Re: [NTO] app running in bkgrd

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 4, 2002
      Ed:

      The one I use is TaskInfo2002 here: http://www.iarsn.com/ (freeware or
      at least nag-free)

      I have it run at startup so I can see each task as it begins. It is
      invaluable.
      Note: the most recent version has the ability to be run as a "service".
      I'm not positive exactly what this means technically, but basically it
      starts even earlier in the boot process (right after Explorer itself
      starts I think). It takes a little bit longer before its window is
      displayed but can help you spot things you don't recognize, if
      previously the system was running well, and something has happened to
      make it misbehave.

      It also gives you something to look at while you wait for everything to
      get going ;-)

      --
      Regards ... Alec

      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 5, 2002
        FYI ed

        I pretty sure that Ultima Shell is the standalone version of UAS the
        auto text completion program. If you see a little red box with a lamp on
        it in the sysTray that's Ultima Shell. Like most "honest" programs it
        has a check box in its options box to prevent it from loading at
        startup.

        The problem with stopping things from starting with MSconfig, is that if
        you have the option set to run at Startup, and then invoke it someother
        way it may be coded to replace the startup shortcut or registry entry.

        If possible, look for this "authorized" way to prevent a program from

        Regards ... Alec

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 5, 2002
          Ed,

          You can get a good Processes Viewer, ** FREE **, at
          <http://www.xmlsp.com/pview/prcview.htm>

          It is compatible with WIN9x through XP, version 3.7.2.4. It
          is a 100 KB download (in ZIP format).

          Try it out. Sorry for not including the link in earlier
          post.

          Regards,
          Christopher J. Spilker
          mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 5, 2002
            Alec Burgess wrote:
            > Ed:
            >
            > The one I use is TaskInfo2002 here: http://www.iarsn.com/ (freeware or
            > at least nag-free)
            >
            > I have it run at startup so I can see each task as it begins. It is
            > invaluable.
            > Note: the most recent version has the ability to be run as a "service".
            > I'm not positive exactly what this means technically,

            Alec,

            A service is a program that runs automatically and requires no user
            intervention. This is the way Win NT/2k/XP handle a lot of programs. For
            example, a database program that needs to be running for the program that it
            goes with is run as a service, so the user does not have to start the
            database manually before using the program. In the Unix/Linux OSes this is
            called a daemon.

            Larry
          • Joe Braly
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 2, 2002
              Ed Brown wrote:

              > Hi everyone,
              > I have something strange going on, and I have run virus checks and received
              > a no viruses present message. (Snip)
              >
              > Yet this program is running in the background, I have used the ctrl, alt,
              > delete button and nothing is listed there beyond the usual programs running
              > in the background, PowerChute (battery power supply that saves all programs
              > that are open and then shuts the computer off in case of power loss) Norton
              > Program Scheduler, and that only operates in the early morning hours,
              > ZoneAlarm free version, and thats all. Yet something freezes up my cursor
              > freezes up at times and refuses to budge, although any letters in a word
              > that I type while it is not working will suddenly appear when it starts
              > working again. Sometimes I cannot use the backspace but suddenly it will
              > start to operate and then backspaces as many times as I had previously hit
              > the key. All in all it acts like an extremely busy computer, but it should
              > not be as nothing that I can find is really running. Yet something must be
              > running somewhere in the background. Got any ideas?

              I have much the same problem, except I have difference programs running in
              Systray.
              The difference is after a spell, the system lockup and when I do a Ctrl, alt,
              delete - msgsrv32
              is shown as not responding. I can do a End Task and all the problems go away
              and speed is
              greatly increased. System works fine until reboot. Also, while msgsrv32 is
              running, I have
              almost constant transmission over the internet. None after the task has been
              ended. I have
              tried to remove this file so it would not startup at boot, but have not been
              able too.
              Also, prior to the system stopping, ctrl, alt, delete, does not show msgsrv32
              in the list.

              I downloaded Ad-aware to check for spyware ( found 14 ) and msgsrv32 was listed
              as a component.
              Not sure how the term component is used, but msgsrv32 was not removed from the
              system. The 14 files
              of spyware were removed.

              I am running Win 98..

              Any one know how to get rid of msgsrv32.exe. The file is located under Window;
              System.

              Thanks
              Joe
            • Jim Hall
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 2, 2002
                Joe,

                Just some ideas for you.
                Hope they give you some ideas that work out.

                Regards,

                Jim

                At 09:06 AM 11/2/2002 -0600, you wrote:

                >Any one know how to get rid of msgsrv32.exe. The file is located under Window;
                >System.

                That is not really a good plan - Here is why.

                Function of the Windows 32-Bit Message Server
                ID: Q138708

                msgsrv32.exe is a program that runs invisibly on the Windows desktop and performs several background functions necessary for Windows operation. These functions include:

                · Mediate Plug and Play messages among various parts of the operating system.

                · Coordinate automatic responses to Setup programs. This includes checking whether a Setup program has improperly overwritten Windows files, and optionally restoring the Windows versions of those files.

                · Display the initial logon dialog box if networking is enabled.

                · Play the system startup and shutdown sounds.

                · Load installable Windows drivers at startup and unload them at shutdown.

                · Run the shell program (usually Explorer.exe) and re-run the shell if it fails to respond.

                BTW

                A couple of things you might try is to temporarily disable any screensaver you have running and disable your Advanced Power Managment.

                When your computer is idle for a period of time and then stops responding (hangs), the Close Program dialog box may report that msgsrv32.exe is not responding.

                CAUSE
                This behavior can occur when power management is enabled, and you have issues with programs not responding correctly to power management commands, for example, screen saver programs.

                RESOLUTION
                To work around this behavior, use the following steps:
                Quit any running programs, and then test to determine if a specific program is causing this behavior. If you quit all running programs and the issue is resolved, one of the programs that was running is the cause of this behavior. If this does not resolve the issue, continue to step 2.

                NOTE: This issue is often caused by screen saver programs.

                Disable power management. To do so, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Power.

                In the Power Management box, click Off (or click the "Allow windows to manage power on this computer" check box to clear it).

                Click OK.

                Restart your computer.

                If the behavior continues to occur, follow these additional steps:

                In Control Panel, double-click System.

                On the Device Manager tab, double-click the System Devices branch to expand it.

                Double-click Advanced Power Management Support.

                On the Settings tab, click the Enable Power Management Support check box to clear it, and then click OK.

                Click OK.

                Restart your computer when you are prompted to do so.

              • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 2, 2002
                  Joe Braly,

                  This response is in regards to a service, MSGSRV32.EXE,
                  running, as you say, "in the backround." I have had some
                  experience with this and researched its functionality. First, it
                  should ALWAYS be running. Second, it should NOT be interfering
                  with anything on your computer and should not be using anything
                  but a MINUTE amount system resources.

                  MSGSRV32.EXE is used at boot-up and shutdown times to
                  perform hardware checks for the most part. It is a necessary
                  component for Windows 95, 98 and 98SE (uncertain about other
                  flavors of Windows) to run. I once worked on acomputer that
                  MSGSRV32.EXE complained on shutdown, every time. It was failing
                  a call to a Creative Technologies Sound Blaster PnP file. I
                  renamed the file, the sound card still worked fine and the
                  computer went back to a normal shutdown. If MSGSRV32.EXE errors
                  on your computer, look at what it says is complaining TO it (by
                  clicking on DETAILS). That is a significant piece of information
                  you need to ascertain. I have no idea why this particular Sound
                  Blaster file was being called to by MSGSRV32.EXE. It was not my
                  computer, I was fixing someone else's.

                  On the very same computer, I must add, the wrong amount of
                  RAM was being detected at boot up. That turned out to be a
                  reseat of the RAM memory module. I still wonder if that played a
                  role in the above matter. I understand that RAM failures are 1)
                  hard to detect and 2) can cause all sorts of very strange
                  anomalies.

                  I also saw this description on the web:

                  MSGSRV32.EXE is a Windows 32-bit VxD Message Server. For
                  more information on its function and why it's needed, see here
                  {MS Knowledge Base article below}. Note - why some people have it
                  listed in start-up programs I don't know but I was asked to
                  include it here. It automatically runs in the background.

                  Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q138708
                  Function of the Windows 32-Bit Message Server
                  Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
                  Microsoft Windows 98
                  Microsoft Windows 95

                  SUMMARY

                  This article describes the purpose of the Windows 32-bit message
                  server (Msgsrv32.exe).

                  MORE INFORMATION

                  Msgsrv32.exe is a program that runs invisibly on the Windows
                  desktop and performs several background functions necessary for
                  Windows operation. These functions include:

                  Mediate Plug and Play messages among various parts of the
                  operating system.
                  Coordinate automatic responses to Setup programs. This includes
                  checking whether a Setup program has improperly overwritten
                  Windows files, and optionally restoring the Windows versions of
                  those files.
                  Display the initial logon dialog box if networking is enabled.
                  Play the system startup and shutdown sounds.
                  Load installable Windows drivers at startup and unload them at
                  shutdown.
                  Run the shell program (usually Explorer.exe) and re-run the shell
                  if it fails to respond.

                  I hope this is of some help to you. Let us know if you
                  indeed find the underlying cause. Good luck.

                  Kind regards,
                  Christopher J. Spilker
                  mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
                • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 2, 2002
                    Joe,

                    I see Jim Hall beat me to the punch regarding MSGSRV32.EXE.
                    :-)

                    Kind regards,
                    Christopher J. Spilker
                    mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
                  • future.com@vsnl.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 2, 2002
                      Just make sure you are not talking about msgsvr32.exe (and not msvsrv32.exe)

                      The two names are so similer that an error is possible.

                      msgsvr32.exe ia trojan

                      you can get the solution for removing it by seareching on the net

                      Srish Agrawal