app running in bkgrd

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 4, 2002
      Hi everyone,
      I have something strange going on, and I have run virus checks and received
      a no viruses present message. I am running Norton's and it stopped a
      Bugbear virus and deleted it last night.

      Yet this program is running in the background, I have used the ctrl, alt,
      delete button and nothing is listed there beyond the usual programs running
      in the background, PowerChute (battery power supply that saves all programs
      that are open and then shuts the computer off in case of power loss) Norton
      Program Scheduler, and that only operates in the early morning hours,
      ZoneAlarm free version, and thats all. Yet something freezes up my cursor
      freezes up at times and refuses to budge, although any letters in a word
      that I type while it is not working will suddenly appear when it starts
      working again. Sometimes I cannot use the backspace but suddenly it will
      start to operate and then backspaces as many times as I had previously hit
      the key. All in all it acts like an extremely busy computer, but it should
      not be as nothing that I can find is really running. Yet something must be
      running somewhere in the background. Got any ideas?
      Ed
      edbrown@...
      I look this way because I've traveled a long way and some of the
      roads weren't paved.
    • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 4, 2002
        Ed,

        RE: I have something strange going on, and I have run virus
        checks and received
        a no viruses present message. I am running Norton's and it
        stopped a
        Bugbear virus and deleted it last night.

        My two cents:

        Are you using a wireless mouse? If so, is the battery
        strong? If you are using a regular (wired) mouse, is its cable
        running alongside other cables, especially power transformer
        wiring (such as those small brick-type power supplies)?

        Are you running any type of speech recognition program?
        Maybe you do not realize it is running?

        Nearly a year ago, I remember someone from another list
        describing this exact trouble and it turned out to be their
        speech recognition program was running without realizing it!
        Once they turned it off, their trouble stopped.

        Also, what operating system are you using? Not all running
        tasks are listed in the CTRL+ALT+DEL box. For WIN 9x and ME
        systems, you would need a Processes Viewer program to really see
        what is running. For WINNT, 2000 and XP, the CTRL+ALT+DEL
        windows should have a tab that shows all running processes. Look
        for an obscure one that you can not recognize.

        I hope this may be of some help to you. You sure have an
        odd ball trouble.

        If you find it, please let us know! Thank you.

        Regards,
        Christopher J. Spilker
        mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
      • Julie
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 4, 2002
          For Win98 and I *think* ME, go to Start|Run type msconfig, click on the
          last tab and you can see all the processes that start up when the computer
          boots.

          Julie
        • Ed Brown
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 4, 2002
            Not all running
            tasks are listed in the CTRL+ALT+DEL box. For WIN 9x and ME
            systems, you would need a Processes Viewer program to really see
            what is running. I hope this may be of some help to you. You sure have an
            odd ball trouble.If you find it, please let us know! Thank you.
            Regards,
            Christopher J. Spilker

            Christopher,
            I took a few liberties with your answer, but I think you hit the nail on the
            head.
            I think this is the problem. I am running ME. What is a processes viewer
            and how do I get one.
            Ed
          • Ed Brown
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 4, 2002
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 4, 2002
                > Ed Brown wrote:
                >

                > You're right, but I had been there already and closed
                > everything out, but some how one slipped back on. Something
                > called "Ultima Shell." I am not sure that was what was
                > causing my problem but I removed it from the start up group.
                > I have only 7 programs running on start up and none of them
                > should do this. They did not previously have anything to do with
                > the problem as they have been running for months. I will see what
                > will happen now that Ultima Shell is out. I do not what program
                > it is associated with, but it no longer runs on start-up.
                >
                > Thanks
                > Ed

                Ed,

                UltimaShell is a program recently supported by NoteTab. It works
                similarly to the Auto-Text feature in word processors.

                I think a bunch of us probably downloaded it. I use it only in
                conjunction with NoteTab Pro and it works pretty well.

                It isn't loaded on boot and is only active (the way I have it
                configured) when I'm using NTP. If you have it associated with NoteTab
                there are entries added under Tools on NoteTab's toolbar to set options
                and to shut it down.

                hrs
              • Ray Shapp
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 4, 2002
                  Hi Ed,

                  For process viewer, try>>>
                  http://www.teamcti.com/pview/prcview.htm

                  For managing what starts during boot-up for normal operations and for special
                  runs, try Startup Cop. Get it here>>>

                  HTH

                  Ray Shapp
                  Watchung, NJ
                • Alec Burgess
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 4, 2002
                    Ed:

                    The one I use is TaskInfo2002 here: http://www.iarsn.com/ (freeware or
                    at least nag-free)

                    I have it run at startup so I can see each task as it begins. It is
                    invaluable.
                    Note: the most recent version has the ability to be run as a "service".
                    I'm not positive exactly what this means technically, but basically it
                    starts even earlier in the boot process (right after Explorer itself
                    starts I think). It takes a little bit longer before its window is
                    displayed but can help you spot things you don't recognize, if
                    previously the system was running well, and something has happened to
                    make it misbehave.

                    It also gives you something to look at while you wait for everything to
                    get going ;-)

                    --
                    Regards ... Alec

                    > tasks are listed in the CTRL+ALT+DEL box. For WIN 9x and ME
                    > systems, you would need a Processes Viewer program to really see
                    > what is running. I hope this may be of some help to you. You sure
                    > have an odd ball trouble.If you find it, please let us know! Thank
                    > you. Regards,
                    > Christopher J. Spilker
                    >
                    > Christopher,
                    > I took a few liberties with your answer, but I think you hit the nail
                    > on the head.
                    > I think this is the problem. I am running ME. What is a processes
                    > viewer and how do I get one.
                    > Ed

                  • Alec Burgess
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 5, 2002
                      FYI ed

                      I pretty sure that Ultima Shell is the standalone version of UAS the
                      auto text completion program. If you see a little red box with a lamp on
                      it in the sysTray that's Ultima Shell. Like most "honest" programs it
                      has a check box in its options box to prevent it from loading at
                      startup.

                      The problem with stopping things from starting with MSconfig, is that if
                      you have the option set to run at Startup, and then invoke it someother
                      way it may be coded to replace the startup shortcut or registry entry.

                      If possible, look for this "authorized" way to prevent a program from

                      Regards ... Alec

                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 5, 2002
                        Ed,

                        You can get a good Processes Viewer, ** FREE **, at
                        <http://www.xmlsp.com/pview/prcview.htm>

                        It is compatible with WIN9x through XP, version 3.7.2.4. It
                        is a 100 KB download (in ZIP format).

                        Try it out. Sorry for not including the link in earlier
                        post.

                        Regards,
                        Christopher J. Spilker
                        mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
                      • Larry Hamilton
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 5, 2002
                          Alec Burgess wrote:
                          > Ed:
                          >
                          > The one I use is TaskInfo2002 here: http://www.iarsn.com/ (freeware or
                          > at least nag-free)
                          >
                          > I have it run at startup so I can see each task as it begins. It is
                          > invaluable.
                          > Note: the most recent version has the ability to be run as a "service".
                          > I'm not positive exactly what this means technically,

                          Alec,

                          A service is a program that runs automatically and requires no user
                          intervention. This is the way Win NT/2k/XP handle a lot of programs. For
                          example, a database program that needs to be running for the program that it
                          goes with is run as a service, so the user does not have to start the
                          database manually before using the program. In the Unix/Linux OSes this is
                          called a daemon.

                          Larry
                        • Joe Braly
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 2, 2002
                            Ed Brown wrote:

                            > Hi everyone,
                            > I have something strange going on, and I have run virus checks and received
                            > a no viruses present message. (Snip)
                            >
                            > Yet this program is running in the background, I have used the ctrl, alt,
                            > delete button and nothing is listed there beyond the usual programs running
                            > in the background, PowerChute (battery power supply that saves all programs
                            > that are open and then shuts the computer off in case of power loss) Norton
                            > Program Scheduler, and that only operates in the early morning hours,
                            > ZoneAlarm free version, and thats all. Yet something freezes up my cursor
                            > freezes up at times and refuses to budge, although any letters in a word
                            > that I type while it is not working will suddenly appear when it starts
                            > working again. Sometimes I cannot use the backspace but suddenly it will
                            > start to operate and then backspaces as many times as I had previously hit
                            > the key. All in all it acts like an extremely busy computer, but it should
                            > not be as nothing that I can find is really running. Yet something must be
                            > running somewhere in the background. Got any ideas?

                            I have much the same problem, except I have difference programs running in
                            Systray.
                            The difference is after a spell, the system lockup and when I do a Ctrl, alt,
                            delete - msgsrv32
                            is shown as not responding. I can do a End Task and all the problems go away
                            and speed is
                            greatly increased. System works fine until reboot. Also, while msgsrv32 is
                            running, I have
                            almost constant transmission over the internet. None after the task has been
                            ended. I have
                            tried to remove this file so it would not startup at boot, but have not been
                            able too.
                            Also, prior to the system stopping, ctrl, alt, delete, does not show msgsrv32
                            in the list.

                            I downloaded Ad-aware to check for spyware ( found 14 ) and msgsrv32 was listed
                            as a component.
                            Not sure how the term component is used, but msgsrv32 was not removed from the
                            system. The 14 files
                            of spyware were removed.

                            I am running Win 98..

                            Any one know how to get rid of msgsrv32.exe. The file is located under Window;
                            System.

                            Thanks
                            Joe
                          • Jim Hall
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 2, 2002
                              Joe,

                              Just some ideas for you.
                              Hope they give you some ideas that work out.

                              Regards,

                              Jim

                              At 09:06 AM 11/2/2002 -0600, you wrote:

                              >Any one know how to get rid of msgsrv32.exe. The file is located under Window;
                              >System.

                              That is not really a good plan - Here is why.

                              Function of the Windows 32-Bit Message Server
                              ID: Q138708

                              msgsrv32.exe is a program that runs invisibly on the Windows desktop and performs several background functions necessary for Windows operation. These functions include:

                              · Mediate Plug and Play messages among various parts of the operating system.

                              · Coordinate automatic responses to Setup programs. This includes checking whether a Setup program has improperly overwritten Windows files, and optionally restoring the Windows versions of those files.

                              · Display the initial logon dialog box if networking is enabled.

                              · Play the system startup and shutdown sounds.

                              · Load installable Windows drivers at startup and unload them at shutdown.

                              · Run the shell program (usually Explorer.exe) and re-run the shell if it fails to respond.

                              BTW

                              A couple of things you might try is to temporarily disable any screensaver you have running and disable your Advanced Power Managment.

                              When your computer is idle for a period of time and then stops responding (hangs), the Close Program dialog box may report that msgsrv32.exe is not responding.

                              CAUSE
                              This behavior can occur when power management is enabled, and you have issues with programs not responding correctly to power management commands, for example, screen saver programs.

                              RESOLUTION
                              To work around this behavior, use the following steps:
                              Quit any running programs, and then test to determine if a specific program is causing this behavior. If you quit all running programs and the issue is resolved, one of the programs that was running is the cause of this behavior. If this does not resolve the issue, continue to step 2.

                              NOTE: This issue is often caused by screen saver programs.

                              Disable power management. To do so, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Power.

                              In the Power Management box, click Off (or click the "Allow windows to manage power on this computer" check box to clear it).

                              Click OK.

                              Restart your computer.

                              If the behavior continues to occur, follow these additional steps:

                              In Control Panel, double-click System.

                              On the Device Manager tab, double-click the System Devices branch to expand it.

                              Double-click Advanced Power Management Support.

                              On the Settings tab, click the Enable Power Management Support check box to clear it, and then click OK.

                              Click OK.

                              Restart your computer when you are prompted to do so.

                            • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 2, 2002
                                Joe Braly,

                                This response is in regards to a service, MSGSRV32.EXE,
                                running, as you say, "in the backround." I have had some
                                experience with this and researched its functionality. First, it
                                should ALWAYS be running. Second, it should NOT be interfering
                                with anything on your computer and should not be using anything
                                but a MINUTE amount system resources.

                                MSGSRV32.EXE is used at boot-up and shutdown times to
                                perform hardware checks for the most part. It is a necessary
                                component for Windows 95, 98 and 98SE (uncertain about other
                                flavors of Windows) to run. I once worked on acomputer that
                                MSGSRV32.EXE complained on shutdown, every time. It was failing
                                a call to a Creative Technologies Sound Blaster PnP file. I
                                renamed the file, the sound card still worked fine and the
                                computer went back to a normal shutdown. If MSGSRV32.EXE errors
                                on your computer, look at what it says is complaining TO it (by
                                clicking on DETAILS). That is a significant piece of information
                                you need to ascertain. I have no idea why this particular Sound
                                Blaster file was being called to by MSGSRV32.EXE. It was not my
                                computer, I was fixing someone else's.

                                On the very same computer, I must add, the wrong amount of
                                RAM was being detected at boot up. That turned out to be a
                                reseat of the RAM memory module. I still wonder if that played a
                                role in the above matter. I understand that RAM failures are 1)
                                hard to detect and 2) can cause all sorts of very strange
                                anomalies.

                                I also saw this description on the web:

                                MSGSRV32.EXE is a Windows 32-bit VxD Message Server. For
                                more information on its function and why it's needed, see here
                                {MS Knowledge Base article below}. Note - why some people have it
                                listed in start-up programs I don't know but I was asked to
                                include it here. It automatically runs in the background.

                                Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q138708
                                Function of the Windows 32-Bit Message Server
                                Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
                                Microsoft Windows 98
                                Microsoft Windows 95

                                SUMMARY

                                This article describes the purpose of the Windows 32-bit message
                                server (Msgsrv32.exe).

                                MORE INFORMATION

                                Msgsrv32.exe is a program that runs invisibly on the Windows
                                desktop and performs several background functions necessary for
                                Windows operation. These functions include:

                                Mediate Plug and Play messages among various parts of the
                                operating system.
                                Coordinate automatic responses to Setup programs. This includes
                                checking whether a Setup program has improperly overwritten
                                Windows files, and optionally restoring the Windows versions of
                                those files.
                                Display the initial logon dialog box if networking is enabled.
                                Play the system startup and shutdown sounds.
                                Load installable Windows drivers at startup and unload them at
                                shutdown.
                                Run the shell program (usually Explorer.exe) and re-run the shell
                                if it fails to respond.

                                I hope this is of some help to you. Let us know if you
                                indeed find the underlying cause. Good luck.

                                Kind regards,
                                Christopher J. Spilker
                                mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
                              • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 2, 2002
                                  Joe,

                                  I see Jim Hall beat me to the punch regarding MSGSRV32.EXE.
                                  :-)

                                  Kind regards,
                                  Christopher J. Spilker
                                  mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
                                • future.com@vsnl.com
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 2, 2002
                                    Just make sure you are not talking about msgsvr32.exe (and not msvsrv32.exe)

                                    The two names are so similer that an error is possible.

                                    msgsvr32.exe ia trojan

                                    you can get the solution for removing it by seareching on the net

                                    Srish Agrawal