Re: [NTO] Mozilla (was [NH])

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 10, 2002
      > alice ttlg wrote:
      >
      > for me it's a group of blogs that I read regularly,
      >
      > alice ttlg

      Alice,

      Question, I seen the acronym 'blog' a few times, but, living the
      sheltered life that I do, I really don't know what it means.

      Is it like 'Big Line Of Garbage' or something equally descriptive.

      hrs
    • alice ttlg
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 10, 2002
        > Is it like 'Big Line Of Garbage' or something equally descriptive.
        >
        > hrs

        LOL! Well it can be sometimes! A blog is a web-based journal. Blogs
        originally started out as web logs, lists of urls that the web log owner thought
        were interesting or informative. Web log morphed into weblog and shortened to
        blog and people started putting more description about the links and then
        started adding commentary and journal type stuff, comments about their lives and
        so on.

        www.Blogger.com is one of the best free online blogging websites, it's easy to
        sign up for a blog there, doesn't take html knowledge but it can also be
        completely customized.

        I'm using MovableType from the www.movabletype.org, blogging script that you can
        install and run on your own website for free. I have two blogs, one is my
        personal ramblings:

        http://coda.populli.org/

        and the other is TV show reviews by my brother and me:

        http://idiotbox.populli.org/

        and we do movie reviews here:

        http://bigscreen.populli.org/

        and then I also use it for posting news and updates about the domain where I
        host other people's websites, so oops, I guess I have four of them, not two! :-)
        Blogs are good for managing website content, for quickly updating without having
        to edit an html page and can be used by one person or a team of people and html
        experience is not required.

        Some blogs are boring, some are fascinating and well written, some are
        political, some are rude, it just depends. Some journalists are using blogs to
        post up to the minute news reports. You can surf thru www.blogger.com and see a
        bunch of blogs and there's also a good index of blogs here:

        http://www.globeofblogs.com/

        And check out their webrings page for links to more blogs of different types.

        alice ttlg

        Coda: http://coda.populli.org/
        Idiot Box: http://idiotbox.populli.org/
        --
        He hasn't an enemy in the world, and none of his friends like him.
        - Oscar Wilde about George Bernard Shaw
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 10, 2002
          Acronym finder has:
          BLOG Web Log

          which I guess should be interpreted as: "weB LOG"
          I like: 'Big Line Of Garbage' better though.

          --
          Regards ... Alec

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 18, 2002
              Lotta:
              I've finally almost made the transition to Win2K so I'm trying to re-tackle
              Multizilla (the tabbed interface and the googlebox). When I try to install
              (using the install.js script which seems to be used by both) I reencounter
              the Microsoft Jscript error I received a couple of weeks ago on my Win98
              system.

              "Syntax error" at line 29 char 1 code 800A03EA
              Microsoft JScript compilation error
              from install.js in "multiviews-v1128.xpi"
              <<

              Is there an alternate javascript I should be using other than the one I've
              got by installing Win2K? (from SUN(?)). Any ideas (or a URL to download
              from)?

              Anyone .... ?

              Regards ... Alec
              --

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 18, 2002
                > Is there an alternate javascript I should be using other than
                > the one I've got by installing Win2K? (from SUN(?)). Any
                > ideas (or a URL to download from)?

                Javascript, or as Microsoft calls it Jscript, is not Java.
                Javascript was developed by Netscape and is a scripting
                language for browsers. Java is a separate programming language
                developed by Sun. Java can run as an applet inside the browser,
                or via a "virtual machine".

                Your problem with Mozilla can presumably only be fixed by a
                browser upgrade, or its the fault of the Google script. Ask the
                Google folks first.

                Btw, to confuse matters more, Javascript or Jscript, also run
                under the name of Ecmascript, which is the official generic
                name for the standardized language.

                Marcus