RE: [NTO] Outpost by Agnitium

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 7, 2002

      I'm UK based and I've not used it, but the free for personal use version did
      feature as "Editor's Choice" in the well respected PC PLUS magazine (aimed
      at professionals, experienced users and programmers) in their firewall lab
      test last month. Their summary said:

      ==================
      Coming from absolutely nowhere is Agnitum's superb Outpost Person Firewall.
      This astounding product not only offers an easy to configure firewall, but
      packs in an obscene amount of extra security features for the princely sum
      of zilch.

      Whatever security you need, Outpost has it. The superb Outlook-style
      interface is very easy to navigate, and even the most hardened technophobe
      can get to grips with firewalling a PC with Outpost.

      We like the theory behind the program's open architecture too, and hope that
      it doesn't lead to misuse. More importantly, we hope Cyprus-based Agnitium
      isn't just using the freeware approach as a marketing angle to charge later.
      For now though, we recommend Outpost wholeheartedly for anyone who wants
      more than a basic firewall without paying an arm and a leg.
      ==================

      They don't often say "superb" and "recommend wholeheartedly" in their
      reviews.

      Norton IS 2002 took the "Best Value" award and Sygate Personal Firewall the
      "Best Performer".

      Others reviewed were: BlackICE PC Protection 3.5, Kerio Personal Firewall,
      McAfee Internet Security 4.02, Soft4Ever Look'n'Stop, Tiny Personal Firewall
      3, ZoneAlarm 3.0 and ZoneAlarm Pro 3.0

      They may have past articles on the magazine web site - I haven't looked - at
      http://www.pcplus.co.uk where you could see the full text of the review.

      Greg
    • DA
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 8, 2002
        Hi Greg,

        Thanks for the info. Especially since your summary is all I have.
        I never could find the report at pcplus.

        I e-mailed Agnitum question about the coexistence of Norton
        AntiVirus e-=mail protection with their firewall protection.
        (As of this moment, NAV has my trust since it has saved me a few
        times already.) If I get an answer that will be my trigger to
        go ahead and buy Outpost.

        DA

        > I'm UK based and I've not used it, but the free for personal use version did
        > feature as "Editor's Choice" in the well respected PC PLUS magazine (aimed
        > at professionals, experienced users and programmers) in their firewall lab
        > test last month. Their summary said:
        .
        .
        .

        > Others reviewed were: BlackICE PC Protection 3.5, Kerio Personal Firewall,
        > McAfee Internet Security 4.02, Soft4Ever Look'n'Stop, Tiny Personal Firewall
        > 3, ZoneAlarm 3.0 and ZoneAlarm Pro 3.0
        >
        > They may have past articles on the magazine web site - I haven't looked - at
        > http://www.pcplus.co.uk where you could see the full text of the review.
        >
        > Greg
      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 8, 2002
          The only problem I have seen that appears to be an issue with the freeware
          ZoneAlarm is preventing WinXP Home from shutting down correctly. It is
          usually slow to shut down, or sometimes does not shut down.

          I switched to freeware Outpost just yesterday to try it. At www.grc.com it
          reports my PC the same way that running Zonealarm does.

          I also use Norton Antivirus too and have not noticed anything odd yet.

          The one thing I like about it is that it appears to have more options that
          the user can choose to tweak. I also like that it does not have a splash
          screen like ZoneAlarm. It takes long enough to boot, a long splash screen
          just drags it out.

          I had planned to stick with ZoneAlarm until I learned of other alternatives
          that are also free or low cost and do not hang Windows on shutdown.

          Larry

          DA wrote:
          > Hi Greg,
          >
          > Thanks for the info. Especially since your summary is all I have.
          > I never could find the report at pcplus.
          >
          > I e-mailed Agnitum question about the coexistence of Norton
          > AntiVirus e-=mail protection with their firewall protection.
          > (As of this moment, NAV has my trust since it has saved me a few
          > times already.) If I get an answer that will be my trigger to
          > go ahead and buy Outpost.
          >
          > DA
        • DA
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 9, 2002
            Hi Larry,

            Have you noticed any computer performance reduction since
            using Outpost?

            I got an e-mail reply from Agnitum saying that they suggest
            disabling Symantec SystemWorks before installing Outpost.

            The only thing I use from SystemWorks is the NAV part. The
            rest is redundant or useless to me. But, Agnitum says that
            they are "completely compatible with any AV/AT programs."
            So why disable SystemWorks? Maybe they meant disable NAV
            since that is all that can be disabled?

            Vague e-mails ... Oh well.

            I think they might not know what SystemWorks is, or there
            should be many utilities that do not work with Outpost.
            The only part that should routinely interact with Outpost
            is the NAV part since there is some sort of virus detection
            in Outpost -- Or am I wrong about this?

            They also won't let you buy the single license then upgrade
            to the "family" version. The lower resource usage of the
            Pro version was appealing to me, so I was going to buy the
            Pro version. I guess I will just use the freebie instead.

            DA

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 9, 2002
              I do not have System Works, just the straight Norton antivirus.

              I have not noticed any issues. The issue with switching between WinXP Home
              accounts I experienced with ZoneAlarm appears to be resolved.

              Larry

              DA wrote:
              > Hi Larry,
              >
              > Have you noticed any computer performance reduction since
              > using Outpost?
              >
              > I got an e-mail reply from Agnitum saying that they suggest
              > disabling Symantec SystemWorks before installing Outpost.
              >
              > The only thing I use from SystemWorks is the NAV part. The
              > rest is redundant or useless to me. But, Agnitum says that
              > they are "completely compatible with any AV/AT programs."
              > So why disable SystemWorks? Maybe they meant disable NAV
              > since that is all that can be disabled?
              >
              > Vague e-mails ... Oh well.
              >
              > I think they might not know what SystemWorks is, or there
              > should be many utilities that do not work with Outpost.
              > The only part that should routinely interact with Outpost
              > is the NAV part since there is some sort of virus detection
              > in Outpost -- Or am I wrong about this?
              >
              > They also won't let you buy the single license then upgrade
              > to the "family" version. The lower resource usage of the
              > Pro version was appealing to me, so I was going to buy the
              > Pro version. I guess I will just use the freebie instead.
            • Brian Binder
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 9, 2002
                I uninstalled Symantec Client Firewall Enterprise 5.0 Corporate Edition
                (long name!!!) so hat I could try the pro version of Outpost.

                All looks fine so far. SystemWorks uses so many monitoring features
                that it creates workstation traffic that is picked up by many firewalls.

                This is probably why they recommend disabling it.

                Many times SystemWorks will show a message regarding a program wanting
                to access a resource and most users will be asking what the heck it is
                and what it wants to do.

                Other than that, I use Symantec Anti-Virus 8.0 Corporate Edition and
                Outpost hasn't barked about it yet. Very smooth runner.

                Personally, I think it needs a different icon in the system tray instead
                of a blue dot with a question mark in the middle. I think that's kinda
                foul.

                I was thinking of changing it myself, but maybe I'll send them an email
                on it.

                If you guys DO want to use SystemWorks, I HIGHLY recommend staying with
                the 2002 version, because in many of my tests on various machines with
                or without a previous version of NSW installed, 2003 did more harm than
                good on the PC.

                There seems to be more overhead in the new version. Not very cool.

                Brian

                DA wrote:
                > Hi Larry,
                >
                > Have you noticed any computer performance reduction since
                > using Outpost?
                >
                > I got an e-mail reply from Agnitum saying that they suggest
                > disabling Symantec SystemWorks before installing Outpost.
                >
                > The only thing I use from SystemWorks is the NAV part. The
                > rest is redundant or useless to me. But, Agnitum says that
                > they are "completely compatible with any AV/AT programs."
                > So why disable SystemWorks? Maybe they meant disable NAV
                > since that is all that can be disabled?
                >
                > Vague e-mails ... Oh well.
                >
                > I think they might not know what SystemWorks is, or there
                > should be many utilities that do not work with Outpost.
                > The only part that should routinely interact with Outpost
                > is the NAV part since there is some sort of virus detection
                > in Outpost -- Or am I wrong about this?
                >
                > They also won't let you buy the single license then upgrade
                > to the "family" version. The lower resource usage of the
                > Pro version was appealing to me, so I was going to buy the
                > Pro version. I guess I will just use the freebie instead.

                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • Jan Rosenstreich
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 9, 2002
                  On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 13:19:33 -0800, you wrote:

                  >I got an e-mail reply from Agnitum saying that they suggest
                  >disabling Symantec SystemWorks before installing Outpost.

                  That may be vague but it also may mean to just disable it during the
                  install. Many programs ask you to exit all running programs before
                  installing their software. This prevents possible conflicts with shared
                  files, lockups during the installation process and/or other fun things.
                  They may have specifically mentioned Symantec SystemWorks since they
                  found that it does cause problems during the installation process.

                  If you are unclear about the meaning of disable Symantec SystemWorks
                  before installing Output, you might be able to clarify it with Agnitum.

                  Jan
                  --
                  Jan Rosenstreich
                  Independent Distributor #130-646
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 10, 2002
                    Hi Brian,

                    > If you guys DO want to use SystemWorks, I HIGHLY recommend staying with
                    > the 2002 version, because in many of my tests on various machines with
                    > or without a previous version of NSW installed, 2003 did more harm than
                    > good on the PC.

                    > There seems to be more overhead in the new version. Not very cool.

                    Thanks. Nice to know this!

                    DA
                  • DA
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 10, 2002
                      Hi Jan,

                      As far as I know, SystemWorks is just a collection of utilities
                      such as Norton Utilities, CleanSweep, Ghost and WinFax. You
                      have to execute them before they do anything.

                      Norton AntiVirus is the only one of these that lurks in the background
                      of the system and thus can have conflict with Outpost.

                      They must mean disable Norton AntiVirus, not SystemWorks, because
                      all I can do is uninstall, not disable, the rest of SystemWorks.

                      I'll try another e-mail to agnitum anyhow.

                      DA

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 10, 2002
                        No prob.

                        I actually got a NFR copy from them.

                        I wasn't to impressed with it.

                        Seems that to FULLY install the 2003 version, you have to first use a
                        "previous version wiping utility"

                        That's not their exact terminology, but that's what it is. In addition
                        to actually uninstalling a previous version, you must run a system
                        cleaner to get rid of older registry files that could conflict.

                        I don't know about you guys, but I work with the registry like every day
                        of my life. I know all about the different hives and handles, etc. and
                        I don't like another program doing my dirty work for me.

                        You're trusting that a program written for a million users is going to
                        clean your registry in a "tailor-made" fashion.

                        Installers like InstallShield are GOOD, but they aren't that good to do
                        intelligent scanning yet - not to THAT effect.

                        I realize that it's strictly for their product, but I didn't like it.

                        Plus, if you just want to install certain modules, like the Anti-Virus;
                        it's hard to perform it.

                        It will install, but you'll know something is amiss, especially after
                        rebooting the machine and finding out that it won't start correctly and
                        barks at you about it.

                        People can call me crazy, but I have tried it on [1] Win2000 machine,
                        [1] Win98 machine, and [1] WinXP Pro machine.

                        Yes, one machine of each. Different hardware in all 3. The XP was from
                        scratch, and the Win98 had a previous version of NAV. The 2000 had just
                        the SystemWorks bits and pieces.

                        Most people are never going to install it on a "clean machine", but my
                        results for the 3 were so distasteful that I didn't want to mess around
                        with it anymore.

                        I stuck with 2002 because of it. They didn't do good with 2003 IMO.
                        Even the Norton Internet Security 2003 - did you hear about it?

                        There's a flaw in it that people found out about. Turns out it deleted
                        all of your emails. Lovely. I'm a fan of the Corporate Editions of
                        their products and such, but I can't give a thumbs-up to the 2003 suite
                        of products.

                        Just one person's opinion.

                        Brian

                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 11, 2002
                          Hi DA,

                          > As far as I know, SystemWorks is just a collection of utilities
                          > such as Norton Utilities, CleanSweep, Ghost and WinFax. You
                          > have to execute them before they do anything.
                          >
                          > Norton AntiVirus is the only one of these that lurks in the background
                          > of the system and thus can have conflict with Outpost.

                          Not quite true. Some of the utilities are memory resident if you run them,
                          the "Norton System Doctor" and "Norton Registry Tracker" for example. I
                          can't recall if they are enabled in a default installation. It that might
                          be the reason they just off the blanket guidance to disable System Works.

                          BTW, for whoever started this thread, Agnitum only has one "i"?

                          Greg
                        • DA
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 11, 2002
                            Hi Greg,

                            That's right about SystemWorks. I forgot about that because I
                            never use it that way. I find the SystemWorks package pretty
                            useless except for the AntiVirus.

                            I'm the culprit that typo'd the extra "i". I Couldn't fix it or the
                            thread title would have been changed.

                            DA

                            Greg Chapman wrote:

                            > Hi DA,
                            >
                            > > As far as I know, SystemWorks is just a collection of utilities
                            > > such as Norton Utilities, CleanSweep, Ghost and WinFax. You
                            > > have to execute them before they do anything.
                            > >
                            > > Norton AntiVirus is the only one of these that lurks in the background
                            > > of the system and thus can have conflict with Outpost.
                            >
                            > Not quite true. Some of the utilities are memory resident if you run them,
                            > the "Norton System Doctor" and "Norton Registry Tracker" for example. I
                            > can't recall if they are enabled in a default installation. It that might
                            > be the reason they just off the blanket guidance to disable System Works.
                            >
                            > BTW, for whoever started this thread, Agnitum only has one "i"?
                          • Len
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 11, 2002
                              Hi Brian, Greg, DA, et al;

                              Re: System Works 2003
                              I have used System Works for a number of years with good results.
                              There is a custom installation that allows the user to set some
                              of the programs to not run at startup and I uncheck any others
                              in the MSCONFIG Startup list so no NSW programs are running in the
                              background. I then run each program when desired.
                              Each year they update the programs it seems to become less capable.
                              The System Check program isn't loaded with the 2003 version but it
                              is on the CD and can be loaded manually. Also the NAV takes about
                              twice as long as the 2002 version to check for viruses. I think
                              it may be running a new test.

                              Re: Outpost
                              I downloaded and installed the free program and found I need to learn
                              more about the types of protocols and intrusion methods before I can
                              set it up correctly. I don't think the default settings will be
                              sufficient. I un-installed and went back to Zone Alarm Free.
                              I'll re-test Outpost after I thoroughly read the User's Guide.
                              All the firewalls report blocked intrusions but they can't report
                              those that get through the firewall. :-))

                              Thanks for bringing Outpost to my attention, Len