Re: [NTO] Off-Topic list requires sign-in

    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 10, 2002
      Hi Alice and All,

      Welcome to yahoo! :-( I hate having to log on every 24 hrs, and
      nothing seems to be standard for all the subscribers anymore -
      lots of bugs it seems.

      >You're just lucky, :-) I have to enter my password once every 24
      >hours and there are quite a few glitches in the system, I hear
      >from tons of people with log in problems on the listowner help
      >lists.
      >
      >So count your blessings!

    • Gossie
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 10, 2002
        LOL Now I have a question. If set to public archives, can't our email
        address be scanned (not just from headers, but from body of letter too) and
        be used to spam? I don't know about any of you, but I've been receiving
        spam through some of the notetab groups, as well as other groups I don't
        moderate. And yes, I'm the one that took away PUBLIC archiving because of
        the SPAM thing. I didn't change all of them, as I wanted to see if there
        was a difference between the ones that were public and the ones that
        weren't. Sorry I caused problems.

        Gossie/Cindy
        The OTHER Moderator hehe

        At 05:07 PM 9/10/2002 -0500, you wrote:

        >Hi Julie,
        >
        > > > No, the message archives of for example the Clip and HTML lists
        > > > are publicly available. NTO and NTB are not. Didn't it use to
        > > > be only NTB that was public? Oh well, the email addresses seem
        > > > to be obscured anyway.
        >
        >Thanks Julie! Please set all lists to public, except for ntb-
        >nextrelease and fs-nextrelease. Keep them to members only.
        >Thanks! That is the way I thought I had them set, but no telling
        >what I do at dark-thirty in the AM anymore. ;)
        >
        > >If Jody gives me the word, I'll modify the settings to whatever
        > >he prefers.
        >

        >Happy Topics,
        >Jody
        >
        >The NoteTab Off-Topic List
        >mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        >---
        >Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

      • alice ttlg
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 10, 2002
          > LOL Now I have a question. If set to public archives, can't our email
          > address be scanned (not just from headers, but from body of letter too) and
          > be used to spam? I don't know about any of you, but I've been receiving
          > spam through some of the notetab groups, as well as other groups I don't
          > moderate. And yes, I'm the one that took away PUBLIC archiving because of
          > the SPAM thing. I didn't change all of them, as I wanted to see if there
          > was a difference between the ones that were public and the ones that
          > weren't. Sorry I caused problems.

          All email addresses in the archives are munged for non-listowners/moderators.
          So any list members or non-list members will see alicew@d.... However, spammers
          will grab those munged addresses and guess at the popular domains, like all
          members with @a..., they'll substitute @... and @h... becomes @...
          and @y... becomes @... and @e... becomes @... and most of the
          time, they'll hit a valid address.

          I always keep my archives for members only but each list is different.

          alice ttlg

          Coda: http://coda.populli.org/
          Idiot Box: http://idiotbox.populli.org/
          --
          They said he was a murderer, I thought he was simply breathtaking.
          - Author unknown
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 10, 2002
            Hi Cindy,

            Well, now I know that I don't have to always take all the blame. :-)
            I think those eMail address harvesters are going to get in one
            way or the other to get addresses. Then there are the desperados
            that send SPAM to Jody@ and about 1000 domains it seems and sure
            enough they hit a few of mine. ;) I receive during the week
            about 75 SPAMs a day and maybe as many as 300-400 over Friday
            night till Monday AM. I quit fighting it a long time ago. I am
            much happier just deleting it at the server level than trying to
            go through major changes and hate feelings trying to prevent it
            which I did for a couple years it seems.

            >LOL Now I have a question. If set to public archives, can't our
            >email address be scanned (not just from headers, but from body of
            >letter too) and be used to spam? I don't know about any of you,
            >but I've been receiving spam through some of the notetab groups,
            >as well as other groups I don't moderate. And yes, I'm the one
            >that took away PUBLIC archiving because of the SPAM thing. I
            >didn't change all of them, as I wanted to see if there was a
            >difference between the ones that were public and the ones that
            >weren't. Sorry I caused problems.
            >
            >Gossie/Cindy
            >The OTHER Moderator hehe

          • Ray Shapp
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 11, 2002
              Hi Jody

              What does that mean and how does one do it?

              Ray Shapp
              Watchung, NJ
            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 11, 2002
                aha ... thanks alice - that probably explains why I don't get much spam.
                What spammer is going to guess that if they find burale@a.... they need
                to replace "a" by "aci.on.ca" ;-)

                Regards ... Alec

                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 11, 2002
                  This is what I'm saying .. If this is on PUBLIC ARCHIVES and we reply this
                  way .. look at how many addresses they can grab just from this letter. I
                  know the two addresses in here aren't much, but it adds up. :-)

                  I don't know what is right or wrong, I guess what I'm trying to do is find
                  out which way is the best way. ;-) Not that Jody will let me change it. LOL

                  Gossie

                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 12, 2002
                    Have a look at either or both of Mailcall (from PCMag) or MailWasher
                    (both free)

                    They allow you to specify "rules" similar to those that can be used in
                    OE or theBat and other e-mail clients, but independant of them. You can
                    either have them delete messages while they are still on the server,
                    before they ever even get to your e-mail client, or look at them sorted
                    by "being spam" likelihood and delete them youself en-bloc, again
                    without OE or Outlook or theBat or whatever ... having to ever see them.

                    I use MailCall to sound an audible alert when I receive mail that has
                    either "alec" or "burgess" in them so if I'm reading other mail in OE I
                    know its worthwhile clicking Send-Receive and then letting my OE-rules
                    sort the incoming into separate in-boxes.

                    I don't get much spam (maybe as Alice suggests because my ISP aci.on.ca
                    is less likely to get targeted by "name harvesters") but either way the
                    above two programs can provide a useful service.

                    Regards ... Alec

                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 12, 2002
                      Hi Ray,

                      http://eremover.bizhosting.com/contents/download.htm

                      I notice that v3.0 is released and still freeware. It appears
                      that there might be a "Pro" version coming by reading between the
                      lines; there is a beta version with temporary key. I still have
                      a copy of v2.4 to fall back on should I not like v3.0.

                      In short, it connects to your mail server and downloads the
                      header and some text of the message. The amount of text in the
                      message is configurable. You just click on the messages that you
                      do not want to download and they are deleted from the server.
                      Most SPAM can be recognized just by the Subject. The Subject is
                      what you see in eRemover; double click to see the other
                      information mentioned above.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 13, 2002
                        Hi Cindy and Others,

                        I like it set up so that viewing the messages is public and
                        sending is for members only. I don't want to have to force
                        'Tabbers to sign up for every list to find out if they do or do
                        not want to be on it or just to browse the messages for whatever.
                        Anybody can sign up for the lists and get eMail addresses
                        delivered to them if they want them bad enough.

                        The addresses are truncated as mentioned on the web which has
                        been discussed. The bots that harvest addresses will do just
                        that when able to do it and folks like me with common domains
                        (like the looking glass lady mentioned ;) are going to get it one
                        way or the other anyway. @... Sooner or later I
                        venture to say that your most protected eMail addie will get
                        SPAMmed, and once it does, after a bit longer, that's about all
                        she wrote.

                        >This is what I'm saying .. If this is on PUBLIC ARCHIVES and we
                        >reply this way .. look at how many addresses they can grab just
                        >from this letter. I know the two addresses in here aren't much,
                        >but it adds up. :-)

                      • Greg Chapman
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 13, 2002
                          Hi Ray,

                          > >What does that mean and how does one do it?

                          You can do it by TELNETing to your POP3 server and logging in through a DOS
                          style interface. The necessary tools come with Windows, but it's a pain!

                          I usually use a web-based service like: http://www.mail2web.com which
                          allows me to create a customised entry page where I can pick up and send
                          mail from several different mail accounts at several ISPs.

                          However, you can use programs specifically designed for the purpose, as Jody
                          has suggested.

                          I have tried POPCORN. It's freeware! Below is the first section of the
                          README file. I got the package popsetup.exe from a magazine cover disk. At
                          176kb, it is, indeed, "an ultra-lightweight POP3/SMTP e-mail client", but it
                          does more than the job I wanted it to do.

                          Greg

                          Ultrafunk Popcorn POP3/SMTP e-mail client README.TXT

                          Release information:
                          --------------------
                          Release date : 03-Apr-2002
                          Version : Popcorn release 1.20
                          Author : Ultrafunk
                          Web : http://www.ultrafunk.com
                          Product page : http://www.ultrafunk.com/products/popcorn/

                          IMPORTANT NOTICE!
                          -----------------
                          All future Popcorn development has been permanently discontinued.
                          Release 1.20 is the last official build that will be made available for
                          the general public, it is based on the latest stable 1.20 beta that was
                          under development. The program will still be available for download in
                          the foreseeable future. All support questions, feature requests and bug
                          reports will be ignored, as will all requests regarding releasing the
                          source code.

                          What is Popcorn?
                          ----------------
                          Popcorn is a freeware ultra-lightweight POP3/SMTP e-mail client, free from
                          unwanted and useless bloatware features. Being a true client/server
                          application, it does not work in the same way as a typical mail program.
                          This means that you're reading mail from a POP3 server directly, without
                          downloading it to a local mailbox on your PC (although you can save mail
                          messages locally if you want to). This makes it ideally suited for
                          "on the road" mail access, and for scanning, reading and sending mail over
                          slow internet connections.

                          Popcorn supports multiple user profiles, enabling you to read and send
                          mail from any number of different POP3 accounts. It is a small, portable
                          e-mail client, the kind you can carry with you on a floppy disk or download
                          quickly from the web without having to go through any installation
                          procedures.
                          The user profiles and account information is NOT saved in the local
                          registry,
                          but in a small, portable .INI-file that accompanies the application,
                          enabling you to easily move between locations.

                          Using Popcorn you can check and send mail from anywhere as long as you
                          have an Internet connection. You can also delete spam, old messages or see
                          if a message has attachments without downloading the messages from the
                          server first. It is perfect for cleaning up and administering multiple POP3
                          accounts.
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 13, 2002
                            Hi Greg,

                            >I have tried POPCORN.
                            >
                            >All support questions, feature requests and bug reports will be
                            >ignored, as will all requests regarding releasing the source
                            >code.

                            I had to download it just because I like their blunt statement,
                            especially, the latter part about the source. <g>

                          • Greg Chapman
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 13, 2002
                              Hi Jody,

                              > I had to download it just because I like their blunt statement,
                              > especially, the latter part about the source. <g>

                              Of course, I had to install it to read that bit!

                              To quote a paint manufacturer's slogan, that we have here in the UK,
                              somewhat out of place, but you'll get what I mean

                              "It does exactly what it says on the can"

                              I must admit to liking POPCORN. The only feature I would wish to change
                              would be to use Andale Mono, Fixedsys or Terminal rather than Courier.
                              Considering its size, I reckon it to be "feature-rich"!

                              Greg
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 14, 2002
                                Hi Greg,

                                It appears to be really nice, but I thinking I am going to stick
                                with eRemover 2.4. ;)