Re: [NTO] web site hosts

  • Jan Rosenstreich
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 20, 2002
      On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 10:20:24 +1000, you wrote:

      >Why do people have their web sites hosted by Virtual Ave, Geo Cities etc?
      >I ask because I've seen a friend's site and it's smothered with popups.
      >My ISPs (I have two) provide web space as part of the annual charge; one
      >5MB, the other 10. The annual charge is the same whether you use the web
      >space or not. Don't all ISPs do this? There must be something I'm missing.

      I am already using my ISP space for a business type web site. I also have
      a personal site on Tripod with family pictures. I have 20 megs of space
      and when I run out, I will open another free account and link them
      together. If you use the Mozilla browser, you can kill the popups.

      Some people want to have a semi-annonymous web site. I don't have any
      email addresses on the family site or other identifiable information such
      as location - just first names on the pictures. My family site is
      intended for family and friends who are selectively given the URL. This
      won't work with many ISPs since your username is usually part of the web
      address and takes away some of the anonymity.

      I am a webmaster for one site that wanted to have a section for audio and
      video. It would not fit on his site so I put it on a free site. His site
      links to the audio/video section through a frame and the sites look
      connected.

      The free sites are also good for mirror sites (same content on different
      servers). This is good for load balancing and in case one server is
      temporarily down.

      Jan