Re: [NTO] ios.VXD

  • Brian Binder
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
      Weird. Sorry! I don't mean to crash your mail client. First I've heard of
      it though...

      In any event - I would personally go with a Virtual PC if you want to mess
      with Linux and don't want to spend the money on hardware.

      VPC is nice in the respect that :

      [1] it's strictly a program
      [2] you can adjust whatever hardware settings you wish
      [3] fully customizable
      [4] No partitions get modified
      [5] "Guest OS" crashes don't affect your main operating system
      [6] You can transfer, delete, modify the "Guest OS" like any other OS
      that you would run without any fuss
      [7] everything is basically "virtual" so when anything starts going bad,
      you can simply delete that file that holds the guest OS without it affecting
      your PC in any way.

      Just a few advantages on a safe alternative.

      Brian

      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
        In any event, I have had the complete opposite results 2 times upon trying
        PM and BM.

        I thought it worked pretty bad - and I had the latest versions.

        You can always say it's operator error, but I sell PM and I have unlimited
        tech support. I'm not new to PM, BM, or dual-booting configs.

        There's issues that Linux impose with any OS in a dual-boot config, but PM
        is currently working on the issues.

        There's flaws in PM that are not so easily explained by their tech support
        either. Heck, even drive size when creating the partitions impose risks
        when doing this.

        When you want a "no-brainer" type of solution to make it as error-free as
        possible, I would still go with VPC.

        There's a lot less risk in losing valuable data, since most people I know
        never backup their systems unfortunately...

        Your solutions still has strong points over mine, no doubt. You aren't
        using shared networking or anything to slow down the speed. VPC and VMWare
        have increased the speed tremendously, and are hoping to make it just like a
        machine that isn't using shared drives or networking, etc.

        One nice feature that they have is the fact that you can map drives to your
        other OS on the system.

        You can even drag-and-drop files into the guest operating system from the
        host, or vice-versa.

        Both solutions have their benefits, but I guess it's all up to you guys to
        decide what path to take.

        B.

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
          How is your system at its present state, Ed? Get anything salvaged?

          Just for the record I used Partition Magic and Boot Magic and it still
          managed to just about destroy all my windows programs. But after all it is
          your call, my advice is still don't do it.
          > But my advice is to forget Linux unless you have a
          > separate computer to put it on.

          If I may be so bold, I disagree completely. Linux and
          Windows can coexist very nicely on the same box, and there
          are, in fact, several advantages to having things configured
          this way. For example, I currently dual-boot between Windows
          2000 and Mandrake Linux 8.2, and the way I have things
          mounted in Linux, I can access the *exact same* data files
          and directories no matter which OS I'm using. As another
          example, I have my Netscape POP mailboxes symbolically
          linked between the two OSs, so I don't have to worry about
          synchronizing the mailboxes, POP state, address books, etc.
          Of course, you could do the same thing using network mounts,
          but it's a couple of degrees easier and faster to actually
          use the same physical machine.

          If you want to run both OSs, my recommendation is to use
          PartitionMagic and BootMagic. It really does work, and it's
          really easy to create separate Linux and Windows partitions
          without destroying your existing Windows partition. That is,
          you can resize your Windows partition and create a Linux
          parition without losing your Windows stuff, which is what
          would happen if you tried to do this using vanilla fdisk.

          If you're simply dead set against subdividing your hard disk
          to create a Linux parition, PartitionMagic notwithstanding,
          you could simply install another hard disk on your machine.
          Windows insists on being the first OS in the boot sector on
          the first disk, but Linux is not so persnickety like that.
          The key when configuring Linux to boot from the second hard
          disk is to make sure that the LILO (or GRUB) boot loader is
          installed on the disk from which you want to boot Linux,
          rather than in the boot sector of the disk from which Windows
          boots. It sounds more complicated than it is. Honestly.

          Regards,

          Scott

          4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/ySSFAA/dkFolB/TM

          .

        • Ed Brown
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
            Not yet Brian, but still working on it I have no idea at this point what the
            final out come will be and it will be a few days before I know as I have
            some other things to do besides spar with computer, who seeminglly has a
            mind of its own. Using a partition with different versions of Windows is
            just fine. Linux is a horse of a different color.

            But I think the problems really come in more with different motherboards,
            different video boards, etc. If yours happen to be the right ones then you
            might be able to run LInux on a partitioned hard drive and have not
            problems. But if things should be just not quite right for Linux, then you
            may run into problems. I agree Partition Magic is excellent, and so is the
            Boot Magic program and the particular Linux program you are using might work
            OK.

            But Windows just doesn't see Linux, and Linux doesn't apparently know
            Windows is there. It will overwrite a window program in a blink of an eye.
            I dont know what happened but some of the people who use both professionally
            say keep 'em on separate hard drives. I will vote yea on that. If you use
            the same Hard Drive partitioned and have no problems, you are doing
            extremely well.
            Ed
            How is your system at its present state, Ed? Get anything salvaged?

            Just for the record I used Partition Magic and Boot Magic and it still
            managed to just about destroy all my windows programs. But after all it is
            your call, my advice is still don't do it.
            > But my advice is to forget Linux unless you have a
            > separate computer to put it on.

            If I may be so bold, I disagree completely. Linux and
            Windows can coexist very nicely on the same box, and there
            are, in fact, several advantages to having things configured
            this way. For example, I currently dual-boot between Windows
            2000 and Mandrake Linux 8.2, and the way I have things
            mounted in Linux, I can access the *exact same* data files
            and directories no matter which OS I'm using. As another
            example, I have my Netscape POP mailboxes symbolically
            linked between the two OSs, so I don't have to worry about
            synchronizing the mailboxes, POP state, address books, etc.
            Of course, you could do the same thing using network mounts,
            but it's a couple of degrees easier and faster to actually
            use the same physical machine.

            If you want to run both OSs, my recommendation is to use
            PartitionMagic and BootMagic. It really does work, and it's
            really easy to create separate Linux and Windows partitions
            without destroying your existing Windows partition. That is,
            you can resize your Windows partition and create a Linux
            parition without losing your Windows stuff, which is what
            would happen if you tried to do this using vanilla fdisk.

            If you're simply dead set against subdividing your hard disk
            to create a Linux parition, PartitionMagic notwithstanding,
            you could simply install another hard disk on your machine.
            Windows insists on being the first OS in the boot sector on
            the first disk, but Linux is not so persnickety like that.
            The key when configuring Linux to boot from the second hard
            disk is to make sure that the LILO (or GRUB) boot loader is
            installed on the disk from which you want to boot Linux,
            rather than in the boot sector of the disk from which Windows
            boots. It sounds more complicated than it is. Honestly.

            Regards,

            Scott

            .

          • Dennis W. Farrell
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
              Just a comment from a spectator: I've had a lot of success with a minimum
              of aggravation using hard drive docks, with one having my Win98 system,
              another with Win2K and a third w/ Linux.

              YMMV

              -- dwf