Re: [NTO] ios.VXD

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 13 10:37 AM
      No problems here at all. But my advice is to forget Linux unless you have a
      separate computer to put it on. IF you go ahead with it, back everything up
      that you have on your computer before you start.
      Ed
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 13 10:46 AM
        Weird. Sorry! I don't mean to crash your mail client. First I've heard of
        it though...

        In any event - I would personally go with a Virtual PC if you want to mess
        with Linux and don't want to spend the money on hardware.

        VPC is nice in the respect that :

        [1] it's strictly a program
        [2] you can adjust whatever hardware settings you wish
        [3] fully customizable
        [4] No partitions get modified
        [5] "Guest OS" crashes don't affect your main operating system
        [6] You can transfer, delete, modify the "Guest OS" like any other OS
        that you would run without any fuss
        [7] everything is basically "virtual" so when anything starts going bad,
        you can simply delete that file that holds the guest OS without it affecting
        your PC in any way.

        Just a few advantages on a safe alternative.

        Brian Binder wrote:

        > My own advice...
        >
        > Don't use a partitioning utility at all for Linux.
        >
        > What I would do if you want it on the same partition is to buy a program
        > do it.
        >
        > There's 2 that come to mind that I have used.
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .

        First problem message

        Brian Binder wrote:
        > I hear ya. Sorry - I didn't see the message where your system was down and
        > couldn't be booted to safe mode.
        >

        > I have an FTP server that I use so people can download files from me. It
        > comes in handy when people need things.
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .

        4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/ySSFAA/dkFolB/TM

        .

      • Scott Fordin
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 13 11:34 AM
          Ed Brown wrote:

          > But my advice is to forget Linux unless you have a
          > separate computer to put it on.

          If I may be so bold, I disagree completely. Linux and
          Windows can coexist very nicely on the same box, and there
          are, in fact, several advantages to having things configured
          this way. For example, I currently dual-boot between Windows
          2000 and Mandrake Linux 8.2, and the way I have things
          mounted in Linux, I can access the *exact same* data files
          and directories no matter which OS I'm using. As another
          example, I have my Netscape POP mailboxes symbolically
          linked between the two OSs, so I don't have to worry about
          synchronizing the mailboxes, POP state, address books, etc.
          Of course, you could do the same thing using network mounts,
          but it's a couple of degrees easier and faster to actually
          use the same physical machine.

          If you want to run both OSs, my recommendation is to use
          PartitionMagic and BootMagic. It really does work, and it's
          really easy to create separate Linux and Windows partitions
          without destroying your existing Windows partition. That is,
          you can resize your Windows partition and create a Linux
          parition without losing your Windows stuff, which is what
          would happen if you tried to do this using vanilla fdisk.

          If you're simply dead set against subdividing your hard disk
          to create a Linux parition, PartitionMagic notwithstanding,
          you could simply install another hard disk on your machine.
          Windows insists on being the first OS in the boot sector on
          the first disk, but Linux is not so persnickety like that.
          The key when configuring Linux to boot from the second hard
          disk is to make sure that the LILO (or GRUB) boot loader is
          installed on the disk from which you want to boot Linux,
          rather than in the boot sector of the disk from which Windows
          boots. It sounds more complicated than it is. Honestly.

          Regards,

          Scott
        • Brian Binder
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 13 11:45 AM
            In any event, I have had the complete opposite results 2 times upon trying
            PM and BM.

            I thought it worked pretty bad - and I had the latest versions.

            You can always say it's operator error, but I sell PM and I have unlimited
            tech support. I'm not new to PM, BM, or dual-booting configs.

            There's issues that Linux impose with any OS in a dual-boot config, but PM
            is currently working on the issues.

            There's flaws in PM that are not so easily explained by their tech support
            either. Heck, even drive size when creating the partitions impose risks
            when doing this.

            When you want a "no-brainer" type of solution to make it as error-free as
            possible, I would still go with VPC.

            There's a lot less risk in losing valuable data, since most people I know
            never backup their systems unfortunately...

            Your solutions still has strong points over mine, no doubt. You aren't
            using shared networking or anything to slow down the speed. VPC and VMWare
            have increased the speed tremendously, and are hoping to make it just like a
            machine that isn't using shared drives or networking, etc.

            One nice feature that they have is the fact that you can map drives to your
            other OS on the system.

            You can even drag-and-drop files into the guest operating system from the
            host, or vice-versa.

            Both solutions have their benefits, but I guess it's all up to you guys to
            decide what path to take.

            B.

            > But my advice is to forget Linux unless you have a
            > separate computer to put it on.

            If I may be so bold, I disagree completely. Linux and
            Windows can coexist very nicely on the same box, and there
            are, in fact, several advantages to having things configured
            this way. For example, I currently dual-boot between Windows
            2000 and Mandrake Linux 8.2, and the way I have things
            mounted in Linux, I can access the *exact same* data files
            and directories no matter which OS I'm using. As another
            example, I have my Netscape POP mailboxes symbolically
            linked between the two OSs, so I don't have to worry about
            synchronizing the mailboxes, POP state, address books, etc.
            Of course, you could do the same thing using network mounts,
            but it's a couple of degrees easier and faster to actually
            use the same physical machine.

            If you want to run both OSs, my recommendation is to use
            PartitionMagic and BootMagic. It really does work, and it's
            really easy to create separate Linux and Windows partitions
            without destroying your existing Windows partition. That is,
            you can resize your Windows partition and create a Linux
            parition without losing your Windows stuff, which is what
            would happen if you tried to do this using vanilla fdisk.

            If you're simply dead set against subdividing your hard disk
            to create a Linux parition, PartitionMagic notwithstanding,
            you could simply install another hard disk on your machine.
            Windows insists on being the first OS in the boot sector on
            the first disk, but Linux is not so persnickety like that.
            The key when configuring Linux to boot from the second hard
            disk is to make sure that the LILO (or GRUB) boot loader is
            installed on the disk from which you want to boot Linux,
            rather than in the boot sector of the disk from which Windows
            boots. It sounds more complicated than it is. Honestly.

            Regards,

            Scott

            4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/ySSFAA/dkFolB/TM

            .

          • Bob Garsson
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 13 12:41 PM
              It came in just fine in IE6.

              At 10:09 AM 8/13/2002 -0700, you wrote:
              >Hi Brian,
              >
              >The last two messages that you have sent have been generating errors that
              >make Netscape Communicator 4.79 crash. If I go to AT&T first, and delete
              >only your message, then everything downloads OK.
              >
              >Is anyone else having this problem? Could it be a problem with Netscape
              >Communicator 4.79 only? Anyone else using 4.79? Could it be AT&T
              >only? None of my hundreds of other e-mail has any problems.
              >
              >DA
              >

              >Last problem message
              >
              >Brian Binder wrote:
              > >
              > > My own advice...
              > >
              > > Don't use a partitioning utility at all for Linux.
              > >
              > > What I would do if you want it on the same partition is to buy a program to
              > > do it.
              > >
              > > There's 2 that come to mind that I have used.
              > > .
              > > .
              > > .
              > > .
              >

              >First problem message
              >
              >Brian Binder wrote:
              > > I hear ya. Sorry - I didn't see the message where your system was down and
              > > couldn't be booted to safe mode.
              > >

              > > I have an FTP server that I use so people can download files from me. It
              > > comes in handy when people need things.
              > > .
              > > .
              > > .
              > > .

            • Ed Brown
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 13 1:00 PM
                Just for the record I used Partition Magic and Boot Magic and it still
                managed to just about destroy all my windows programs. But after all it is
                your call, my advice is still don't do it.
                > But my advice is to forget Linux unless you have a
                > separate computer to put it on.

                If I may be so bold, I disagree completely. Linux and
                Windows can coexist very nicely on the same box, and there
                are, in fact, several advantages to having things configured
                this way. For example, I currently dual-boot between Windows
                2000 and Mandrake Linux 8.2, and the way I have things
                mounted in Linux, I can access the *exact same* data files
                and directories no matter which OS I'm using. As another
                example, I have my Netscape POP mailboxes symbolically
                linked between the two OSs, so I don't have to worry about
                synchronizing the mailboxes, POP state, address books, etc.
                Of course, you could do the same thing using network mounts,
                but it's a couple of degrees easier and faster to actually
                use the same physical machine.

                If you want to run both OSs, my recommendation is to use
                PartitionMagic and BootMagic. It really does work, and it's
                really easy to create separate Linux and Windows partitions
                without destroying your existing Windows partition. That is,
                you can resize your Windows partition and create a Linux
                parition without losing your Windows stuff, which is what
                would happen if you tried to do this using vanilla fdisk.

                If you're simply dead set against subdividing your hard disk
                to create a Linux parition, PartitionMagic notwithstanding,
                you could simply install another hard disk on your machine.
                Windows insists on being the first OS in the boot sector on
                the first disk, but Linux is not so persnickety like that.
                The key when configuring Linux to boot from the second hard
                disk is to make sure that the LILO (or GRUB) boot loader is
                installed on the disk from which you want to boot Linux,
                rather than in the boot sector of the disk from which Windows
                boots. It sounds more complicated than it is. Honestly.

                Regards,

                Scott

              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 13 1:07 PM
                  > Scott Fordin wrote:
                  >
                  > If you want to run both OSs, my recommendation is to use
                  > PartitionMagic and BootMagic. It really does work, and it's
                  > really easy to create separate Linux and Windows partitions
                  > without destroying your existing Windows partition. That is,
                  > you can resize your Windows partition and create a Linux
                  > partition without losing your Windows stuff, which is what
                  > would happen if you tried to do this using vanilla fdisk.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Scott

                  Ed, Scott,

                  I second the recommendation for using PartitionMagic. I haven't used
                  Bootmagic yet but, I'm sure the day is coming.

                  I've used PartitionMagic a few years now and it has never created a problem.

                  hrs
                • Brian Binder
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 13 1:08 PM
                    How is your system at its present state, Ed? Get anything salvaged?

                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 13 2:07 PM
                      Hi Ed, Scott, Harvey, et al

                      I have been using Vtec's System Commander/Partition Commander for
                      several years now to create, Resize, Copy and Delete partitions
                      and to boot between alternate OS's with no problems. I have
                      avoided having to reload damaged programs and systems many times
                      and have been able to completely remove unwanted problem programs
                      by reloading the primary partition from the backup partition.
                      I have not used Linex but With System Commander you can boot using
                      alternate OSs on one HDD with no problem.

                      BTW, with Windows on the primary HDD and Linex on the secondary HDD
                      you can then place a backup copy of each OS's partition on the
                      other HDD. 8-))

                      Regards, Len

                      >I second the recommendation for using PartitionMagic. I haven't used
                      >Bootmagic yet but, I'm sure the day is coming.
                      >
                      >I've used PartitionMagic a few years now and it has never created a problem.
                      >
                      >hrs
                    • Len
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 13 2:55 PM
                        Hi Ed, Scott, Harvey, et al

                        Corrected: V-Com Not Vtec, Linux Not Linex
                        http://www.v-com.com/

                        I have been using V-Com's System Commander/Partition Commander for
                        several years now to create, Resize, Copy and Delete partitions
                        and to boot between alternate OS's with no problems. I have
                        avoided having to reload damaged programs and systems many times
                        and have been able to completely remove unwanted problem programs
                        by reloading the primary partition from the backup partition.
                        I have not used Linux but With System Commander you can boot using
                        alternate OSs on one HDD with no problem.

                        BTW, with Windows on the primary HDD and Linux on the secondary HDD
                        you can then place a backup copy of each OS's partition on the
                        other HDD. 8-))

                        Regards, Len

                        >I second the recommendation for using PartitionMagic. I haven't used
                        >Bootmagic yet but, I'm sure the day is coming.
                        >
                        >I've used PartitionMagic a few years now and it has never created a problem.
                        >
                        >hrs

                      • Ed Brown
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 13 4:15 PM
                          Not yet Brian, but still working on it I have no idea at this point what the
                          final out come will be and it will be a few days before I know as I have
                          some other things to do besides spar with computer, who seeminglly has a
                          mind of its own. Using a partition with different versions of Windows is
                          just fine. Linux is a horse of a different color.

                          But I think the problems really come in more with different motherboards,
                          different video boards, etc. If yours happen to be the right ones then you
                          might be able to run LInux on a partitioned hard drive and have not
                          problems. But if things should be just not quite right for Linux, then you
                          may run into problems. I agree Partition Magic is excellent, and so is the
                          Boot Magic program and the particular Linux program you are using might work
                          OK.

                          But Windows just doesn't see Linux, and Linux doesn't apparently know
                          Windows is there. It will overwrite a window program in a blink of an eye.
                          I dont know what happened but some of the people who use both professionally
                          say keep 'em on separate hard drives. I will vote yea on that. If you use
                          the same Hard Drive partitioned and have no problems, you are doing
                          extremely well.
                          Ed
                          How is your system at its present state, Ed? Get anything salvaged?

                          Just for the record I used Partition Magic and Boot Magic and it still
                          managed to just about destroy all my windows programs. But after all it is
                          your call, my advice is still don't do it.
                          > But my advice is to forget Linux unless you have a
                          > separate computer to put it on.

                          If I may be so bold, I disagree completely. Linux and
                          Windows can coexist very nicely on the same box, and there
                          are, in fact, several advantages to having things configured
                          this way. For example, I currently dual-boot between Windows
                          2000 and Mandrake Linux 8.2, and the way I have things
                          mounted in Linux, I can access the *exact same* data files
                          and directories no matter which OS I'm using. As another
                          example, I have my Netscape POP mailboxes symbolically
                          linked between the two OSs, so I don't have to worry about
                          synchronizing the mailboxes, POP state, address books, etc.
                          Of course, you could do the same thing using network mounts,
                          but it's a couple of degrees easier and faster to actually
                          use the same physical machine.

                          If you want to run both OSs, my recommendation is to use
                          PartitionMagic and BootMagic. It really does work, and it's
                          really easy to create separate Linux and Windows partitions
                          without destroying your existing Windows partition. That is,
                          you can resize your Windows partition and create a Linux
                          parition without losing your Windows stuff, which is what
                          would happen if you tried to do this using vanilla fdisk.

                          If you're simply dead set against subdividing your hard disk
                          to create a Linux parition, PartitionMagic notwithstanding,
                          you could simply install another hard disk on your machine.
                          Windows insists on being the first OS in the boot sector on
                          the first disk, but Linux is not so persnickety like that.
                          The key when configuring Linux to boot from the second hard
                          disk is to make sure that the LILO (or GRUB) boot loader is
                          installed on the disk from which you want to boot Linux,
                          rather than in the boot sector of the disk from which Windows
                          boots. It sounds more complicated than it is. Honestly.

                          Regards,

                          Scott

                          .

                        • Dennis W. Farrell
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 13 5:18 PM
                            Just a comment from a spectator: I've had a lot of success with a minimum
                            of aggravation using hard drive docks, with one having my Win98 system,
                            another with Win2K and a third w/ Linux.

                            YMMV

                            -- dwf