Re: [NTO] Mozilla : Nightly build (1.3.0.0) fails - previous stable (1.1) works

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 25, 2002
      Lotta:
      > Don't know. All I can think of is maybe delete the profiles and stuff
      > since all versions share them.

      I should have thought of that myself, uninstalling the 1.3a and THEN
      clearing out the Documents_and_Settings\...\Mozilla folder did the
      trick.

      Going back over some of old e-mails I'd saved I found the advice from
      hrs (and/or from you?) that trying to keep more than one version
      installed is a back-ass-wards way to do it.

      After getting it going I found on another forum this advice from the
      T.C.
      (Alice that is you isn't it ;-)
      >>> When you uninstalled, did you just run the uninstall or did you also
      delete
      > the Mozilla folder in Program Files? And also delete the Mozilla
      folder in
      > Windows/Application Data?
      >
      > That's where your user preferences and bookmarks are kept and if
      they're
      > corrupted (thus causing the problem), you need to delete those folders
      as well
      > to let it really install from scratch. Running the uninstall does
      *not*
      > delete those folders.
      <<
      Anyway, its all running (with Proxomitron too) and I can now try and get
      back the Mozilla-Google toolbar and the Multizilla tabbed enhancements.

      Thx all!

      Regards ... Alec
      --
      -------------------------

      On Mon, 25-Nov-2002 00:10 [GMT+500 EST], loro <loro@...> wrote:

      > At 05:52 2002.11.25, Alec Burgess wrote:
      >> You seem to be up on what's going on with Mozilla :-)
      >
      > Appearances can be deceptive. I believe it's Harvey that's the true
      > Moz addict here. I never bother with the nightlies.
      >
      >> After reinstalling (in a different location) the nightly build
      >> above, it still fails.
      >> I also installed version 1.2b (again in a different location) and to
      >> my surprise, it fails exactly the same as the 1.3a
      >

      > Lotta

    • alice ttlg
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 25, 2002
        Alec wrote:
        > After getting it going I found on another forum this advice from the
        > T.C.
        > (Alice that is you isn't it ;-)

        yep, that's me :-), I was just about to post that when I read Lotta's post, when
        Mozilla has trouble or crashes, it appears to need all the various Mozilla
        folders completely deleted before reinstalling. You can however save your
        bookmarks.html file to another location and then copy it back after successfully
        reinstalling Mozilla, that way you don't lose all your bookmarks.

        > Anyway, its all running (with Proxomitron too) and I can now try and get
        > back the Mozilla-Google toolbar and the Multizilla tabbed enhancements.

        Are you on 1.2b? or one of the nightly builds? I was running 1.1 and managed
        to crash it badly, had to completely uninstall/reinstall and I ended up going
        with 1.2b because I couldn't find a Multizilla download that worked with 1.1.
        1.2b is great tho, it runs better and faster, I wa having problems with opening
        a lot of sites and memory dropping and then not being freed up when I closed
        Mozilla but 1.2b fixed all that.

        I'm not daring enough to run the nightly builds. :-)

        alice ttlg

        Coda: http://coda.populli.org/
        Idiot Box: http://idiotbox.populli.org/
        --
        Out of a cloud of dust, Krycek will walk.
        - Dean Haglund
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 25, 2002
          On Mon, 25-Nov-2002 13:09 [GMT+500 EST], alice ttlg <coda@...>
          wrote:

          > I'm not daring enough to run the nightly builds. :-)

          At least for the present Mozilla is my secondary browser - I'm using
          MyIE2 for the heavy lifting.

          > Are you on 1.2b? or one of the nightly builds? I was running 1.1
          > and managed to crash it badly, had to completely uninstall/reinstall
          > and I ended up going with 1.2b because I couldn't find a Multizilla
          > download that worked with 1.1.

          I guess Saturday's 1.3a (nightly) was was a good vintage!
          Subsquent to yesterday's posts I got Multizilla (latest), GoogleBar and
          PrefencesBar all up and apparently working fine.

          FWIW: I think the genesis of my problems was an earlier attempt to get
          Multizilla working (I think with an earlier 1.2b). Multiziilaa was
          reporting a new build available, but when I tried to get it, insisted I
          get a more recent Mozilla build. I have a feeling that in that round ( a
          couple of weeks ago) I managed to screw something up so that
          Mozilla-Multizilla never work properly until I did the full restart
          yesterday.

          Btw: Do you also try to keep up with Opera? I d/l'd and installed Opera
          6.05 (during-after) the Mozilla problems (it had never been on this
          machine) and it fails to work. I was afraid that it was some common
          underlying problem with protocols, proxies etc. but based on succcess
          with Mozilla I'm guessing it is something particular to it (thank
          god;-) ). Maybe I'll try again in a couple of days. One thing I do like
          about Opera (when I used to have it working) is the ability to zoom
          in-out on whole windows easily. AFAIK that's unique to it (?). The
          IE-variants all have zoom in-out, but just on a particular graphic
          (correct?)

          Regards ... Alec
          --
          -------------------------

          > Alec wrote:
          >> After getting it going I found on another forum this advice from the
          >> T.C.
          >> (Alice that is you isn't it ;-)

          <snip>
        • alice ttlg
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 26, 2002
            Alec wrote:
            > FWIW: I think the genesis of my problems was an earlier attempt to get
            > Multizilla working (I think with an earlier 1.2b). Multiziilaa was
            > reporting a new build available, but when I tried to get it, insisted I
            > get a more recent Mozilla build. I have a feeling that in that round ( a
            > couple of weeks ago) I managed to screw something up so that
            > Mozilla-Multizilla never work properly until I did the full restart
            > yesterday.

            Something went funky with the Multizilla plugins for any version of Mozilla
            prior to 1.2b. I had previously had Multizilla working with Mozilla v1.0 but
            after my crash, I couldn't get find a Multizilla plugin for that version that
            would install or if it did, it didn't look or work the same. So I ended up
            installing 1.2b instead (which turned out to be a good thing because of the
            improvements in 1.2b to memory and resource usage and it's more stable than 1.0
            was).

            > Btw: Do you also try to keep up with Opera? I d/l'd and installed Opera
            > 6.05 (during-after) the Mozilla problems (it had never been on this

            I have Opera 6 installed on my other computer, I use it only for testing
            websites to browser compatibility (Opera 5 had some quirks in it, Opera 6 is
            more standards compatible) but I never use it for browsing cause I don't like
            the ads and I don't like their toolbars, the icons are not intuitive for me (and
            I'm still too cheap to pay for a browser when there's IE, Mozilla and Netscape
            for free without ads :-)).

            And speaking of Netscape, I installed v7 for testing purposes and I had heard
            that they removed the Mozilla option to block unrequested popup windows so I
            checked out the preferences and they did remove that option and replaced it with
            the option to block opening links in new windows so at first glance, it's not
            apparent that something's missing. Sneaky people. :-)

            > god;-) ). Maybe I'll try again in a couple of days. One thing I do like
            > about Opera (when I used to have it working) is the ability to zoom
            > in-out on whole windows easily. AFAIK that's unique to it (?). The
            > IE-variants all have zoom in-out, but just on a particular graphic
            > (correct?)

            Yes, IE zooms on images, both IE and Mozilla have text zoom as well.

            alice ttlg

            Coda: http://coda.populli.org/
            Idiot Box: http://idiotbox.populli.org/
            --
            Things need not to have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow
            truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes and forgot.
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 26, 2002
              Alec, Alice,

              > Yes, IE zooms on images, both IE and Mozilla have text zoom as well.
              >
              > alice ttlg

              IN IE: if you have a scrollwheel, hold CTRL while rolling the wheel.
              Text size changes immediately. I'm not sure it works in other
              applications, just found out about it.

              Hugo
            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 26, 2002
                > hugo_paulissen wrote:
                >
                > > Alec, Alice,
                > >
                > > Yes, IE zooms on images, both IE and Mozilla have text zoom as well.
                > >
                > > alice ttlg
                >

                > IN IE: if you have a scroll wheel, hold CTRL while rolling the wheel.
                > Text size changes immediately. I'm not sure it works in other
                > applications, just found out about it.
                >
                > Hugo

                Hugo, Alice, others,

                I noticed mouse wheel settings before but never checked them until these
                last emails

                Mozilla also has a user definable features to increase/decrease text
                size, and a couple of other things, in the browser. As in IE you use
                the scroll wheel in conjunction with your choice of Alt, Control or
                Shift keys.

                hrs
              • Jim Hall
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 26, 2002
                  Hugo,

                  IN IE: if you have a scrollwheel, hold CTRL while rolling the wheel.
                  >Text size changes immediately. I'm not sure it works in other
                  >applications, just found out about it.

                  In case you haven't already, try SHIFT scroll. That is Forward and Back in IE6 :-)

                  ALT scroll doesn't seem to do much for me.

                  Jim
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 26, 2002
                    At 07:47 2002.11.27, you wrote:
                    >Hugo,
                    >
                    >IN IE: if you have a scrollwheel, hold CTRL while rolling the wheel.
                    > >Text size changes immediately. I'm not sure it works in other
                    > >applications, just found out about it.
                    >

                    >In case you haven't already, try SHIFT scroll. That is Forward and Back in
                    >IE6 :-)

                    Both things work in Moz and Opera too. Ctrl + Wheel works in some other
                    application. Office for one. And some text editors [hint to Eric].

                    But I can use the scroll wheel to go between tabs in Notetab. Taa-taa! :-)))
                    Wanna try?
                    http://www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/