Re: [NTO] A new kind of pop up??

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 20, 2002
      > John Zeman wrote:
      >
      > Hi all,
      >
      > However, in just the past couple of weeks I've noticed a random pop
      > up message box that is totally unlike any other I've seen.. It
      > doesn't open a new browser window, instead it seems to be a
      > JavaScript style message box that comes out of the blue.. The
      > message is always the same, something about calling a phone number to
      > get a high school diploma.. It can come at any time, on any web
      > site.. It's happened while I've been on this site looking at the
      > messages here.. It's happened at other sites that I know do not use
      > pop ups...
      >
      > John

      John,

      This sounds very much like a new popup strategy used by direct
      marketers. Just this morning I read something from C|Net about it.

      This is the the text from the bulletin.
      ---------------------
      Direct damage
      Forgive me, but this week I'm ranting. Imagine you're on your home
      computer, typing an e-mail to a friend, when a window pops up on your
      desktop offering you the secret to making 10 grand a month. Your browser
      isn't open, or maybe you use a pop-up killer, so how did this
      advertisement get to you?

      The latest technique in direct marketing exploits a system messaging
      capability of Windows which was intended for system administrators to
      communicate with users on their networks. This capability is turned on
      by default in Windows. Fortunately, it's easy to take care of the
      problem by either using firewall software or turning off the messenger
      service. (But don't try this on your work computer; let your system
      administrator handle it.)

      Now, while I try to be fair and respect legitimate business interests,
      direct marketers sending Internet spam or cramming my mailbox with
      useless offal are the lowest of the low. Used car salesmen and lawyers
      have nothing on these direct marketers. If I want to buy something, I'm
      smart enough to find it myself, thank you.
      This is a link to instructions for turning off your messenger service.

      http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/messengerService.html

      Hope it helps.

      hrs