Re: Smoother Sailing on Win9x WAS - [NTO] Windows TEMP file

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 22, 2002
      I stand corrected.

      I think I read what I posted somewhere, so my bad for perpetuating bad
      information.

      I think I crossed my wires on the part about install files should clean up
      after themselves. In any case....

      I was not thinking about the SET= command and the temp variable, when I
      should have.

      At least we have all the facts together, and can hopefully help others.

      That's the good things about these lists, when we all put our heads together
      and pool our knowledge, we all learn and become better users.

      Thanks for the correction!

      Larry
      (Open mouth, insert hip.)

      Brian Binder wrote:
      > Correct in most cases, but don't get confused on the temp file deletion
      > method...
      >
      > Windows, by design, was NEVER meant to clear out temp files on shutdown.
    • Jan Rosenstreich
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 22, 2002
        On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 19:14:06 -0600, Brian Binder wrote:

        >Correct in most cases, but don't get confused on the temp file deletion
        >method...
        >
        >Windows, by design, was NEVER meant to clear out temp files on shutdown.
        >
        >Never has, never will. Since the introduction of Windows 95 all the way
        >up to Windows XP, there was NEVER an OS release that purposely deleted
        >files on shutdown.

        I agree that Windows will not clear out ALL temp files on shutdown. It
        will clear out the ones that IT created during during a session (for its
        internal use), provided that it shuts down properly. These are the
        files usually found in the Windows\Temp directory. When Windows hangs,
        crashes, or is not shut down properly, these files are left in the
        directory. In my school, it is a running battle to teach the children
        to properly shut down the computers. Every so often, I have to manually
        delete hundreds or thousands of temp files. If I get the motivation, I
        might write a small batch program that deletes the contents of the temp
        file before Windows get booted.

        The other scenario you mention about not cleaning up after install
        programs is so true. I sometimes find several subdirectories under the
        temp directory for programs that didn't install properly, or didn't
        clean up after themselves.

        Jan
        --
        Jan Rosenstreich