Re: [NTO] Sliding Index

  • Mike H
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 14, 2002
      Ed Brown wrote:
      > Recently I saw a page that the index slid down the page as the reader
      > scrolled down the page. I would like to incorporate that on one of my
      > pages. Do any of you have an similar page or know the URL of a page
      > that has that feature?
      > Ed
      > You can sometimes count every orange on a tree but never all the
      > trees in a single orange. -A.K. Ramanujan, poet (1929-1993)

      Check the source at Glassdog. You will find these lines in the head. I
      suspect the JS has more to do with the dynamic layer effect than the CSS.

      To view the JS add the /js/magic.js or /js/smooth/js to the base address and
      read the files you will download.
      <link rel="stylesheet" href="/css/glassdog.css" />
      <script language="javascript" src="/js/magic.js"></script>
      <script language="javascript" src="/js/smooth.js"></script>
      <script language="javascript" src="/js/tools.js"></script>
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 14, 2002
        At 20:11 2002.11.14, you wrote:
        >Check the source at Glassdog. You will find these lines in the head. I
        >suspect the JS has more to do with the dynamic layer effect than the CSS.

        Yup. What one *really* wants to use is the CSS property "position: fixed"
        that makes the box look like it's glued to the window without the jumpiness
        the JS trick causes. The problem is that while it's supported by most
        modern browsers IE Windows isn't among them.

        I nice guy called Andrew Clover makes a plugin javascript available that
        fixes (pun intended!) the problem in IE while it leaves browsers with
        better CSS support alone. It also mends IE's problem with fixed
        backgrounds. Worth trying.
        Something seems to be wrong with his site ATM though.
        http://and.doxdesk.com/

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 20, 2002
          Ed,

          If you are still interested the the page I mentioned is up now at last.
          Here's a direct link:
          http://and.doxdesk.com/software/js/fixed.html

          Lotta

          >I nice guy called Andrew Clover makes a plugin javascript available that
          >fixes (pun intended!) the problem in IE while it leaves browsers with
          >better CSS support alone. It also mends IE's problem with fixed
          >backgrounds. Worth trying.
          >Something seems to be wrong with his site ATM though.
          >http://and.doxdesk.com/
        • Ed Brown
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 20, 2002
            I am still not getting it, but will try again later tonite. Thanks,
            Ed
            If you are still interested the the page I mentioned is up now at last.
            Here's a direct link:
            http://and.doxdesk.com/software/js/fixed.html

            Lotta

            >I nice guy called Andrew Clover makes a plugin javascript available that
            >fixes (pun intended!) the problem in IE while it leaves browsers with
            >better CSS support alone. It also mends IE's problem with fixed
            >backgrounds. Worth trying.
            >Something seems to be wrong with his site ATM though.
            >http://and.doxdesk.com/

          • melchior prisi
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
              Hi,

              This one works:

              http://www.doxdesk.com/software/js/fixed.html

              Note: Site calls itself and.doxdesk.com
              But URL is just doxdesk...

              Regards,
              Melchior

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
                At 21:15 2002.12.01, melchior prisi wrote:
                >This one works:
                >
                >http://www.doxdesk.com/software/js/fixed.html
                >
                >Note: Site calls itself and.doxdesk.com
                >But URL is just doxdesk...

                Yeah, he has moved the pages. There was other pages at the main domain
                earlier and that was up all the time. Funny there is no redirection or
                anything at and.doxdex.com. Anyway, the cool stuff is there. Check his
                "Parasite".

                Thanks
                Lotta
              • Bob Janes
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
                  Lotta wrote:

                  > Yeah, he has moved the pages. There was other pages at the main domain
                  earlier and that was up all the time. Funny there is no redirection or
                  anything at and.doxdex.com.

                  Reading his blog -- he had a DoS attack that upset his ISP enough to
                  close the site down.

                  Best wishes

                  Bob

                  --

                  Bob Janes
                  Coach

                  Nothing has value but that which you grant it. ~ Anonymous