Recs on FTP programs?

  • alice ttlg
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 14, 2002
      I currently use CuteFtp 2.8 and I like it alot but I need to be able to schedule
      backups of my websites to be done once a week at night when I'm asleep and it
      doesn't have that capability.

      So I'm looking for recs, either freeware, shareware or pay (preferably with a
      free full-featured demo tho) and my requirements:

      1. Scheduling of complete downloads from various ftp hosts of specific folders
      at each host to be done weekly.

      2. Four of the sites are fairly large, 150 to 250 meg, then there's a half a
      dozen small sites, less than 30 meg each.

      3. All the sites have individual unique hosts and logins so I need to be able to
      schedule multiple downloads in advance and I want it to be recurring, I don't
      want to have to set it up all over again each week.

      4. Has to work on Windows 98 with Linux hosts and be able to turn off filtering
      so that the .htaccess and other usually hidden files can be seen and downloaded.

      Thanks much for any suggestions!

      alice ttlg

      NEW! Firefly archive: http://firefly.populli.org/
      Coda: http://coda.populli.org/
      Idiot Box: http://idiotbox.populli.org/
      --
      .....And I am both terrified and reassured to know that there are still wonders
      in the universe; that we have not yet explained everything.
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 16, 2002
        Hi Alice,

        I just read the Linux part after writing all this. Hopefully it
        was not all in vain. ;)

        I don't know of an FTP prog that can do scheduling, but I have a
        number of them including a couple registered. I will check out
        the one that might for you if you want. You might try asking
        Marcus (sp) in Italy who I think is on this list to add it in his
        UpAway - I think it is called. (It can be download from
        www.notetab.com under Download I believe.

        Now, I very bright lady like you should have no problem writing a
        script for NoteTab that would run your Clips to upload at certain
        times. I would use Ws_FtpLE or Pro since you can use my one
        clicked FtpZip Library for it. Examples are in the Library
        http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm For the timing of it see
        the old Library RemindMe. I'm not sure if it is still a standard
        issue as we would have called it in the Army. ;)

        >I currently use CuteFtp 2.8 and I like it alot but I need to be
        >able to schedule backups of my websites to be done once a week at
        >night when I'm asleep and it doesn't have that capability.
        >
        >So I'm looking for recs, either freeware, shareware or pay
        >(preferably with a free full-featured demo tho) and my
        >requirements:
        >
        >1. Scheduling of complete downloads from various ftp hosts of
        >specific folders at each host to be done weekly.
        >
        >2. Four of the sites are fairly large, 150 to 250 meg, then
        >there's a half a dozen small sites, less than 30 meg each.
        >
        >3. All the sites have individual unique hosts and logins so I
        >need to be able to schedule multiple downloads in advance and I
        >want it to be recurring, I don't want to have to set it up all
        >over again each week.
        >
        >4. Has to work on Windows 98 with Linux hosts and be able to turn
        >off filtering so that the .htaccess and other usually hidden
        >files can be seen and downloaded.
        >
        >Thanks much for any suggestions!
        >
        >alice ttlg
        >

        >NEW! Firefly archive: http://firefly.populli.org/
        >Coda: http://coda.populli.org/
        >Idiot Box: http://idiotbox.populli.org/
        >--
        >.....And I am both terrified and reassured to know that there are still wonders
        >in the universe; that we have not yet explained everything.
        >- G'Kar, Babylon 5

      • Marcus
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 16, 2002
          > I don't know of an FTP prog that can do scheduling, but I
          > have a
          > number of them including a couple registered. I will check
          > out
          > the one that might for you if you want. You might try asking
          > Marcus...

          UploadAway would almost be what you are looking for if it also
          did downloads :-) Sofar it's uploads only. If you take a look
          and let me know if it otherwise looks right, I could probably
          add downloading. UploadAway only handles files which have
          changed, so you wouldn't have to transfer the whole lot every
          night. There's a command line version which works well with the
          Windows scheduler. I think Unix dot files are no problem, since
          we are talking FTP protocol, not Windows or *nix.

          http://www.uploadaway.com

          Most such utilities AFAIK are available on Unix, at least the
          command line ones, which is what you probably want with a
          scheduler. Now you could get a Unix program which is writtenm
          in Perl or Python, install the interpreter and use that, maybe.

          Say, why doesn't a downloader like Gozilla, GetRight etc. do
          the job? Gozilla has a scheduler, although I would get an old
          version. The author sold it to some marketing company and they
          put annoying stuff inside. In the mean time it has changed
          hands again. I've stayed away from their upgrades.

          Let me know how your search goes.

          Marcus
        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 16, 2002
            Hi, Have you looked at version 5 of CuteFTP? I could be wrong, but
            from the feature list it sure looks like it has all you want.

            Sheri
          • Peter G Henry
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 17, 2002
              WS_FTP Pro latest version does scheduling.
              > I don't know of an FTP prog that can do scheduling, but I
              > have a
              > number of them including a couple registered. I will check
              > out
              > the one that might for you if you want. You might try asking
              > Marcus...

              UploadAway would almost be what you are looking for if it also
              did downloads :-) Sofar it's uploads only. If you take a look
              and let me know if it otherwise looks right, I could probably
              add downloading. UploadAway only handles files which have
              changed, so you wouldn't have to transfer the whole lot every
              night. There's a command line version which works well with the
              Windows scheduler. I think Unix dot files are no problem, since
              we are talking FTP protocol, not Windows or *nix.

              http://www.uploadaway.com

              Most such utilities AFAIK are available on Unix, at least the
              command line ones, which is what you probably want with a
              scheduler. Now you could get a Unix program which is writtenm
              in Perl or Python, install the interpreter and use that, maybe.

              Say, why doesn't a downloader like Gozilla, GetRight etc. do
              the job? Gozilla has a scheduler, although I would get an old
              version. The author sold it to some marketing company and they
              put annoying stuff inside. In the mean time it has changed
              hands again. I've stayed away from their upgrades.

              Let me know how your search goes.

              Marcus

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 17, 2002
                Hi Peter,

                >WS_FTP Pro latest version does scheduling.

                My FtpZip Library works with Ws_Ftp Pro quite well from what I
                am told. Maybe it was Alan, Alec, or Hugo (I think Hugo) who
                worked with me on supporting Pro. If you have a lot of sites to
                manage or even one I think it is well work checking out because
                you can upload using the command-line from NoteTab. It does it
                all why you continue to word and shuts down on its own. All
                with one click if you wish.