Re: [NTO] Mozilla (was [NH])

  • alice ttlg
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 10, 2002
      > Is it like 'Big Line Of Garbage' or something equally descriptive.
      >
      > hrs

      LOL! Well it can be sometimes! A blog is a web-based journal. Blogs
      originally started out as web logs, lists of urls that the web log owner thought
      were interesting or informative. Web log morphed into weblog and shortened to
      blog and people started putting more description about the links and then
      started adding commentary and journal type stuff, comments about their lives and
      so on.

      www.Blogger.com is one of the best free online blogging websites, it's easy to
      sign up for a blog there, doesn't take html knowledge but it can also be
      completely customized.

      I'm using MovableType from the www.movabletype.org, blogging script that you can
      install and run on your own website for free. I have two blogs, one is my
      personal ramblings:

      http://coda.populli.org/

      and the other is TV show reviews by my brother and me:

      http://idiotbox.populli.org/

      and we do movie reviews here:

      http://bigscreen.populli.org/

      and then I also use it for posting news and updates about the domain where I
      host other people's websites, so oops, I guess I have four of them, not two! :-)
      Blogs are good for managing website content, for quickly updating without having
      to edit an html page and can be used by one person or a team of people and html
      experience is not required.

      Some blogs are boring, some are fascinating and well written, some are
      political, some are rude, it just depends. Some journalists are using blogs to
      post up to the minute news reports. You can surf thru www.blogger.com and see a
      bunch of blogs and there's also a good index of blogs here:

      http://www.globeofblogs.com/

      And check out their webrings page for links to more blogs of different types.

      alice ttlg

      Coda: http://coda.populli.org/
      Idiot Box: http://idiotbox.populli.org/
      --
      He hasn't an enemy in the world, and none of his friends like him.
      - Oscar Wilde about George Bernard Shaw
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 10, 2002
        Acronym finder has:
        BLOG Web Log

        which I guess should be interpreted as: "weB LOG"
        I like: 'Big Line Of Garbage' better though.

        --
        Regards ... Alec

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 18, 2002
            Lotta:
            I've finally almost made the transition to Win2K so I'm trying to re-tackle
            Multizilla (the tabbed interface and the googlebox). When I try to install
            (using the install.js script which seems to be used by both) I reencounter
            the Microsoft Jscript error I received a couple of weeks ago on my Win98
            system.

            "Syntax error" at line 29 char 1 code 800A03EA
            Microsoft JScript compilation error
            from install.js in "multiviews-v1128.xpi"
            <<

            Is there an alternate javascript I should be using other than the one I've
            got by installing Win2K? (from SUN(?)). Any ideas (or a URL to download
            from)?

            Anyone .... ?

            Regards ... Alec
            --

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 18, 2002
              > Is there an alternate javascript I should be using other than
              > the one I've got by installing Win2K? (from SUN(?)). Any
              > ideas (or a URL to download from)?

              Javascript, or as Microsoft calls it Jscript, is not Java.
              Javascript was developed by Netscape and is a scripting
              language for browsers. Java is a separate programming language
              developed by Sun. Java can run as an applet inside the browser,
              or via a "virtual machine".

              Your problem with Mozilla can presumably only be fixed by a
              browser upgrade, or its the fault of the Google script. Ask the
              Google folks first.

              Btw, to confuse matters more, Javascript or Jscript, also run
              under the name of Ecmascript, which is the official generic
              name for the standardized language.

              Marcus