Re: [NTO] Windows ME problems

  • John Zeman
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 20, 2002
      Hi Ed,

      This is from my notes back when I used Windows ME..

      John

      If network places is removed from the desktop, the password may not be saved anymore (or you have to log off each time you reboot)

      To manually restore the dialup password (being saved) option.

      Windows 98 (and ME)

      Step 1:
      Click Start and look to the right of "Log Off"
      If there are three periods (illustrated below) continue to step 2 otherwise contact Technical Support.

      Step 2:
      Click "Log Off" and "Yes" to log off of Windows.

      Step 3:
      Enter a username at the Windows login but do not enter a password.
      Click Ok. If prompted to confirm the password click "Ok" or to use a blank password click "Yes".

      You will now be able to save the dialup password.

    • Ed Brown
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 20, 2002
        John,
        Just what I needed, everything is back to normal.

      • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 20, 2002
          Ed Brown,

          One of the reasons Windows {ME & others} refuses to
          REMEMBER passwords is when you are presented with a logon screen
          at boot-up and you either CANCEL or ESC{ape} that window.
          Without valid logon credentials, Windows will NOT save passwords
          (a mediocre attempt by WIN 9x platforms at security).

          It sounds like a *.pwl {password list} file got corrupted,
          renamed or deleted. Using Windows Explorer, perform a search
          (CTRL+F) where Windows is installed (usually C:\Windows) and
          search on *.pwl. None, one or a few files will show up. You may
          opt to RENAME each one (highlight file with mouse and press F2 at
          top of your keyboard) by deleting the letter "l" (sans quotes)
          and substituting the _ (underscore) symbol. For example, change
          william.pwl to william.pw_

          Before you do this, be advised that any preferential
          settings you once had, such as wallpaper, screensaver, desktop
          layout maybe lost and have to be setup by you again.

          If you elect to do this, then on your next reboot, you will
          receive a logon window. Enter a logon ID of your choosing, DO
          NOT enter any passwords (ensure those boxes are blank), hit OK
          (twice, I think) and a new *.pwl will be created. If all goes
          well, the opiton to "SAVE PASSWORD" boxes will return to for you
          to use. The next reboot should NOT prompt you to logon.

          Do not feel you are alone here. Many thousands of us have
          hit this wall (some of us for many times!) and had to sort this
          out.

          Try this and see if it alleviates your quagmire. I think it
          should. I have been reading the responses to this and all have
          presented very good information.

          Any questions, shoot them at us (the NTO list, that is).

          Regards,
          Christopher J. Spilker
          mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
        • Brian Binder
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 20, 2002
            For the auto-logon, there's still more options...Do you know what your
            password is? Do you have a password?

            If you go to Start-->Settings-->Control Panel-->Passwords, you can
            change what the password is or erase it.

            Question 1> When windows boots up and asks you for the password, what
            does the prompt look like? Is it a gold key that prompts you to enter
            it, or does it say "Enter Network Password", like you are logging into
            Microsoft Networking?

            Question 2> Do you know what your username and password is?

            Answer those for me so we can proceed. Sometimes, this is a 1-2-3 thing
            to take care of, but it depends on how you are actually being prompted
            to login to the system.

            If you know what your username and password is, I can make you a
            registry key to import to stop this behavior from happening, if I know
            the details.

            Some people hate to mess with the registry. Instead of having you do
            it, I can tell you exactly what needs to happen, or make the key for you
            and let you examine it yourself.

            A program called TweakUI can also do this for you, but some people have
            a problem installing it because it's not in .exe format, but rather in
            an .inf format.

            I was an expert on Askme.com until they closed it down. I had to walk
            people through this stuff all the time. Even if someone beats me to it,
            I guarantee I can fix this particular problem. I only mention this,
            because I'm not out to make a registry key that will cause your system
            to burst into flames or anything. I know this gets annoying, and it's
            unfortunate that you can't just do a quick fix in some cases. Some
            situations are more involved than others.

            A registry key to disable password caching would also probably
            immediately stop this behavior, BUT it will interfere with trying to
            make dial-up networking save the password when you login to your ISP.

            I would rather address one situation first before we move on to the next
            one.

            Just trying to help in any way I can!

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 20, 2002
              >For the auto-logon, there's still more options...Do you know what your
              password is? Do you have a password?

              No I never entered a password

              >If you go to Start-->Settings-->Control Panel-->Passwords, you can
              change what the password is or erase it.

              Everything there is blank and I do not remember ever entering a password.

              Question 1> When windows boots up and asks you for the password, what
              does the prompt look like? Is it a gold key that prompts you to enter
              it, or does it say "Enter Network Password", like you are logging into
              Microsoft Networking?
              Neither. It said Windows Password but it no longer comes up.

              >Question 2> Do you know what your username and password is?

              Never entered any.

              >Answer those for me so we can proceed. Sometimes, this is a 1-2-3 thing
              to take care of, but it depends on how you are actually being prompted
              to login to the system.

              >It seems this particular problem is gone, but there may have been another
              arise.
              I will check it in the morning to see if it is still giving trouble.

              >If you know what your username and password is, I can make you a
              registry key to import to stop this behavior from happening, if I know
              the details.

              Say that I did have a password and username and have forgotten that I
              entered them. Is there anyplace in the registry to find them?

              >Some people hate to mess with the registry. Instead of having you do
              it, I can tell you exactly what needs to happen, or make the key for you
              and let you examine it yourself.

              >A program called TweakUI can also do this for you, but some people have
              a problem installing it because it's not in .exe format, but rather in
              an .inf format.

              >I was an expert on Askme.com until they closed it down. I had to walk
              people through this stuff all the time. Even if someone beats me to it,
              I guarantee I can fix this particular problem. I only mention this,
              because I'm not out to make a registry key that will cause your system
              to burst into flames or anything. I know this gets annoying, and it's
              unfortunate that you can't just do a quick fix in some cases. Some
              situations are more involved than others.

              I have found more people that know how to do things with ME and HP's than
              any other place that I have tried to get help.
              Thanks so very much. When I boot up tomorrow I will watch for the other
              problem to develop and will let you know what happened. I am in the cental
              zone.

              >A registry key to disable password caching would also probably
              immediately stop this behavior, BUT it will interfere with trying to
              make dial-up networking save the password when you login to your ISP.

              It appears that this is where the new problem is, but it only happened once
              and it asked for my username and password to get into my mail at the ISP
              after the ISP had already accepted the username and password. I just want
              to see if it will do it again in the AM.