Re: [NTO] Off-Topic list requires sign-in

  • Julie
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 10 10:19 AM
      Hi Lotta,

      >No, the message archives of for example the Clip and HTML lists are
      >publicly available. NTO and NTB are not. Didn't it use to be only NTB that
      >was public? Oh well, the email addresses seem to be obscured anyway.

      I think the NTB archive setting must have been changed in the last
      week, because I can usually read that list's archives at work without
      having to set a cookie on the machine. This past weekend I couldn't read
      'em anymore from work. I like the fact you can also see the poster's name
      again, and not just the Yahoo ID. If Jody gives me the word, I'll modify
      the settings to whatever he prefers.

      Here's a quick scan of the lists' status...

      notetab
      · Archives for members only

      ntb-clips
      · Public archives

      ntb-html
      · Public archives

      ntb-NextRelease
      · Archives for members only

      ntb-OffTopic
      · Archives for members only

      ntb-scripts
      · Archives for members only

      Julie
    • Christine
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 10 11:32 AM
        Alice,
        they might TELL you they expire cookies, but they don't really.
        I am not a security nut, so I have them "remember my name" and haven't
        logged in in ages. Ok, every time I rebuilt my computer, but it's been
        about 2 years now.
        And the archives shouldn't require a log-in!

        Christine
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 10 11:32 AM
          Julie, may I contact you directly about a dupe membership I can't seem to
          locate or kill? It's not worth a list post, I don't think. I wrote to
          both moderators about 2 months ago but received no responses.

          Thanks,
          Christine

        • Julie
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 10 11:47 AM
            Hi Christine,

            >Julie, may I contact you directly about a dupe membership I can't seem to
            >locate or kill? It's not worth a list post, I don't think. I wrote to
            >both moderators about 2 months ago but received no responses.

            Sure thing...if you can, forward me one of the posts from the other
            address with full headers?

            Julie
          • alice ttlg
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 10 11:50 AM
              > Alice,
              > they might TELL you they expire cookies, but they don't really.
              > I am not a security nut, so I have them "remember my name" and haven't
              > logged in in ages. Ok, every time I rebuilt my computer, but it's been
              > about 2 years now.
              > And the archives shouldn't require a log-in!
              >
              > Christine

              You're just lucky, :-) I have to enter my password once every 24 hours and there
              are quite a few glitches in the system, I hear from tons of people with log in
              problems on the listowner help lists.

              So count your blessings!

              alice ttlg

              Coda: http://coda.populli.org/
              Idiot Box: http://idiotbox.populli.org/
              --
              They said he was a murderer, I thought he was simply breathtaking.
              - Author unknown
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 10 3:07 PM
                Hi Julie,

                > > No, the message archives of for example the Clip and HTML lists
                > > are publicly available. NTO and NTB are not. Didn't it use to
                > > be only NTB that was public? Oh well, the email addresses seem
                > > to be obscured anyway.

                Thanks Julie! Please set all lists to public, except for ntb-
                nextrelease and fs-nextrelease. Keep them to members only.
                Thanks! That is the way I thought I had them set, but no telling
                what I do at dark-thirty in the AM anymore. ;)

                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 10 4:27 PM
                  Hi Alice and All,

                  Welcome to yahoo! :-( I hate having to log on every 24 hrs, and
                  nothing seems to be standard for all the subscribers anymore -
                  lots of bugs it seems.

                  >You're just lucky, :-) I have to enter my password once every 24
                  >hours and there are quite a few glitches in the system, I hear
                  >from tons of people with log in problems on the listowner help
                  >lists.
                  >
                  >So count your blessings!

                • Gossie
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 10 9:33 PM
                    LOL Now I have a question. If set to public archives, can't our email
                    address be scanned (not just from headers, but from body of letter too) and
                    be used to spam? I don't know about any of you, but I've been receiving
                    spam through some of the notetab groups, as well as other groups I don't
                    moderate. And yes, I'm the one that took away PUBLIC archiving because of
                    the SPAM thing. I didn't change all of them, as I wanted to see if there
                    was a difference between the ones that were public and the ones that
                    weren't. Sorry I caused problems.

                    Gossie/Cindy
                    The OTHER Moderator hehe

                    At 05:07 PM 9/10/2002 -0500, you wrote:

                    >Hi Julie,
                    >
                    > > > No, the message archives of for example the Clip and HTML lists
                    > > > are publicly available. NTO and NTB are not. Didn't it use to
                    > > > be only NTB that was public? Oh well, the email addresses seem
                    > > > to be obscured anyway.
                    >
                    >Thanks Julie! Please set all lists to public, except for ntb-
                    >nextrelease and fs-nextrelease. Keep them to members only.
                    >Thanks! That is the way I thought I had them set, but no telling
                    >what I do at dark-thirty in the AM anymore. ;)
                    >
                    > >If Jody gives me the word, I'll modify the settings to whatever
                    > >he prefers.
                    >

                    >Happy Topics,
                    >Jody
                    >
                    >The NoteTab Off-Topic List
                    >mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                    >---
                    >Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

                  • alice ttlg
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 10 10:05 PM
                      > LOL Now I have a question. If set to public archives, can't our email
                      > address be scanned (not just from headers, but from body of letter too) and
                      > be used to spam? I don't know about any of you, but I've been receiving
                      > spam through some of the notetab groups, as well as other groups I don't
                      > moderate. And yes, I'm the one that took away PUBLIC archiving because of
                      > the SPAM thing. I didn't change all of them, as I wanted to see if there
                      > was a difference between the ones that were public and the ones that
                      > weren't. Sorry I caused problems.

                      All email addresses in the archives are munged for non-listowners/moderators.
                      So any list members or non-list members will see alicew@d.... However, spammers
                      will grab those munged addresses and guess at the popular domains, like all
                      members with @a..., they'll substitute @... and @h... becomes @...
                      and @y... becomes @... and @e... becomes @... and most of the
                      time, they'll hit a valid address.

                      I always keep my archives for members only but each list is different.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 10 10:29 PM
                        Hi Cindy,

                        Well, now I know that I don't have to always take all the blame. :-)
                        I think those eMail address harvesters are going to get in one
                        way or the other to get addresses. Then there are the desperados
                        that send SPAM to Jody@ and about 1000 domains it seems and sure
                        enough they hit a few of mine. ;) I receive during the week
                        about 75 SPAMs a day and maybe as many as 300-400 over Friday
                        night till Monday AM. I quit fighting it a long time ago. I am
                        much happier just deleting it at the server level than trying to
                        go through major changes and hate feelings trying to prevent it
                        which I did for a couple years it seems.

                        >LOL Now I have a question. If set to public archives, can't our
                        >email address be scanned (not just from headers, but from body of
                        >letter too) and be used to spam? I don't know about any of you,
                        >but I've been receiving spam through some of the notetab groups,
                        >as well as other groups I don't moderate. And yes, I'm the one
                        >that took away PUBLIC archiving because of the SPAM thing. I
                        >didn't change all of them, as I wanted to see if there was a
                        >difference between the ones that were public and the ones that
                        >weren't. Sorry I caused problems.
                        >
                        >Gossie/Cindy
                        >The OTHER Moderator hehe

                      • Ray Shapp
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 11 2:14 PM
                          Hi Jody

                          What does that mean and how does one do it?

                          Ray Shapp
                          Watchung, NJ
                        • Alec Burgess
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 11 4:33 PM
                            aha ... thanks alice - that probably explains why I don't get much spam.
                            What spammer is going to guess that if they find burale@a.... they need
                            to replace "a" by "aci.on.ca" ;-)

                            Regards ... Alec

                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 11 4:47 PM
                              This is what I'm saying .. If this is on PUBLIC ARCHIVES and we reply this
                              way .. look at how many addresses they can grab just from this letter. I
                              know the two addresses in here aren't much, but it adds up. :-)

                              I don't know what is right or wrong, I guess what I'm trying to do is find
                              out which way is the best way. ;-) Not that Jody will let me change it. LOL

                              Gossie

                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 12 12:03 AM
                                Have a look at either or both of Mailcall (from PCMag) or MailWasher
                                (both free)

                                They allow you to specify "rules" similar to those that can be used in
                                OE or theBat and other e-mail clients, but independant of them. You can
                                either have them delete messages while they are still on the server,
                                before they ever even get to your e-mail client, or look at them sorted
                                by "being spam" likelihood and delete them youself en-bloc, again
                                without OE or Outlook or theBat or whatever ... having to ever see them.

                                I use MailCall to sound an audible alert when I receive mail that has
                                either "alec" or "burgess" in them so if I'm reading other mail in OE I
                                know its worthwhile clicking Send-Receive and then letting my OE-rules
                                sort the incoming into separate in-boxes.

                                I don't get much spam (maybe as Alice suggests because my ISP aci.on.ca
                                is less likely to get targeted by "name harvesters") but either way the
                                above two programs can provide a useful service.

                                Regards ... Alec

                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 12 3:19 PM
                                  Hi Ray,

                                  http://eremover.bizhosting.com/contents/download.htm

                                  I notice that v3.0 is released and still freeware. It appears
                                  that there might be a "Pro" version coming by reading between the
                                  lines; there is a beta version with temporary key. I still have
                                  a copy of v2.4 to fall back on should I not like v3.0.

                                  In short, it connects to your mail server and downloads the
                                  header and some text of the message. The amount of text in the
                                  message is configurable. You just click on the messages that you
                                  do not want to download and they are deleted from the server.
                                  Most SPAM can be recognized just by the Subject. The Subject is
                                  what you see in eRemover; double click to see the other
                                  information mentioned above.

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 13 4:19 AM
                                    Hi Cindy and Others,

                                    I like it set up so that viewing the messages is public and
                                    sending is for members only. I don't want to have to force
                                    'Tabbers to sign up for every list to find out if they do or do
                                    not want to be on it or just to browse the messages for whatever.
                                    Anybody can sign up for the lists and get eMail addresses
                                    delivered to them if they want them bad enough.

                                    The addresses are truncated as mentioned on the web which has
                                    been discussed. The bots that harvest addresses will do just
                                    that when able to do it and folks like me with common domains
                                    (like the looking glass lady mentioned ;) are going to get it one
                                    way or the other anyway. @... Sooner or later I
                                    venture to say that your most protected eMail addie will get
                                    SPAMmed, and once it does, after a bit longer, that's about all
                                    she wrote.

                                    >This is what I'm saying .. If this is on PUBLIC ARCHIVES and we
                                    >reply this way .. look at how many addresses they can grab just
                                    >from this letter. I know the two addresses in here aren't much,
                                    >but it adds up. :-)

                                  • Greg Chapman
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 13 4:23 AM
                                      Hi Ray,

                                      > >What does that mean and how does one do it?

                                      You can do it by TELNETing to your POP3 server and logging in through a DOS
                                      style interface. The necessary tools come with Windows, but it's a pain!

                                      I usually use a web-based service like: http://www.mail2web.com which
                                      allows me to create a customised entry page where I can pick up and send
                                      mail from several different mail accounts at several ISPs.

                                      However, you can use programs specifically designed for the purpose, as Jody
                                      has suggested.

                                      I have tried POPCORN. It's freeware! Below is the first section of the
                                      README file. I got the package popsetup.exe from a magazine cover disk. At
                                      176kb, it is, indeed, "an ultra-lightweight POP3/SMTP e-mail client", but it
                                      does more than the job I wanted it to do.

                                      Greg

                                      Ultrafunk Popcorn POP3/SMTP e-mail client README.TXT

                                      Release information:
                                      --------------------
                                      Release date : 03-Apr-2002
                                      Version : Popcorn release 1.20
                                      Author : Ultrafunk
                                      Web : http://www.ultrafunk.com
                                      Product page : http://www.ultrafunk.com/products/popcorn/

                                      IMPORTANT NOTICE!
                                      -----------------
                                      All future Popcorn development has been permanently discontinued.
                                      Release 1.20 is the last official build that will be made available for
                                      the general public, it is based on the latest stable 1.20 beta that was
                                      under development. The program will still be available for download in
                                      the foreseeable future. All support questions, feature requests and bug
                                      reports will be ignored, as will all requests regarding releasing the
                                      source code.

                                      What is Popcorn?
                                      ----------------
                                      Popcorn is a freeware ultra-lightweight POP3/SMTP e-mail client, free from
                                      unwanted and useless bloatware features. Being a true client/server
                                      application, it does not work in the same way as a typical mail program.
                                      This means that you're reading mail from a POP3 server directly, without
                                      downloading it to a local mailbox on your PC (although you can save mail
                                      messages locally if you want to). This makes it ideally suited for
                                      "on the road" mail access, and for scanning, reading and sending mail over
                                      slow internet connections.

                                      Popcorn supports multiple user profiles, enabling you to read and send
                                      mail from any number of different POP3 accounts. It is a small, portable
                                      e-mail client, the kind you can carry with you on a floppy disk or download
                                      quickly from the web without having to go through any installation
                                      procedures.
                                      The user profiles and account information is NOT saved in the local
                                      registry,
                                      but in a small, portable .INI-file that accompanies the application,
                                      enabling you to easily move between locations.

                                      Using Popcorn you can check and send mail from anywhere as long as you
                                      have an Internet connection. You can also delete spam, old messages or see
                                      if a message has attachments without downloading the messages from the
                                      server first. It is perfect for cleaning up and administering multiple POP3
                                      accounts.
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Sep 13 4:52 AM
                                        Hi Greg,

                                        >I have tried POPCORN.
                                        >
                                        >All support questions, feature requests and bug reports will be
                                        >ignored, as will all requests regarding releasing the source
                                        >code.

                                        I had to download it just because I like their blunt statement,
                                        especially, the latter part about the source. <g>

                                      • Greg Chapman
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Sep 13 4:04 PM
                                          Hi Jody,

                                          > I had to download it just because I like their blunt statement,
                                          > especially, the latter part about the source. <g>

                                          Of course, I had to install it to read that bit!

                                          To quote a paint manufacturer's slogan, that we have here in the UK,
                                          somewhat out of place, but you'll get what I mean

                                          "It does exactly what it says on the can"

                                          I must admit to liking POPCORN. The only feature I would wish to change
                                          would be to use Andale Mono, Fixedsys or Terminal rather than Courier.
                                          Considering its size, I reckon it to be "feature-rich"!

                                          Greg
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Sep 14 7:01 PM
                                            Hi Greg,

                                            It appears to be really nice, but I thinking I am going to stick
                                            with eRemover 2.4. ;)