Re: [NTO] Home Network Security by Jan Rosenstreich

  • DA
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 23, 2002
      Hi all,

      > I have two printers hooked up to print servers to run as network
      > printers (under NetBEUI) that are accessible to all the machines. I
      > have disabled print sharing since it is not needed and is a potential
      > security hole.

      Good to hear this works with print servers. I'll probably try this
      as soon as I find the time.

      DA
    • Jan Rosenstreich
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 23, 2002
        On Sat, 23 Nov 2002 00:18:14 -0800, DA wrote:

        >Hi all,
        >
        >> I have two printers hooked up to print servers to run as network
        >> printers (under NetBEUI) that are accessible to all the machines. I
        >> have disabled print sharing since it is not needed and is a potential
        >> security hole.
        >
        >Good to hear this works with print servers. I'll probably try this
        >as soon as I find the time.

        If you decide to run your network under NetBEUI, make sure your print
        server supports it (some newer ones might only support Novell or
        IPX/SPX). I bought single printer servers that plug directly into the
        back of the printer and convert from the centronix plug to the RJ45
        networking connector. They both came with network drivers that must be
        installed prior to use. If you want to conveniently network your
        printers, look for a router/hub that has a built-in print server that is
        compatible with your printer connection (parallel, USB, etc.)

        I also run a wireless node so my laptop can connect anywhere in the
        house and have network connectivity for internet use, file
        sharing/transfers, and printing. Wireless networks have their own
        security concerns which might get addressed in another thread.

        Jan

        --
        Jan Rosenstreich
        Independent Distributor #130-646
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 23, 2002
          Hi Jan,

          Thanks for the info. It looks like what you have is the direction
          that I am going, including the wireless and notebook. I already
          have the print servers so I'll have to check the protocol compatibility.
          I Just ordered the DSL today and I'm starting that hassle -- Already
          problems with the phone company.

          If you don't mind, I might have some questions for you in a few weeks
          after the DSL is setup.

          DA

          Jan Rosenstreich wrote:
          > >> I have two printers hooked up to print servers to run as network
          > >> printers (under NetBEUI) that are accessible to all the machines. I
          > >> have disabled print sharing since it is not needed and is a potential
          > >> security hole.
          > >
          > >Good to hear this works with print servers. I'll probably try this
          > >as soon as I find the time.
          >
          > If you decide to run your network under NetBEUI, make sure your print
          > server supports it (some newer ones might only support Novell or
          > IPX/SPX). I bought single printer servers that plug directly into the
          > back of the printer and convert from the centronix plug to the RJ45
          > networking connector. They both came with network drivers that must be
          > installed prior to use. If you want to conveniently network your
          > printers, look for a router/hub that has a built-in print server that is
          > compatible with your printer connection (parallel, USB, etc.)
          >
          > I also run a wireless node so my laptop can connect anywhere in the
          > house and have network connectivity for internet use, file
          > sharing/transfers, and printing. Wireless networks have their own
          > security concerns which might get addressed in another thread.
        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 23, 2002
            I would recommend the ZoneAlarm software firewall which has a free and fee
            version. There are lots of others out there, but it is the only one I am
            aware of with a free version. WinXP comes with a bare-bones firewall, but
            from what I understand it has lot of limitations.

            The always on internet connections are a target for crackers.

            I got cable internet a month ago and no problems yet, but I do not want to
            take chances. The free version of ZoneAlarm suits most user's needs. I also
            ran by Steve Gibson's site to make sure my PC is hard to see.

            I do not have any experience with DSL, my dad got it a couple weeks after I
            got cable internet. I do not think he has had any problems yet. I'll check
            it out when I am visiting over Christmas.

            I like the cable connection. I can just plug in my laptop from work, power
            the cable modem off and back on and it works. I dual-boot with Red Hat Linux
            7.2 and it just works too. I do not know if DSL is that simple.

            Larry Hamilton

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 23, 2002
              Hi Larry,

              I was ready to buy ZoneAlarm until I looked at a couple of sites
              where the users were only giving it about a 2/3 approval. Some
              people seem to have a lot of trouble with ZA. This delayed me
              and so I am just biding my time until I have to make a decision.

              ZA has such a good reputation, and yet there seem to be so many
              problems. I don't get it.

              What happened to Black Ice Defender? At one time I thought they
              were leading the pack.

              DA

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 23, 2002
                HI DA,

                DA wrote:
                > Hi Larry,
                >
                > I was ready to buy ZoneAlarm until I looked at a couple of sites
                > where the users were only giving it about a 2/3 approval. Some
                > people seem to have a lot of trouble with ZA. This delayed me
                > and so I am just biding my time until I have to make a decision.

                I have not had significant problems. I find it easy to use.

                > ZA has such a good reputation, and yet there seem to be so many
                > problems. I don't get it.
                >
                > What happened to Black Ice Defender? At one time I thought they
                > were leading the pack.

                I am not sure about them. I tried their demo a few years ago, but do not
                recall any likes or dislikes.

                I have not heard much about them lately.

                Larry
              • Ed Brown
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 23, 2002
                  I had trouble with ZoneAlarm Pro, but I went back to the free version and
                  it has done an excellent job. It was always better than Black Ice,
                  according to all the test ran by Steve Gibson. He had the original spyware
                  detection and removal, his program was called OptOut. And he has some
                  interesting things going now. http://grc.com/steve.htm
                  Ed

                  Larry Hamilton wrote:

                  > I would recommend the ZoneAlarm software firewall which has a free and fee
                  > version. There are lots of others out there, but it is the only one I am
                  > aware of with a free version. WinXP comes with a bare-bones firewall, but
                  > from what I understand it has lot of limitations.

                • Ben Barnet
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 23, 2002
                    Larry Hamilton wrote:

                    > I would recommend the ZoneAlarm software firewall which has a free and fee
                    > version. There are lots of others out there, but it is the only one I am
                    > aware of with a free version.

                    Some others;

                    Outpost
                    nice interface, easy to use, plug-ins for content filtering, ad blocking,
                    etc.

                    Kerio (KPF)
                    http://www.kerio.com/us/kpf_home.html
                    not as intuitive as Outpost or ZoneAlarm and no ad blocking but I really
                    like this one.

                    Sygate
                    http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm
                    no personal experience with this but it is highly regarded by some.

                    I have never used Black Ice Defender either but there was some criticism
                    that it was an "intrusion detection system" rather than a personal
                    firewall in that it did not filter outbound traffic.

                    HTH
                    Ben
                  • Ray Shapp
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 24, 2002
                      Here is some info I saved about a year ago from ZDNet (see below my
                      signature).

                      HTH,

                      Ray Shapp
                      Watchung, NJ

                      **************************
                      Learn how to install and configure ZoneAlarm and Norton Personal Firewall with
                      this step-by-step guide. http://cgi.zdnet.com/slink?46515:5686314

                      __________SPECIAL REPORT____________________
                      CHOOSING PROTECTION FOR YOUR PC

                      http://cgi.zdnet.com/slink?/adeskb/adt0626/2592924:5686314

                      Priced from free to $100, these software solutions keep hackers out. PC
                      Magazine Editor-In-Chief Michael J. Miller has the details.

                      __________MACHRONE'S HOT PRODUCTS____________________
                      SOHO FIREWALLS SHARE SECURE, FAST CONNECTIONS
                      http://cgi.zdnet.com/slink?/adeskb/adt0626/2593949:5686314

                      Protect your small business or home network from outside intruders. Bill
                      Machrone explains how.

                      __________KILLER DOWNLOADS____________________ PROTECT YOURSELF WITH A
                      PERSONAL FIREWALL

                      http://cgi.zdnet.com/slink?/adeskb/adt0622/2591849:5686314

                      If you're concerned about security on your PC, download guy Preston Gralla
                      has an exclusive download that should ease your fears.
                    • Dr. Schröder Raimund
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 25, 2002
                        Hello group,

                        I use the already mentioned Sygate Firewall which is free for already 2
                        years or more. I never encountered any problems and when I tested it (some
                        site on the net offered to make a test if there were some holes or leaks) it
                        was rated safe.

                        Raimund.
                      • alice ttlg
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 25, 2002
                          Ben wrote:
                          > Some others;
                          <snip>

                          here's another:

                          Tiny Firewall
                          http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny2?pg=main

                          I used ZA (free version) for several years but somewhere in the major upgrade
                          they did this year(?) when the interface changed, that's when I heard of more
                          people having problems with it. And lots of problems with the pay version. And
                          tons more problems uninstalling it.

                          I installed a hub/router firewall recently so I turned off ZA, I didn't
                          uninstall it, just unchecked the box to run at startup and I find I have loads
                          of memory and resources freed up, I can run a bunch of programs, open a bunch of
                          sites and I don't crash as much, the Windows resources don't drop to zero any
                          more, I'm not having to reboot a couple times during the day.

                          I also quit using Norton anti-virus a couple months ago, switched to the free
                          version of AVG instead and started using Mozilla instead of IE, so those things
                          helped too but the most dramatic increase of available memory and resources came
                          when I turned off ZA.

                          If I do go back to using firewall software, I'll probably look at Tiny first,
                          I've heard good things about it, plus I'll check out those other links Ben
                          posted.

                          alice ttlg

                          Coda: http://coda.populli.org/
                          Idiot Box: http://idiotbox.populli.org/
                          --
                          In one century, we went from teaching Latin and Greek in high school to offering
                          remedial English in college.
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 25, 2002
                            Hi alice,

                            > Tiny Firewall
                            > http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny2?pg=main
                            >
                            > I used ZA (free version) for several years but somewhere in the major upgrade
                            > they did this year(?) when the interface changed, that's when I heard of more
                            > people having problems with it. And lots of problems with the pay version. And
                            > tons more problems uninstalling it.

                            That's definitely the impression I get from reading many user reviews of ZA.
                            I'll look for an alternative -- Maybe Tiny. Thanks for the info.

                            DA