Re: [NTO] Off-Topic list requires sign-in

  • alice ttlg
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 10, 2002
      > No, the message archives of for example the Clip and HTML lists are
      > publicly available. NTO and NTB are not. Didn't it use to be only NTB that
      > was public? Oh well, the email addresses seem to be obscured anyway.
      >
      > Lotta

      oic! yes, that would make a difference, public archives don't require a
      sign-in. I have no idea how they used to be.

      Yes, all email addresses are obscured on all groups, except for listowners who
      can see full email addresses.

      alice ttlg

      Coda: http://coda.populli.org/
      Idiot Box: http://idiotbox.populli.org/
      --
      They said he was a murderer, I thought he was simply breathtaking.
      - Author unknown
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 10, 2002
        Hi Lotta,

        >No, the message archives of for example the Clip and HTML lists are
        >publicly available. NTO and NTB are not. Didn't it use to be only NTB that
        >was public? Oh well, the email addresses seem to be obscured anyway.

        I think the NTB archive setting must have been changed in the last
        week, because I can usually read that list's archives at work without
        having to set a cookie on the machine. This past weekend I couldn't read
        'em anymore from work. I like the fact you can also see the poster's name
        again, and not just the Yahoo ID. If Jody gives me the word, I'll modify
        the settings to whatever he prefers.

        Here's a quick scan of the lists' status...

        notetab
        · Archives for members only

        ntb-clips
        · Public archives

        ntb-html
        · Public archives

        ntb-NextRelease
        · Archives for members only

        ntb-OffTopic
        · Archives for members only

        ntb-scripts
        · Archives for members only

        Julie
      • Christine
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 10, 2002
          Alice,
          they might TELL you they expire cookies, but they don't really.
          I am not a security nut, so I have them "remember my name" and haven't
          logged in in ages. Ok, every time I rebuilt my computer, but it's been
          about 2 years now.
          And the archives shouldn't require a log-in!

          Christine
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 10, 2002
            Julie, may I contact you directly about a dupe membership I can't seem to
            locate or kill? It's not worth a list post, I don't think. I wrote to
            both moderators about 2 months ago but received no responses.

            Thanks,
            Christine

          • Julie
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 10, 2002
              Hi Christine,

              >Julie, may I contact you directly about a dupe membership I can't seem to
              >locate or kill? It's not worth a list post, I don't think. I wrote to
              >both moderators about 2 months ago but received no responses.

              Sure thing...if you can, forward me one of the posts from the other
              address with full headers?

              Julie
            • alice ttlg
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 10, 2002
                > Alice,
                > they might TELL you they expire cookies, but they don't really.
                > I am not a security nut, so I have them "remember my name" and haven't
                > logged in in ages. Ok, every time I rebuilt my computer, but it's been
                > about 2 years now.
                > And the archives shouldn't require a log-in!
                >
                > Christine

                You're just lucky, :-) I have to enter my password once every 24 hours and there
                are quite a few glitches in the system, I hear from tons of people with log in
                problems on the listowner help lists.

                So count your blessings!

                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 10, 2002
                  Hi Julie,

                  > > No, the message archives of for example the Clip and HTML lists
                  > > are publicly available. NTO and NTB are not. Didn't it use to
                  > > be only NTB that was public? Oh well, the email addresses seem
                  > > to be obscured anyway.

                  Thanks Julie! Please set all lists to public, except for ntb-
                  nextrelease and fs-nextrelease. Keep them to members only.
                  Thanks! That is the way I thought I had them set, but no telling
                  what I do at dark-thirty in the AM anymore. ;)

                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 10, 2002
                    Hi Alice and All,

                    Welcome to yahoo! :-( I hate having to log on every 24 hrs, and
                    nothing seems to be standard for all the subscribers anymore -
                    lots of bugs it seems.

                    >You're just lucky, :-) I have to enter my password once every 24
                    >hours and there are quite a few glitches in the system, I hear
                    >from tons of people with log in problems on the listowner help
                    >lists.
                    >
                    >So count your blessings!

                  • Gossie
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 10, 2002
                      LOL Now I have a question. If set to public archives, can't our email
                      address be scanned (not just from headers, but from body of letter too) and
                      be used to spam? I don't know about any of you, but I've been receiving
                      spam through some of the notetab groups, as well as other groups I don't
                      moderate. And yes, I'm the one that took away PUBLIC archiving because of
                      the SPAM thing. I didn't change all of them, as I wanted to see if there
                      was a difference between the ones that were public and the ones that
                      weren't. Sorry I caused problems.

                      Gossie/Cindy
                      The OTHER Moderator hehe

                      At 05:07 PM 9/10/2002 -0500, you wrote:

                      >Hi Julie,
                      >
                      > > > No, the message archives of for example the Clip and HTML lists
                      > > > are publicly available. NTO and NTB are not. Didn't it use to
                      > > > be only NTB that was public? Oh well, the email addresses seem
                      > > > to be obscured anyway.
                      >
                      >Thanks Julie! Please set all lists to public, except for ntb-
                      >nextrelease and fs-nextrelease. Keep them to members only.
                      >Thanks! That is the way I thought I had them set, but no telling
                      >what I do at dark-thirty in the AM anymore. ;)
                      >
                      > >If Jody gives me the word, I'll modify the settings to whatever
                      > >he prefers.
                      >

                      >Happy Topics,
                      >Jody
                      >
                      >The NoteTab Off-Topic List
                      >mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                      >---
                      >Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

                    • alice ttlg
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 10, 2002
                        > LOL Now I have a question. If set to public archives, can't our email
                        > address be scanned (not just from headers, but from body of letter too) and
                        > be used to spam? I don't know about any of you, but I've been receiving
                        > spam through some of the notetab groups, as well as other groups I don't
                        > moderate. And yes, I'm the one that took away PUBLIC archiving because of
                        > the SPAM thing. I didn't change all of them, as I wanted to see if there
                        > was a difference between the ones that were public and the ones that
                        > weren't. Sorry I caused problems.

                        All email addresses in the archives are munged for non-listowners/moderators.
                        So any list members or non-list members will see alicew@d.... However, spammers
                        will grab those munged addresses and guess at the popular domains, like all
                        members with @a..., they'll substitute @... and @h... becomes @...
                        and @y... becomes @... and @e... becomes @... and most of the
                        time, they'll hit a valid address.

                        I always keep my archives for members only but each list is different.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 10, 2002
                          Hi Cindy,

                          Well, now I know that I don't have to always take all the blame. :-)
                          I think those eMail address harvesters are going to get in one
                          way or the other to get addresses. Then there are the desperados
                          that send SPAM to Jody@ and about 1000 domains it seems and sure
                          enough they hit a few of mine. ;) I receive during the week
                          about 75 SPAMs a day and maybe as many as 300-400 over Friday
                          night till Monday AM. I quit fighting it a long time ago. I am
                          much happier just deleting it at the server level than trying to
                          go through major changes and hate feelings trying to prevent it
                          which I did for a couple years it seems.

                          >LOL Now I have a question. If set to public archives, can't our
                          >email address be scanned (not just from headers, but from body of
                          >letter too) and be used to spam? I don't know about any of you,
                          >but I've been receiving spam through some of the notetab groups,
                          >as well as other groups I don't moderate. And yes, I'm the one
                          >that took away PUBLIC archiving because of the SPAM thing. I
                          >didn't change all of them, as I wanted to see if there was a
                          >difference between the ones that were public and the ones that
                          >weren't. Sorry I caused problems.
                          >
                          >Gossie/Cindy
                          >The OTHER Moderator hehe

                        • Ray Shapp
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 11, 2002
                            Hi Jody

                            What does that mean and how does one do it?

                            Ray Shapp
                            Watchung, NJ
                          • Alec Burgess
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 11, 2002
                              aha ... thanks alice - that probably explains why I don't get much spam.
                              What spammer is going to guess that if they find burale@a.... they need
                              to replace "a" by "aci.on.ca" ;-)

                              Regards ... Alec

                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 11, 2002
                                This is what I'm saying .. If this is on PUBLIC ARCHIVES and we reply this
                                way .. look at how many addresses they can grab just from this letter. I
                                know the two addresses in here aren't much, but it adds up. :-)

                                I don't know what is right or wrong, I guess what I'm trying to do is find
                                out which way is the best way. ;-) Not that Jody will let me change it. LOL

                                Gossie

                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 12, 2002
                                  Have a look at either or both of Mailcall (from PCMag) or MailWasher
                                  (both free)

                                  They allow you to specify "rules" similar to those that can be used in
                                  OE or theBat and other e-mail clients, but independant of them. You can
                                  either have them delete messages while they are still on the server,
                                  before they ever even get to your e-mail client, or look at them sorted
                                  by "being spam" likelihood and delete them youself en-bloc, again
                                  without OE or Outlook or theBat or whatever ... having to ever see them.

                                  I use MailCall to sound an audible alert when I receive mail that has
                                  either "alec" or "burgess" in them so if I'm reading other mail in OE I
                                  know its worthwhile clicking Send-Receive and then letting my OE-rules
                                  sort the incoming into separate in-boxes.

                                  I don't get much spam (maybe as Alice suggests because my ISP aci.on.ca
                                  is less likely to get targeted by "name harvesters") but either way the
                                  above two programs can provide a useful service.

                                  Regards ... Alec

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 12, 2002
                                    Hi Ray,

                                    http://eremover.bizhosting.com/contents/download.htm

                                    I notice that v3.0 is released and still freeware. It appears
                                    that there might be a "Pro" version coming by reading between the
                                    lines; there is a beta version with temporary key. I still have
                                    a copy of v2.4 to fall back on should I not like v3.0.

                                    In short, it connects to your mail server and downloads the
                                    header and some text of the message. The amount of text in the
                                    message is configurable. You just click on the messages that you
                                    do not want to download and they are deleted from the server.
                                    Most SPAM can be recognized just by the Subject. The Subject is
                                    what you see in eRemover; double click to see the other
                                    information mentioned above.

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 13, 2002
                                      Hi Cindy and Others,

                                      I like it set up so that viewing the messages is public and
                                      sending is for members only. I don't want to have to force
                                      'Tabbers to sign up for every list to find out if they do or do
                                      not want to be on it or just to browse the messages for whatever.
                                      Anybody can sign up for the lists and get eMail addresses
                                      delivered to them if they want them bad enough.

                                      The addresses are truncated as mentioned on the web which has
                                      been discussed. The bots that harvest addresses will do just
                                      that when able to do it and folks like me with common domains
                                      (like the looking glass lady mentioned ;) are going to get it one
                                      way or the other anyway. @... Sooner or later I
                                      venture to say that your most protected eMail addie will get
                                      SPAMmed, and once it does, after a bit longer, that's about all
                                      she wrote.

                                      >This is what I'm saying .. If this is on PUBLIC ARCHIVES and we
                                      >reply this way .. look at how many addresses they can grab just
                                      >from this letter. I know the two addresses in here aren't much,
                                      >but it adds up. :-)

                                    • Greg Chapman
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Sep 13, 2002
                                        Hi Ray,

                                        > >What does that mean and how does one do it?

                                        You can do it by TELNETing to your POP3 server and logging in through a DOS
                                        style interface. The necessary tools come with Windows, but it's a pain!

                                        I usually use a web-based service like: http://www.mail2web.com which
                                        allows me to create a customised entry page where I can pick up and send
                                        mail from several different mail accounts at several ISPs.

                                        However, you can use programs specifically designed for the purpose, as Jody
                                        has suggested.

                                        I have tried POPCORN. It's freeware! Below is the first section of the
                                        README file. I got the package popsetup.exe from a magazine cover disk. At
                                        176kb, it is, indeed, "an ultra-lightweight POP3/SMTP e-mail client", but it
                                        does more than the job I wanted it to do.

                                        Greg

                                        Ultrafunk Popcorn POP3/SMTP e-mail client README.TXT

                                        Release information:
                                        --------------------
                                        Release date : 03-Apr-2002
                                        Version : Popcorn release 1.20
                                        Author : Ultrafunk
                                        Web : http://www.ultrafunk.com
                                        Product page : http://www.ultrafunk.com/products/popcorn/

                                        IMPORTANT NOTICE!
                                        -----------------
                                        All future Popcorn development has been permanently discontinued.
                                        Release 1.20 is the last official build that will be made available for
                                        the general public, it is based on the latest stable 1.20 beta that was
                                        under development. The program will still be available for download in
                                        the foreseeable future. All support questions, feature requests and bug
                                        reports will be ignored, as will all requests regarding releasing the
                                        source code.

                                        What is Popcorn?
                                        ----------------
                                        Popcorn is a freeware ultra-lightweight POP3/SMTP e-mail client, free from
                                        unwanted and useless bloatware features. Being a true client/server
                                        application, it does not work in the same way as a typical mail program.
                                        This means that you're reading mail from a POP3 server directly, without
                                        downloading it to a local mailbox on your PC (although you can save mail
                                        messages locally if you want to). This makes it ideally suited for
                                        "on the road" mail access, and for scanning, reading and sending mail over
                                        slow internet connections.

                                        Popcorn supports multiple user profiles, enabling you to read and send
                                        mail from any number of different POP3 accounts. It is a small, portable
                                        e-mail client, the kind you can carry with you on a floppy disk or download
                                        quickly from the web without having to go through any installation
                                        procedures.
                                        The user profiles and account information is NOT saved in the local
                                        registry,
                                        but in a small, portable .INI-file that accompanies the application,
                                        enabling you to easily move between locations.

                                        Using Popcorn you can check and send mail from anywhere as long as you
                                        have an Internet connection. You can also delete spam, old messages or see
                                        if a message has attachments without downloading the messages from the
                                        server first. It is perfect for cleaning up and administering multiple POP3
                                        accounts.
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Sep 13, 2002
                                          Hi Greg,

                                          >I have tried POPCORN.
                                          >
                                          >All support questions, feature requests and bug reports will be
                                          >ignored, as will all requests regarding releasing the source
                                          >code.

                                          I had to download it just because I like their blunt statement,
                                          especially, the latter part about the source. <g>

                                        • Greg Chapman
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Sep 13, 2002
                                            Hi Jody,

                                            > I had to download it just because I like their blunt statement,
                                            > especially, the latter part about the source. <g>

                                            Of course, I had to install it to read that bit!

                                            To quote a paint manufacturer's slogan, that we have here in the UK,
                                            somewhat out of place, but you'll get what I mean

                                            "It does exactly what it says on the can"

                                            I must admit to liking POPCORN. The only feature I would wish to change
                                            would be to use Andale Mono, Fixedsys or Terminal rather than Courier.
                                            Considering its size, I reckon it to be "feature-rich"!

                                            Greg
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Sep 14, 2002
                                              Hi Greg,

                                              It appears to be really nice, but I thinking I am going to stick
                                              with eRemover 2.4. ;)