Re: [NTO] Printer recommendations

  • bscott@stockdogsaction.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 2002
      Hi All:

      My xerox printer just bit the bullet can anyone recommend a
      business printer small contruction business maybe 50 pages a day
      . The xerox is workcentre 480cx but I have never liked it .... to
      expensive to use ... but it scans and copy's and prints ... I am
      thinking of buying a lazer printer but have no experience I have
      always had good luck with Epsom ...

      thanks

      Bill scott
    • Len
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 26, 2002
        Hi Bill;

        Consumer Reports recently rated the Canon BubbleJet MultiFunction
        MultiPass F30/F50 as significantly better than the equivalent
        HP and Lexmark units.

        Len

        At 09:22 AM 9/26/02 -0700, you wrote:
        >Hi All:
        >
        >My xerox printer just bit the bullet can anyone recommend a
        >business printer small contruction business maybe 50 pages a day
        >. The xerox is workcentre 480cx but I have never liked it .... to
        >expensive to use ... but it scans and copy's and prints ... I am
        >thinking of buying a lazer printer but have no experience I have
        >always had good luck with Epsom ...
        >
        >thanks
        >
        >Bill scott
      • DA
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 26, 2002
          Hi Bill,

          For what it's worth, here's my opinion:

          For business applications I've found that a laser printer probably
          is your best bet, if you don't need color. Many of the ink jet inks
          smear and run if they get damp or wet and have poor archival qualities.
          If you get an ink jet make sure that there is provision for reversing
          the sheet output order or you will find yourself manually resorting
          the pages to get the proper order. The ink cartridges will put you
          in the poor house too. I've had good luck with both HP LaserJets and
          Lexmark laser printers. I've never tried the Epson laser printers,
          but I do use one of their ink jets just for photo printing.

          DA

          > My xerox printer just bit the bullet can anyone recommend a
          > business printer small contruction business maybe 50 pages a day
          > . The xerox is workcentre 480cx but I have never liked it .... to
          > expensive to use ... but it scans and copy's and prints ... I am
          > thinking of buying a lazer printer but have no experience I have
          > always had good luck with Epsom ...
        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 26, 2002
            Bill,

            I recommend that you avoid inkjet printers if you will do a lot of printing.
            I have two Lexmark printers at home because the old printer that I got with
            my old PC is not compatible with WinXP. The new one goes through a ton of
            ink. I have one that has both black and color cartridges, but unlike the old
            printer if the black runs out, I cannot easily make the remaining cartridge
            do the work until I get a replacement. I have spent more on ink in the 11
            months I have had this printer than its original list price!

            I know that laser and laserjet printers will run and run on one ink
            cartridge. If you need color, it costs more, but the ink is less expensive
            per page than with inkjets.

            My experience at work is with HP and Lexmark printers, mostly HP.

            HTH,

            Larry

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 30, 2002
              Thanks Larry ....

              that has been our experience with inkjet printers too ....the brother
              printer allows you to just change the black so we will see...

              Bill