommend staying with
              > the 2002 version, because in many of my tests on various machines with
              > or without a previous version of NSW installed, 2003 did more harm than
              > good on the PC.

              > There seems to be more overhead in the new version. Not very cool.

              Thanks. Nice to know this!

              DA
            • DA
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 10, 2002
                Hi Jan,

                As far as I know, SystemWorks is just a collection of utilities
                such as Norton Utilities, CleanSweep, Ghost and WinFax. You
                have to execute them before they do anything.

                Norton AntiVirus is the only one of these that lurks in the background
                of the system and thus can have conflict with Outpost.

                They must mean disable Norton AntiVirus, not SystemWorks, because
                all I can do is uninstall, not disable, the rest of SystemWorks.

                I'll try another e-mail to agnitum anyhow.

                DA

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 10, 2002
                  No prob.

                  I actually got a NFR copy from them.

                  I wasn't to impressed with it.

                  Seems that to FULLY install the 2003 version, you have to first use a
                  "previous version wiping utility"

                  That's not their exact terminology, but that's what it is. In addition
                  to actually uninstalling a previous version, you must run a system
                  cleaner to get rid of older registry files that could conflict.

                  I don't know about you guys, but I work with the registry like every day
                  of my life. I know all about the different hives and handles, etc. and
                  I don't like another program doing my dirty work for me.

                  You're trusting that a program written for a million users is going to
                  clean your registry in a "tailor-made" fashion.

                  Installers like InstallShield are GOOD, but they aren't that good to do
                  intelligent scanning yet - not to THAT effect.

                  I realize that it's strictly for their product, but I didn't like it.

                  Plus, if you just want to install certain modules, like the Anti-Virus;
                  it's hard to perform it.

                  It will install, but you'll know something is amiss, especially after
                  rebooting the machine and finding out that it won't start correctly and
                  barks at you about it.

                  People can call me crazy, but I have tried it on [1] Win2000 machine,
                  [1] Win98 machine, and [1] WinXP Pro machine.

                  Yes, one machine of each. Different hardware in all 3. The XP was from
                  scratch, and the Win98 had a previous version of NAV. The 2000 had just
                  the SystemWorks bits and pieces.

                  Most people are never going to install it on a "clean machine", but my
                  results for the 3 were so distasteful that I didn't want to mess around
                  with it anymore.

                  I stuck with 2002 because of it. They didn't do good with 2003 IMO.
                  Even the Norton Internet Security 2003 - did you hear about it?

                  There's a flaw in it that people found out about. Turns out it deleted
                  all of your emails. Lovely. I'm a fan of the Corporate Editions of
                  their products and such, but I can't give a thumbs-up to the 2003 suite
                  of products.

                  Just one person's opinion.

                  Brian

                  > If you guys DO want to use SystemWorks, I HIGHLY recommend staying
                  with
                  > the 2002 version, because in many of my tests on various machines with
                  > or without a previous version of NSW installed, 2003 did more harm
                  than
                  > good on the PC.

                  > There seems to be more overhead in the new version. Not very cool.

                  Thanks. Nice to know this!

                  DA

                  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • Greg Chapman
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 11, 2002
                    Hi DA,

                    > As far as I know, SystemWorks is just a collection of utilities
                    > such as Norton Utilities, CleanSweep, Ghost and WinFax. You
                    > have to execute them before they do anything.
                    >
                    > Norton AntiVirus is the only one of these that lurks in the background
                    > of the system and thus can have conflict with Outpost.

                    Not quite true. Some of the utilities are memory resident if you run them,
                    the "Norton System Doctor" and "Norton Registry Tracker" for example. I
                    can't recall if they are enabled in a default installation. It that might
                    be the reason they just off the blanket guidance to disable System Works.

                    BTW, for whoever started this thread, Agnitum only has one "i"?

                    Greg
                  • DA
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 11, 2002
                      Hi Greg,

                      That's right about SystemWorks. I forgot about that because I
                      never use it that way. I find the SystemWorks package pretty
                      useless except for the AntiVirus.

                      I'm the culprit that typo'd the extra "i". I Couldn't fix it or the
                      thread title would have been changed.

                      DA

                      Greg Chapman wrote:

                      > Hi DA,
                      >
                      > > As far as I know, SystemWorks is just a collection of utilities
                      > > such as Norton Utilities, CleanSweep, Ghost and WinFax. You
                      > > have to execute them before they do anything.
                      > >
                      > > Norton AntiVirus is the only one of these that lurks in the background
                      > > of the system and thus can have conflict with Outpost.
                      >
                      > Not quite true. Some of the utilities are memory resident if you run them,
                      > the "Norton System Doctor" and "Norton Registry Tracker" for example. I
                      > can't recall if they are enabled in a default installation. It that might
                      > be the reason they just off the blanket guidance to disable System Works.
                      >
                      > BTW, for whoever started this thread, Agnitum only has one "i"?
                    • Len
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 11, 2002
                        Hi Brian, Greg, DA, et al;

                        Re: System Works 2003
                        I have used System Works for a number of years with good results.
                        There is a custom installation that allows the user to set some
                        of the programs to not run at startup and I uncheck any others
                        in the MSCONFIG Startup list so no NSW programs are running in the
                        background. I then run each program when desired.
                        Each year they update the programs it seems to become less capable.
                        The System Check program isn't loaded with the 2003 version but it
                        is on the CD and can be loaded manually. Also the NAV takes about
                        twice as long as the 2002 version to check for viruses. I think
                        it may be running a new test.

                        Re: Outpost
                        I downloaded and installed the free program and found I need to learn
                        more about the types of protocols and intrusion methods before I can
                        set it up correctly. I don't think the default settings will be
                        sufficient. I un-installed and went back to Zone Alarm Free.
                        I'll re-test Outpost after I thoroughly read the User's Guide.
                        All the firewalls report blocked intrusions but they can't report
                        those that get through the firewall. :-))

                        Thanks for bringing Outpost to my attention, Len