Re: [NTO] app running in bkgrd

  • Jim Hall
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 2, 2002
      Joe,

      Just some ideas for you.
      Hope they give you some ideas that work out.

      Regards,

      Jim

      At 09:06 AM 11/2/2002 -0600, you wrote:

      >Any one know how to get rid of msgsrv32.exe. The file is located under Window;
      >System.

      That is not really a good plan - Here is why.

      Function of the Windows 32-Bit Message Server
      ID: Q138708

      msgsrv32.exe is a program that runs invisibly on the Windows desktop and performs several background functions necessary for Windows operation. These functions include:

      · Mediate Plug and Play messages among various parts of the operating system.

      · Coordinate automatic responses to Setup programs. This includes checking whether a Setup program has improperly overwritten Windows files, and optionally restoring the Windows versions of those files.

      · Display the initial logon dialog box if networking is enabled.

      · Play the system startup and shutdown sounds.

      · Load installable Windows drivers at startup and unload them at shutdown.

      · Run the shell program (usually Explorer.exe) and re-run the shell if it fails to respond.

      BTW

      A couple of things you might try is to temporarily disable any screensaver you have running and disable your Advanced Power Managment.

      When your computer is idle for a period of time and then stops responding (hangs), the Close Program dialog box may report that msgsrv32.exe is not responding.

      CAUSE
      This behavior can occur when power management is enabled, and you have issues with programs not responding correctly to power management commands, for example, screen saver programs.

      RESOLUTION
      To work around this behavior, use the following steps:
      Quit any running programs, and then test to determine if a specific program is causing this behavior. If you quit all running programs and the issue is resolved, one of the programs that was running is the cause of this behavior. If this does not resolve the issue, continue to step 2.

      NOTE: This issue is often caused by screen saver programs.

      Disable power management. To do so, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Power.

      In the Power Management box, click Off (or click the "Allow windows to manage power on this computer" check box to clear it).

      Click OK.

      Restart your computer.

      If the behavior continues to occur, follow these additional steps:

      In Control Panel, double-click System.

      On the Device Manager tab, double-click the System Devices branch to expand it.

      Double-click Advanced Power Management Support.

      On the Settings tab, click the Enable Power Management Support check box to clear it, and then click OK.

      Click OK.

      Restart your computer when you are prompted to do so.

    • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 2, 2002
        Joe Braly,

        This response is in regards to a service, MSGSRV32.EXE,
        running, as you say, "in the backround." I have had some
        experience with this and researched its functionality. First, it
        should ALWAYS be running. Second, it should NOT be interfering
        with anything on your computer and should not be using anything
        but a MINUTE amount system resources.

        MSGSRV32.EXE is used at boot-up and shutdown times to
        perform hardware checks for the most part. It is a necessary
        component for Windows 95, 98 and 98SE (uncertain about other
        flavors of Windows) to run. I once worked on acomputer that
        MSGSRV32.EXE complained on shutdown, every time. It was failing
        a call to a Creative Technologies Sound Blaster PnP file. I
        renamed the file, the sound card still worked fine and the
        computer went back to a normal shutdown. If MSGSRV32.EXE errors
        on your computer, look at what it says is complaining TO it (by
        clicking on DETAILS). That is a significant piece of information
        you need to ascertain. I have no idea why this particular Sound
        Blaster file was being called to by MSGSRV32.EXE. It was not my
        computer, I was fixing someone else's.

        On the very same computer, I must add, the wrong amount of
        RAM was being detected at boot up. That turned out to be a
        reseat of the RAM memory module. I still wonder if that played a
        role in the above matter. I understand that RAM failures are 1)
        hard to detect and 2) can cause all sorts of very strange
        anomalies.

        I also saw this description on the web:

        MSGSRV32.EXE is a Windows 32-bit VxD Message Server. For
        more information on its function and why it's needed, see here
        {MS Knowledge Base article below}. Note - why some people have it
        listed in start-up programs I don't know but I was asked to
        include it here. It automatically runs in the background.

        Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q138708
        Function of the Windows 32-Bit Message Server
        Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
        Microsoft Windows 98
        Microsoft Windows 95

        SUMMARY

        This article describes the purpose of the Windows 32-bit message
        server (Msgsrv32.exe).

        MORE INFORMATION

        Msgsrv32.exe is a program that runs invisibly on the Windows
        desktop and performs several background functions necessary for
        Windows operation. These functions include:

        Mediate Plug and Play messages among various parts of the
        operating system.
        Coordinate automatic responses to Setup programs. This includes
        checking whether a Setup program has improperly overwritten
        Windows files, and optionally restoring the Windows versions of
        those files.
        Display the initial logon dialog box if networking is enabled.
        Play the system startup and shutdown sounds.
        Load installable Windows drivers at startup and unload them at
        shutdown.
        Run the shell program (usually Explorer.exe) and re-run the shell
        if it fails to respond.

        I hope this is of some help to you. Let us know if you
        indeed find the underlying cause. Good luck.

        Kind regards,
        Christopher J. Spilker
        mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
      • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 2, 2002
          Joe,

          I see Jim Hall beat me to the punch regarding MSGSRV32.EXE.
          :-)

          Kind regards,
          Christopher J. Spilker
          mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
        • future.com@vsnl.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 2, 2002
            Just make sure you are not talking about msgsvr32.exe (and not msvsrv32.exe)

            The two names are so similer that an error is possible.

            msgsvr32.exe ia trojan

            you can get the solution for removing it by seareching on the net

            Srish Agrawal