Re: [NTO] Off-Topic list requires sign-in

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 12, 2002
      Have a look at either or both of Mailcall (from PCMag) or MailWasher
      (both free)

      They allow you to specify "rules" similar to those that can be used in
      OE or theBat and other e-mail clients, but independant of them. You can
      either have them delete messages while they are still on the server,
      before they ever even get to your e-mail client, or look at them sorted
      by "being spam" likelihood and delete them youself en-bloc, again
      without OE or Outlook or theBat or whatever ... having to ever see them.

      I use MailCall to sound an audible alert when I receive mail that has
      either "alec" or "burgess" in them so if I'm reading other mail in OE I
      know its worthwhile clicking Send-Receive and then letting my OE-rules
      sort the incoming into separate in-boxes.

      I don't get much spam (maybe as Alice suggests because my ISP aci.on.ca
      is less likely to get targeted by "name harvesters") but either way the
      above two programs can provide a useful service.

      Regards ... Alec

      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 12, 2002
        Hi Ray,

        http://eremover.bizhosting.com/contents/download.htm

        I notice that v3.0 is released and still freeware. It appears
        that there might be a "Pro" version coming by reading between the
        lines; there is a beta version with temporary key. I still have
        a copy of v2.4 to fall back on should I not like v3.0.

        In short, it connects to your mail server and downloads the
        header and some text of the message. The amount of text in the
        message is configurable. You just click on the messages that you
        do not want to download and they are deleted from the server.
        Most SPAM can be recognized just by the Subject. The Subject is
        what you see in eRemover; double click to see the other
        information mentioned above.

        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 13, 2002
          Hi Cindy and Others,

          I like it set up so that viewing the messages is public and
          sending is for members only. I don't want to have to force
          'Tabbers to sign up for every list to find out if they do or do
          not want to be on it or just to browse the messages for whatever.
          Anybody can sign up for the lists and get eMail addresses
          delivered to them if they want them bad enough.

          The addresses are truncated as mentioned on the web which has
          been discussed. The bots that harvest addresses will do just
          that when able to do it and folks like me with common domains
          (like the looking glass lady mentioned ;) are going to get it one
          way or the other anyway. @... Sooner or later I
          venture to say that your most protected eMail addie will get
          SPAMmed, and once it does, after a bit longer, that's about all
          she wrote.

          >This is what I'm saying .. If this is on PUBLIC ARCHIVES and we
          >reply this way .. look at how many addresses they can grab just
          >from this letter. I know the two addresses in here aren't much,
          >but it adds up. :-)

        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 13, 2002
            Hi Ray,

            > >What does that mean and how does one do it?

            You can do it by TELNETing to your POP3 server and logging in through a DOS
            style interface. The necessary tools come with Windows, but it's a pain!

            I usually use a web-based service like: http://www.mail2web.com which
            allows me to create a customised entry page where I can pick up and send
            mail from several different mail accounts at several ISPs.

            However, you can use programs specifically designed for the purpose, as Jody
            has suggested.

            I have tried POPCORN. It's freeware! Below is the first section of the
            README file. I got the package popsetup.exe from a magazine cover disk. At
            176kb, it is, indeed, "an ultra-lightweight POP3/SMTP e-mail client", but it
            does more than the job I wanted it to do.

            Greg

            Ultrafunk Popcorn POP3/SMTP e-mail client README.TXT

            Release information:
            --------------------
            Release date : 03-Apr-2002
            Version : Popcorn release 1.20
            Author : Ultrafunk
            Web : http://www.ultrafunk.com
            Product page : http://www.ultrafunk.com/products/popcorn/

            IMPORTANT NOTICE!
            -----------------
            All future Popcorn development has been permanently discontinued.
            Release 1.20 is the last official build that will be made available for
            the general public, it is based on the latest stable 1.20 beta that was
            under development. The program will still be available for download in
            the foreseeable future. All support questions, feature requests and bug
            reports will be ignored, as will all requests regarding releasing the
            source code.

            What is Popcorn?
            ----------------
            Popcorn is a freeware ultra-lightweight POP3/SMTP e-mail client, free from
            unwanted and useless bloatware features. Being a true client/server
            application, it does not work in the same way as a typical mail program.
            This means that you're reading mail from a POP3 server directly, without
            downloading it to a local mailbox on your PC (although you can save mail
            messages locally if you want to). This makes it ideally suited for
            "on the road" mail access, and for scanning, reading and sending mail over
            slow internet connections.

            Popcorn supports multiple user profiles, enabling you to read and send
            mail from any number of different POP3 accounts. It is a small, portable
            e-mail client, the kind you can carry with you on a floppy disk or download
            quickly from the web without having to go through any installation
            procedures.
            The user profiles and account information is NOT saved in the local
            registry,
            but in a small, portable .INI-file that accompanies the application,
            enabling you to easily move between locations.

            Using Popcorn you can check and send mail from anywhere as long as you
            have an Internet connection. You can also delete spam, old messages or see
            if a message has attachments without downloading the messages from the
            server first. It is perfect for cleaning up and administering multiple POP3
            accounts.
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 13, 2002
              Hi Greg,

              >I have tried POPCORN.
              >
              >All support questions, feature requests and bug reports will be
              >ignored, as will all requests regarding releasing the source
              >code.

              I had to download it just because I like their blunt statement,
              especially, the latter part about the source. <g>

            • Greg Chapman
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 13, 2002
                Hi Jody,

                > I had to download it just because I like their blunt statement,
                > especially, the latter part about the source. <g>

                Of course, I had to install it to read that bit!

                To quote a paint manufacturer's slogan, that we have here in the UK,
                somewhat out of place, but you'll get what I mean

                "It does exactly what it says on the can"

                I must admit to liking POPCORN. The only feature I would wish to change
                would be to use Andale Mono, Fixedsys or Terminal rather than Courier.
                Considering its size, I reckon it to be "feature-rich"!

                Greg
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 14, 2002
                  Hi Greg,

                  It appears to be really nice, but I thinking I am going to stick
                  with eRemover 2.4. ;)