Re: [NTO] Safe to Delete?

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 8, 2002
      AFAIK: If you still have that folder you could roll-back from IE6 (by
      selecting it in Add/Remove programs) and restore IE5.5. If you are never
      going to do that (you're happy with IE6 and the way it functions) its
      probably safe to delete it. You might want to hang on for a day or two
      in case soemone weighs in with a contrary opinion, but that's my
      understanding. As they say: YMMV

      --
      Regards ... Alec

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 2002
        Thanks for the reply, Alex.

        I will probably never want to restore IE5.5. I'd like to delete the folder,
        but I'd like to hear from someone who knows whether it is safe or I'd like a
        URL to a website where I can read about the folder on my computer called
        "Windows Update Setup Files".

        Thanks in advance,

        Ray Shapp
        Watchung, NJ
      • Peter G Henry

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 8, 2002
            Peter H. said>>> that folder is a notice which says that the folder is safe
            to delete<<<<<

            I included that info in my original question.

            hrs said>>>>> why not rename the folder<<<<

            Of course, that's what I will do.

            My hope was that someone here was actually familiar with this folder. It
            looks like a standard remnant one gets when one downloads IE5.5 from
            Microsoft.

            Thanks for the help.

            Ray Shapp
            Watchung, NJ
          • Greg Chapman
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 9, 2002
              Hi Ray,

              > My hope was that someone here was actually familiar with this folder. It
              > looks like a standard remnant one gets when one downloads IE5.5 from
              > Microsoft.

              One of those folders arrived on my machine after I visited the Windows
              Update site and installed the SP2 service pack to MSIE v5.5.

              I would take the message in the folder at its word. I didn't respond
              earlier as I have never deleted it as such. I did have a major crash and,
              after use of the recovery disk which came with my laptop, it was gone. It
              reappeared after a further visit to the update site.

              Greg
            • Ray Shapp
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 9, 2002
                Thanks, Greg. Just the info I was looking for!

                Ray Shapp
                Watchung, NJ