Re: [NTO] Windows ME problems

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 20, 2002
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Brian Binder" <bbinder@...>
      To: <ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 10:35 PM
      Subject: RE: [NTO] Windows ME problems

      >For the auto-logon, there's still more options...Do you know what your
      password is? Do you have a password?

      No I never entered a password

      >If you go to Start-->Settings-->Control Panel-->Passwords, you can
      change what the password is or erase it.

      Everything there is blank and I do not remember ever entering a password.

      Question 1> When windows boots up and asks you for the password, what
      does the prompt look like? Is it a gold key that prompts you to enter
      it, or does it say "Enter Network Password", like you are logging into
      Microsoft Networking?
      Neither. It said Windows Password but it no longer comes up.

      >Question 2> Do you know what your username and password is?

      Never entered any.

      >Answer those for me so we can proceed. Sometimes, this is a 1-2-3 thing
      to take care of, but it depends on how you are actually being prompted
      to login to the system.

      >It seems this particular problem is gone, but there may have been another
      arise.
      I will check it in the morning to see if it is still giving trouble.

      >If you know what your username and password is, I can make you a
      registry key to import to stop this behavior from happening, if I know
      the details.

      Say that I did have a password and username and have forgotten that I
      entered them. Is there anyplace in the registry to find them?

      >Some people hate to mess with the registry. Instead of having you do
      it, I can tell you exactly what needs to happen, or make the key for you
      and let you examine it yourself.

      >A program called TweakUI can also do this for you, but some people have
      a problem installing it because it's not in .exe format, but rather in
      an .inf format.

      >I was an expert on Askme.com until they closed it down. I had to walk
      people through this stuff all the time. Even if someone beats me to it,
      I guarantee I can fix this particular problem. I only mention this,
      because I'm not out to make a registry key that will cause your system
      to burst into flames or anything. I know this gets annoying, and it's
      unfortunate that you can't just do a quick fix in some cases. Some
      situations are more involved than others.

      I have found more people that know how to do things with ME and HP's than
      any other place that I have tried to get help.
      Thanks so very much. When I boot up tomorrow I will watch for the other
      problem to develop and will let you know what happened. I am in the cental
      zone.

      >A registry key to disable password caching would also probably
      immediately stop this behavior, BUT it will interfere with trying to
      make dial-up networking save the password when you login to your ISP.

      It appears that this is where the new problem is, but it only happened once
      and it asked for my username and password to get into my mail at the ISP
      after the ISP had already accepted the username and password. I just want
      to see if it will do it again in the AM.

      I would rather address one situation first before we move on to the next
      one.

      Just trying to help in any way I can!

      Brian