Re: [NTO] Off-Topic list requires sign-in

  • Gossie
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 11 4:47 PM
      This is what I'm saying .. If this is on PUBLIC ARCHIVES and we reply this
      way .. look at how many addresses they can grab just from this letter. I
      know the two addresses in here aren't much, but it adds up. :-)

      I don't know what is right or wrong, I guess what I'm trying to do is find
      out which way is the best way. ;-) Not that Jody will let me change it. LOL

      Gossie

      At 07:33 PM 9/11/2002 -0400, you wrote:

      >aha ... thanks alice - that probably explains why I don't get much spam.
      >What spammer is going to guess that if they find burale@a.... they need
      >to replace "a" by "aci.on.ca" ;-)
      >
      >Regards ... Alec

    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 12 12:03 AM
        Have a look at either or both of Mailcall (from PCMag) or MailWasher
        (both free)

        They allow you to specify "rules" similar to those that can be used in
        OE or theBat and other e-mail clients, but independant of them. You can
        either have them delete messages while they are still on the server,
        before they ever even get to your e-mail client, or look at them sorted
        by "being spam" likelihood and delete them youself en-bloc, again
        without OE or Outlook or theBat or whatever ... having to ever see them.

        I use MailCall to sound an audible alert when I receive mail that has
        either "alec" or "burgess" in them so if I'm reading other mail in OE I
        know its worthwhile clicking Send-Receive and then letting my OE-rules
        sort the incoming into separate in-boxes.

        I don't get much spam (maybe as Alice suggests because my ISP aci.on.ca
        is less likely to get targeted by "name harvesters") but either way the
        above two programs can provide a useful service.

        Regards ... Alec

        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 12 3:19 PM
          Hi Ray,

          http://eremover.bizhosting.com/contents/download.htm

          I notice that v3.0 is released and still freeware. It appears
          that there might be a "Pro" version coming by reading between the
          lines; there is a beta version with temporary key. I still have
          a copy of v2.4 to fall back on should I not like v3.0.

          In short, it connects to your mail server and downloads the
          header and some text of the message. The amount of text in the
          message is configurable. You just click on the messages that you
          do not want to download and they are deleted from the server.
          Most SPAM can be recognized just by the Subject. The Subject is
          what you see in eRemover; double click to see the other
          information mentioned above.

          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 13 4:19 AM
            Hi Cindy and Others,

            I like it set up so that viewing the messages is public and
            sending is for members only. I don't want to have to force
            'Tabbers to sign up for every list to find out if they do or do
            not want to be on it or just to browse the messages for whatever.
            Anybody can sign up for the lists and get eMail addresses
            delivered to them if they want them bad enough.

            The addresses are truncated as mentioned on the web which has
            been discussed. The bots that harvest addresses will do just
            that when able to do it and folks like me with common domains
            (like the looking glass lady mentioned ;) are going to get it one
            way or the other anyway. @... Sooner or later I
            venture to say that your most protected eMail addie will get
            SPAMmed, and once it does, after a bit longer, that's about all
            she wrote.

            >This is what I'm saying .. If this is on PUBLIC ARCHIVES and we
            >reply this way .. look at how many addresses they can grab just
            >from this letter. I know the two addresses in here aren't much,
            >but it adds up. :-)

          • Greg Chapman
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 13 4:23 AM
              Hi Ray,

              > >What does that mean and how does one do it?

              You can do it by TELNETing to your POP3 server and logging in through a DOS
              style interface. The necessary tools come with Windows, but it's a pain!

              I usually use a web-based service like: http://www.mail2web.com which
              allows me to create a customised entry page where I can pick up and send
              mail from several different mail accounts at several ISPs.

              However, you can use programs specifically designed for the purpose, as Jody
              has suggested.

              I have tried POPCORN. It's freeware! Below is the first section of the
              README file. I got the package popsetup.exe from a magazine cover disk. At
              176kb, it is, indeed, "an ultra-lightweight POP3/SMTP e-mail client", but it
              does more than the job I wanted it to do.

              Greg

              Ultrafunk Popcorn POP3/SMTP e-mail client README.TXT

              Release information:
              --------------------
              Release date : 03-Apr-2002
              Version : Popcorn release 1.20
              Author : Ultrafunk
              Web : http://www.ultrafunk.com
              Product page : http://www.ultrafunk.com/products/popcorn/

              IMPORTANT NOTICE!
              -----------------
              All future Popcorn development has been permanently discontinued.
              Release 1.20 is the last official build that will be made available for
              the general public, it is based on the latest stable 1.20 beta that was
              under development. The program will still be available for download in
              the foreseeable future. All support questions, feature requests and bug
              reports will be ignored, as will all requests regarding releasing the
              source code.

              What is Popcorn?
              ----------------
              Popcorn is a freeware ultra-lightweight POP3/SMTP e-mail client, free from
              unwanted and useless bloatware features. Being a true client/server
              application, it does not work in the same way as a typical mail program.
              This means that you're reading mail from a POP3 server directly, without
              downloading it to a local mailbox on your PC (although you can save mail
              messages locally if you want to). This makes it ideally suited for
              "on the road" mail access, and for scanning, reading and sending mail over
              slow internet connections.

              Popcorn supports multiple user profiles, enabling you to read and send
              mail from any number of different POP3 accounts. It is a small, portable
              e-mail client, the kind you can carry with you on a floppy disk or download
              quickly from the web without having to go through any installation
              procedures.
              The user profiles and account information is NOT saved in the local
              registry,
              but in a small, portable .INI-file that accompanies the application,
              enabling you to easily move between locations.

              Using Popcorn you can check and send mail from anywhere as long as you
              have an Internet connection. You can also delete spam, old messages or see
              if a message has attachments without downloading the messages from the
              server first. It is perfect for cleaning up and administering multiple POP3
              accounts.
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 13 4:52 AM
                Hi Greg,

                >I have tried POPCORN.
                >
                >All support questions, feature requests and bug reports will be
                >ignored, as will all requests regarding releasing the source
                >code.

                I had to download it just because I like their blunt statement,
                especially, the latter part about the source. <g>

              • Greg Chapman
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 13 4:04 PM
                  Hi Jody,

                  > I had to download it just because I like their blunt statement,
                  > especially, the latter part about the source. <g>

                  Of course, I had to install it to read that bit!

                  To quote a paint manufacturer's slogan, that we have here in the UK,
                  somewhat out of place, but you'll get what I mean

                  "It does exactly what it says on the can"

                  I must admit to liking POPCORN. The only feature I would wish to change
                  would be to use Andale Mono, Fixedsys or Terminal rather than Courier.
                  Considering its size, I reckon it to be "feature-rich"!

                  Greg
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 14 7:01 PM
                    Hi Greg,

                    It appears to be really nice, but I thinking I am going to stick
                    with eRemover 2.4. ;)