RE: [NTO] Odd file in cache directory - spyware?

  • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 6, 2002
      Hi DA,

      RE: I recently found this odd file in my Netscape 4.79
      cache directory while cleaning out the cache.

      It's named fat.db and I can't delete or rename it
      because I get the message:

      Cannot delete fat: There has been a sharing
      violation. The source or destination file may be in use.

      Answer:

      Try to go into Task Manager (via CTRL+ALT+DEL), look in
      Processes, find "fat.db", KILL it and then attempt to delete it.

      See if this helps / works for you.

      Regards,
      Christopher J. Spilker
      mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
    • DA
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 6, 2002
        Hi, Christopher,

        There's nothing in the Task Manager that says fat.db.
        By the way it is sort of big for a file of this type -- 340k.

        I suppose I could try killing processes one at a time until
        something works. Naw, that's too much work. There's 49
        processes running, and it's possible none of them is the
        culprit.

        Any other ideas?

        DA

        "Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker" wrote:

        > Hi DA,
        >
        > Answer:
        >
        > Try to go into Task Manager (via CTRL+ALT+DEL), look in
        > Processes, find "fat.db", KILL it and then attempt to delete it.
        >
        > See if this helps / works for you.
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 6, 2002
          Hey DA,

          > DA wrote:
          >
          > Hi anybody,
          >
          > It's named fat.db and I can't delete or rename

          Fat.db is a standard Netscape file and has long been so. Upon viewing,
          it appears to be as the name implies, a database of sorts. It's a db of
          most of the gif files and the associated sites you have browsed and
          which cache file the info is stored in.

          > Cannot delete fat: There has been a sharing violation.
          > The source or destination file may be in use.

          Although I don't remember ever trying, it's odd that you can't delete it
          if Netscape isn't running. That would most likely be the source of a
          sharing violation. It may be indicative of the presence of Ad-ware or
          a virus using the file to gather and transmit information of your web
          travels.

          In Netscape, Edit/Preferences, clear your cache and cache memory, shut
          down NS, disconnect from your ISP and try again. I can delete
          mine(Win98) but NS4.79 isn't my default browser.

          > In the last couple of days, I noticed that my computer
          > sometimes gets very slow when on the web because it is busy
          > doing something else. The mouse pointer momentarily hangs
          > up and when I look at cpu usage in Task Manager, it is about
          > 80% busy even though I am not doing anything.

          When did you have your last Virus checkup? This overactive CPU and the
          sharing violation could be a symptom that you are infected. The new
          viruses are getting smarter. They can range from Nuisance to being
          destructive, can log on to their host site and download virus updates
          when you're connected.

          > Does anyone know how to get rid of this file? Or does it
          > really belong there

          It belongs there, it's possible the installation marked it as protected,
          if, since, Netscape is your default browser.

          > DA

          hrs
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 6, 2002
            Hey DA,

            > DA wrote:
            >
            > Hi anybody,
            >
            > It's named fat.db and I can't delete or rename

            Fat.db is a standard Netscape file and has long been so. Upon viewing,
            it appears to be as the name implies, a database of sorts. It's a db of
            most of the gif files and the associated sites you have browsed and
            which cache file the info is stored in.

            > Cannot delete fat: There has been a sharing violation.
            > The source or destination file may be in use.

            Although I don't remember ever trying, it's odd that you can't delete it
            if Netscape isn't running. That would most likely be the source of a
            sharing violation. It may be indicative of the presence of Ad-ware or
            a v i r u s using the file to gather and transmit information of your web
            travels.

            In Netscape, Edit/Preferences, clear your cache and cache memory, shut
            down NS, disconnect from your ISP and try again. I can delete
            mine(Win98) but NS4.79 isn't my default browser.

            > In the last couple of days, I noticed that my computer
            > sometimes gets very slow when on the web because it is busy
            > doing something else. The mouse pointer momentarily hangs
            > up and when I look at cpu usage in Task Manager, it is about
            > 80% busy even though I am not doing anything.

            When did you have your last V i r u s checkup? This overactive CPU
            and the sharing violation could be a symptom that you are infected. The
            new v i r u s e s are getting smarter. They can range from Nuisance
            to being
            destructive, can log on to their host site and download v i r u s
            updates when you're connected.

            > Does anyone know how to get rid of this file? Or does it
            > really belong there

            It belongs there, it's possible the installation marked it as protected,
            if, since, Netscape is your default browser.

            > DA

            hrs

            PS. This was rejected by Yahoo the first try, I spread out some words
            just in case.
          • DA
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 6, 2002
              Hi Harvey,

              I just searched fat.db with google and like you said,
              it is supposed to be there. The odd part is that
              I can't delete it. I think I never noticed it before
              because it was always deleted with the rest of the trash.

              I found this definition for fat.db, and if this is its
              purpose, then there should be no reason why it can't
              be deleted with the rest of the cache.

              "It's a hashed DB of the entries in the cache.
              Allows faster lookup than spinning through the
              directory, and isolates Netscape from different
              file systems."

              > Although I don't remember ever trying, it's odd that you can't
              > delete it if Netscape isn't running. That would most likely
              > be the source of a sharing violation. It may be indicative
              > of the presence of Ad-ware or a virus using the file to
              > gather and transmit information of your web travels.

              That's what concerns me!

              > In Netscape, Edit/Preferences, clear your cache and cache memory, shut
              > down NS, disconnect from your ISP and try again. I can delete
              > mine(Win98) but NS4.79 isn't my default browser.

              OK. Did that, and now the size is down to 16kb. I think this
              is probably normal.

              I just now tried deleting it. Now it deletes now too, and it gets
              recreated when I start Netscape. This seems normal to me.

              > When did you have your last Virus checkup? This overactive CPU and the
              > sharing violation could be a symptom that you are infected. The new
              > viruses are getting smarter. They can range from Nuisance to being
              > destructive, can log on to their host site and download virus updates
              > when you're connected.

              My Norton antivirus definitions are completely up to date,
              so if it is a virus it's one that sneaked by NAV.

              I think it is fixed now anyhow. Thanks for pointing my nose in the
              right direction!

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 6, 2002
                Hi DA,

                RE: Deleting fat.db in Netscape 4.79

                I do not have any more ideas, though I tip my hat to Harvey
                for getting you there! I am not using Netscape and thought, what
                the hay, give this a try. Many times, it is a running, backround
                process that can not be readily and easily deleted. This was not
                one of those times.

                Thanks, Harvey (aka hrs) for the input. I'll file that one
                away.

                Regards,
                Christopher J. Spilker
                mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
              • Alec Burgess
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 6, 2002
                  > PS. This was rejected by Yahoo the first try, I spread out some
                  > words just in case.

                  FYI: I got both versions delivered by my ISP. I'm curious: what are the
                  symptoms of being "rejected" by Yahoo.

                  On web-site I see:
                  3667 Re: Odd file in cache directory - spyware? hsavage hrs62930
                  9:57 am 4 KB
                  3668 Re: Odd file in cache directory - s p y w a r e ? hsavage hrs62930
                  10:07 am 4 KB

                  Regards ... Alec
                  --
                  -------------------------

                  hsavage wrote (Wed, 06-Nov-2002 10:07 [GMT-0500]):
                  <snip>
                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 6, 2002
                    > Alec Burgess wrote:
                    >
                    > FYI: I got both versions delivered by my ISP. I'm curious: what are the
                    > symptoms of being "rejected" by Yahoo.
                    >
                    > On web-site I see:
                    > 3667 Re: Odd file in cache directory - spyware? hsavage hrs62930
                    > 9:57 am 4 KB
                    > 3668 Re: Odd file in cache directory - s p y w a r e ? hsavage hrs62930
                    > 10:07 am 4 KB

                    Alec,

                    I don't remember the exact verbiage but, something to the effect that
                    yahoo had rejected the first version of the email.

                    Could have been a glitch from my ISP, adding or deleting bytes, could
                    have been anything.

                    hrs