Re: [NTO] Odd file in cache directory - spyware?

  • DA
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 6, 2002
      Hi, Christopher,

      There's nothing in the Task Manager that says fat.db.
      By the way it is sort of big for a file of this type -- 340k.

      I suppose I could try killing processes one at a time until
      something works. Naw, that's too much work. There's 49
      processes running, and it's possible none of them is the
      culprit.

      Any other ideas?

      DA

      "Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker" wrote:

      > Hi DA,
      >
      > Answer:
      >
      > Try to go into Task Manager (via CTRL+ALT+DEL), look in
      > Processes, find "fat.db", KILL it and then attempt to delete it.
      >
      > See if this helps / works for you.
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 6, 2002
        Hey DA,

        > DA wrote:
        >
        > Hi anybody,
        >
        > It's named fat.db and I can't delete or rename

        Fat.db is a standard Netscape file and has long been so. Upon viewing,
        it appears to be as the name implies, a database of sorts. It's a db of
        most of the gif files and the associated sites you have browsed and
        which cache file the info is stored in.

        > Cannot delete fat: There has been a sharing violation.
        > The source or destination file may be in use.

        Although I don't remember ever trying, it's odd that you can't delete it
        if Netscape isn't running. That would most likely be the source of a
        sharing violation. It may be indicative of the presence of Ad-ware or
        a virus using the file to gather and transmit information of your web
        travels.

        In Netscape, Edit/Preferences, clear your cache and cache memory, shut
        down NS, disconnect from your ISP and try again. I can delete
        mine(Win98) but NS4.79 isn't my default browser.

        > In the last couple of days, I noticed that my computer
        > sometimes gets very slow when on the web because it is busy
        > doing something else. The mouse pointer momentarily hangs
        > up and when I look at cpu usage in Task Manager, it is about
        > 80% busy even though I am not doing anything.

        When did you have your last Virus checkup? This overactive CPU and the
        sharing violation could be a symptom that you are infected. The new
        viruses are getting smarter. They can range from Nuisance to being
        destructive, can log on to their host site and download virus updates
        when you're connected.

        > Does anyone know how to get rid of this file? Or does it
        > really belong there

        It belongs there, it's possible the installation marked it as protected,
        if, since, Netscape is your default browser.

        > DA

        hrs
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 6, 2002
          Hey DA,

          > DA wrote:
          >
          > Hi anybody,
          >
          > It's named fat.db and I can't delete or rename

          Fat.db is a standard Netscape file and has long been so. Upon viewing,
          it appears to be as the name implies, a database of sorts. It's a db of
          most of the gif files and the associated sites you have browsed and
          which cache file the info is stored in.

          > Cannot delete fat: There has been a sharing violation.
          > The source or destination file may be in use.

          Although I don't remember ever trying, it's odd that you can't delete it
          if Netscape isn't running. That would most likely be the source of a
          sharing violation. It may be indicative of the presence of Ad-ware or
          a v i r u s using the file to gather and transmit information of your web
          travels.

          In Netscape, Edit/Preferences, clear your cache and cache memory, shut
          down NS, disconnect from your ISP and try again. I can delete
          mine(Win98) but NS4.79 isn't my default browser.

          > In the last couple of days, I noticed that my computer
          > sometimes gets very slow when on the web because it is busy
          > doing something else. The mouse pointer momentarily hangs
          > up and when I look at cpu usage in Task Manager, it is about
          > 80% busy even though I am not doing anything.

          When did you have your last V i r u s checkup? This overactive CPU
          and the sharing violation could be a symptom that you are infected. The
          new v i r u s e s are getting smarter. They can range from Nuisance
          to being
          destructive, can log on to their host site and download v i r u s
          updates when you're connected.

          > Does anyone know how to get rid of this file? Or does it
          > really belong there

          It belongs there, it's possible the installation marked it as protected,
          if, since, Netscape is your default browser.

          > DA

          hrs

          PS. This was rejected by Yahoo the first try, I spread out some words
          just in case.
        • DA
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 6, 2002
            Hi Harvey,

            I just searched fat.db with google and like you said,
            it is supposed to be there. The odd part is that
            I can't delete it. I think I never noticed it before
            because it was always deleted with the rest of the trash.

            I found this definition for fat.db, and if this is its
            purpose, then there should be no reason why it can't
            be deleted with the rest of the cache.

            "It's a hashed DB of the entries in the cache.
            Allows faster lookup than spinning through the
            directory, and isolates Netscape from different
            file systems."

            > Although I don't remember ever trying, it's odd that you can't
            > delete it if Netscape isn't running. That would most likely
            > be the source of a sharing violation. It may be indicative
            > of the presence of Ad-ware or a virus using the file to
            > gather and transmit information of your web travels.

            That's what concerns me!

            > In Netscape, Edit/Preferences, clear your cache and cache memory, shut
            > down NS, disconnect from your ISP and try again. I can delete
            > mine(Win98) but NS4.79 isn't my default browser.

            OK. Did that, and now the size is down to 16kb. I think this
            is probably normal.

            I just now tried deleting it. Now it deletes now too, and it gets
            recreated when I start Netscape. This seems normal to me.

            > When did you have your last Virus checkup? This overactive CPU and the
            > sharing violation could be a symptom that you are infected. The new
            > viruses are getting smarter. They can range from Nuisance to being
            > destructive, can log on to their host site and download virus updates
            > when you're connected.

            My Norton antivirus definitions are completely up to date,
            so if it is a virus it's one that sneaked by NAV.

            I think it is fixed now anyhow. Thanks for pointing my nose in the
            right direction!

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 6, 2002
              Hi DA,

              RE: Deleting fat.db in Netscape 4.79

              I do not have any more ideas, though I tip my hat to Harvey
              for getting you there! I am not using Netscape and thought, what
              the hay, give this a try. Many times, it is a running, backround
              process that can not be readily and easily deleted. This was not
              one of those times.

              Thanks, Harvey (aka hrs) for the input. I'll file that one
              away.

              Regards,
              Christopher J. Spilker
              mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 6, 2002
                > PS. This was rejected by Yahoo the first try, I spread out some
                > words just in case.

                FYI: I got both versions delivered by my ISP. I'm curious: what are the
                symptoms of being "rejected" by Yahoo.

                On web-site I see:
                3667 Re: Odd file in cache directory - spyware? hsavage hrs62930
                9:57 am 4 KB
                3668 Re: Odd file in cache directory - s p y w a r e ? hsavage hrs62930
                10:07 am 4 KB

                Regards ... Alec
                --
                -------------------------

                hsavage wrote (Wed, 06-Nov-2002 10:07 [GMT-0500]):
                <snip>
              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 6, 2002
                  > Alec Burgess wrote:
                  >
                  > FYI: I got both versions delivered by my ISP. I'm curious: what are the
                  > symptoms of being "rejected" by Yahoo.
                  >
                  > On web-site I see:
                  > 3667 Re: Odd file in cache directory - spyware? hsavage hrs62930
                  > 9:57 am 4 KB
                  > 3668 Re: Odd file in cache directory - s p y w a r e ? hsavage hrs62930
                  > 10:07 am 4 KB

                  Alec,

                  I don't remember the exact verbiage but, something to the effect that
                  yahoo had rejected the first version of the email.

                  Could have been a glitch from my ISP, adding or deleting bytes, could
                  have been anything.

                  hrs