RE: [NTO] app running in bkgrd

  • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 2, 2002
      Joe Braly,

      This response is in regards to a service, MSGSRV32.EXE,
      running, as you say, "in the backround." I have had some
      experience with this and researched its functionality. First, it
      should ALWAYS be running. Second, it should NOT be interfering
      with anything on your computer and should not be using anything
      but a MINUTE amount system resources.

      MSGSRV32.EXE is used at boot-up and shutdown times to
      perform hardware checks for the most part. It is a necessary
      component for Windows 95, 98 and 98SE (uncertain about other
      flavors of Windows) to run. I once worked on acomputer that
      MSGSRV32.EXE complained on shutdown, every time. It was failing
      a call to a Creative Technologies Sound Blaster PnP file. I
      renamed the file, the sound card still worked fine and the
      computer went back to a normal shutdown. If MSGSRV32.EXE errors
      on your computer, look at what it says is complaining TO it (by
      clicking on DETAILS). That is a significant piece of information
      you need to ascertain. I have no idea why this particular Sound
      Blaster file was being called to by MSGSRV32.EXE. It was not my
      computer, I was fixing someone else's.

      On the very same computer, I must add, the wrong amount of
      RAM was being detected at boot up. That turned out to be a
      reseat of the RAM memory module. I still wonder if that played a
      role in the above matter. I understand that RAM failures are 1)
      hard to detect and 2) can cause all sorts of very strange
      anomalies.

      I also saw this description on the web:

      MSGSRV32.EXE is a Windows 32-bit VxD Message Server. For
      more information on its function and why it's needed, see here
      {MS Knowledge Base article below}. Note - why some people have it
      listed in start-up programs I don't know but I was asked to
      include it here. It automatically runs in the background.

      Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q138708
      Function of the Windows 32-Bit Message Server
      Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
      Microsoft Windows 98
      Microsoft Windows 95

      SUMMARY

      This article describes the purpose of the Windows 32-bit message
      server (Msgsrv32.exe).

      MORE INFORMATION

      Msgsrv32.exe is a program that runs invisibly on the Windows
      desktop and performs several background functions necessary for
      Windows operation. These functions include:

      Mediate Plug and Play messages among various parts of the
      operating system.
      Coordinate automatic responses to Setup programs. This includes
      checking whether a Setup program has improperly overwritten
      Windows files, and optionally restoring the Windows versions of
      those files.
      Display the initial logon dialog box if networking is enabled.
      Play the system startup and shutdown sounds.
      Load installable Windows drivers at startup and unload them at
      shutdown.
      Run the shell program (usually Explorer.exe) and re-run the shell
      if it fails to respond.

      I hope this is of some help to you. Let us know if you
      indeed find the underlying cause. Good luck.

      Kind regards,
      Christopher J. Spilker
      mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
    • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 2, 2002
        Joe,

        I see Jim Hall beat me to the punch regarding MSGSRV32.EXE.
        :-)

        Kind regards,
        Christopher J. Spilker
        mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
      • future.com@vsnl.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 2, 2002
          Just make sure you are not talking about msgsvr32.exe (and not msvsrv32.exe)

          The two names are so similer that an error is possible.

          msgsvr32.exe ia trojan

          you can get the solution for removing it by seareching on the net

          Srish Agrawal

          At 09:06 AM 11/2/02 -0600, you wrote:

          >Ed Brown wrote:
          >
          >> Hi everyone,
          >> I have something strange going on, and I have run virus checks and received
          >> a no viruses present message. (Snip)
          >>
          >> Yet this program is running in the background, I have used the ctrl, alt,
          >> delete button and nothing is listed there beyond the usual programs running
          >> in the background, PowerChute (battery power supply that saves all programs
          >> that are open and then shuts the computer off in case of power loss) Norton
          >> Program Scheduler, and that only operates in the early morning hours,
          >> ZoneAlarm free version, and thats all. Yet something freezes up my cursor
          >> freezes up at times and refuses to budge, although any letters in a word
          >> that I type while it is not working will suddenly appear when it starts
          >> working again. Sometimes I cannot use the backspace but suddenly it will
          >> start to operate and then backspaces as many times as I had previously hit
          >> the key. All in all it acts like an extremely busy computer, but it should
          >> not be as nothing that I can find is really running. Yet something must be
          >> running somewhere in the background. Got any ideas?
          >
          >I have much the same problem, except I have difference programs running in
          >Systray.
          >The difference is after a spell, the system lockup and when I do a Ctrl, alt,
          >delete - msgsrv32
          >is shown as not responding. I can do a End Task and all the problems go away
          >and speed is
          >greatly increased. System works fine until reboot. Also, while msgsrv32 is
          >running, I have
          >almost constant transmission over the internet. None after the task has been
          >ended. I have
          >tried to remove this file so it would not startup at boot, but have not been
          >able too.
          >Also, prior to the system stopping, ctrl, alt, delete, does not show msgsrv32
          >in the list.
          >
          >I downloaded Ad-aware to check for spyware ( found 14 ) and msgsrv32 was
          listed
          >as a component.
          >Not sure how the term component is used, but msgsrv32 was not removed from
          the
          >system. The 14 files
          >of spyware were removed.
          >
          >I am running Win 98..
          >
          >Any one know how to get rid of msgsrv32.exe. The file is located under
          Window;