Linux installation

  • Marcus
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2002
      Ed wrote:

      >Thanks Larry and everyone who has workedand helped me with this
      problem, I
      >now have back everything that was not corrupted by LInux and removed
      as
      fragments by Scandisk.

      Ed, that was fairly brave of you to install a new OS over a running
      system. Which Linux distro was it?
      I would recommend either using one of the Windows-aware distros like
      Lycoris, Mandrake or Lindows (when the latter is finished), or doing
      the boot manager stuff manually.

      I now usually install to a 2nd harddisk and take the 1st drive out of
      BIOS while testing. In any case I've also messed up the whole system
      and the tool to have is one called "bootpart" (freeware). That will
      even write back the NT boot manager.

      I would in any case tell Linux to write the boot info into the
      partition and not the MBR. Then tell which ever boot manager you use,
      whether Windows, LILO or GRUB which partition the new system is on.
      There are How-tos at the Linux documentation project.

      Marcus