Re: [NTO] ios.VXD

  • DA
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
      Hi Brian,

      The last two messages that you have sent have been generating errors that make Netscape Communicator 4.79 crash. If I go to AT&T first, and delete only your message, then everything downloads OK.

      Is anyone else having this problem? Could it be a problem with Netscape Communicator 4.79 only? Anyone else using 4.79? Could it be AT&T only? None of my hundreds of other e-mail has any problems.

      DA

      Last problem message

      Brian Binder wrote:

      > My own advice...
      >
      > Don't use a partitioning utility at all for Linux.
      >
      > What I would do if you want it on the same partition is to buy a program to
      > do it.
      >
      > There's 2 that come to mind that I have used.
      > .
      > .
      > .
      > .

      First problem message

      Brian Binder wrote:
      > I hear ya. Sorry - I didn't see the message where your system was down and
      > couldn't be booted to safe mode.
      >

      > I have an FTP server that I use so people can download files from me. It
      > comes in handy when people need things.
      > .
      > .
      > .
      > .
    • Ed Brown
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
        No problems here at all. But my advice is to forget Linux unless you have a
        separate computer to put it on. IF you go ahead with it, back everything up
        that you have on your computer before you start.
        Ed

        Brian Binder wrote:

        > My own advice...
        >
        > Don't use a partitioning utility at all for Linux.
        >
        > What I would do if you want it on the same partition is to buy a program
        > do it.
        >
        > There's 2 that come to mind that I have used.
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .

        First problem message

        Brian Binder wrote:
        > I hear ya. Sorry - I didn't see the message where your system was down
        and
        > couldn't be booted to safe mode.
        >

        > I have an FTP server that I use so people can download files from me. It
        > comes in handy when people need things.
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > .

      • Brian Binder
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
          Weird. Sorry! I don't mean to crash your mail client. First I've heard of
          it though...

          In any event - I would personally go with a Virtual PC if you want to mess
          with Linux and don't want to spend the money on hardware.

          VPC is nice in the respect that :

          [1] it's strictly a program
          [2] you can adjust whatever hardware settings you wish
          [3] fully customizable
          [4] No partitions get modified
          [5] "Guest OS" crashes don't affect your main operating system
          [6] You can transfer, delete, modify the "Guest OS" like any other OS
          that you would run without any fuss
          [7] everything is basically "virtual" so when anything starts going bad,
          you can simply delete that file that holds the guest OS without it affecting
          your PC in any way.

          Just a few advantages on a safe alternative.

          Brian Binder wrote:

          > My own advice...
          >
          > Don't use a partitioning utility at all for Linux.
          >
          > What I would do if you want it on the same partition is to buy a program
          > do it.
          >
          > There's 2 that come to mind that I have used.
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .

          First problem message

          Brian Binder wrote:
          > I hear ya. Sorry - I didn't see the message where your system was down and
          > couldn't be booted to safe mode.
          >

          > I have an FTP server that I use so people can download files from me. It
          > comes in handy when people need things.
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .

          4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/ySSFAA/dkFolB/TM

          .

        • Scott Fordin
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
            Ed Brown wrote:

            > But my advice is to forget Linux unless you have a
            > separate computer to put it on.

            If I may be so bold, I disagree completely. Linux and
            Windows can coexist very nicely on the same box, and there
            are, in fact, several advantages to having things configured
            this way. For example, I currently dual-boot between Windows
            2000 and Mandrake Linux 8.2, and the way I have things
            mounted in Linux, I can access the *exact same* data files
            and directories no matter which OS I'm using. As another
            example, I have my Netscape POP mailboxes symbolically
            linked between the two OSs, so I don't have to worry about
            synchronizing the mailboxes, POP state, address books, etc.
            Of course, you could do the same thing using network mounts,
            but it's a couple of degrees easier and faster to actually
            use the same physical machine.

            If you want to run both OSs, my recommendation is to use
            PartitionMagic and BootMagic. It really does work, and it's
            really easy to create separate Linux and Windows partitions
            without destroying your existing Windows partition. That is,
            you can resize your Windows partition and create a Linux
            parition without losing your Windows stuff, which is what
            would happen if you tried to do this using vanilla fdisk.

            If you're simply dead set against subdividing your hard disk
            to create a Linux parition, PartitionMagic notwithstanding,
            you could simply install another hard disk on your machine.
            Windows insists on being the first OS in the boot sector on
            the first disk, but Linux is not so persnickety like that.
            The key when configuring Linux to boot from the second hard
            disk is to make sure that the LILO (or GRUB) boot loader is
            installed on the disk from which you want to boot Linux,
            rather than in the boot sector of the disk from which Windows
            boots. It sounds more complicated than it is. Honestly.

            Regards,

            Scott
          • Brian Binder
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
              In any event, I have had the complete opposite results 2 times upon trying
              PM and BM.

              I thought it worked pretty bad - and I had the latest versions.

              You can always say it's operator error, but I sell PM and I have unlimited
              tech support. I'm not new to PM, BM, or dual-booting configs.

              There's issues that Linux impose with any OS in a dual-boot config, but PM
              is currently working on the issues.

              There's flaws in PM that are not so easily explained by their tech support
              either. Heck, even drive size when creating the partitions impose risks
              when doing this.

              When you want a "no-brainer" type of solution to make it as error-free as
              possible, I would still go with VPC.

              There's a lot less risk in losing valuable data, since most people I know
              never backup their systems unfortunately...

              Your solutions still has strong points over mine, no doubt. You aren't
              using shared networking or anything to slow down the speed. VPC and VMWare
              have increased the speed tremendously, and are hoping to make it just like a
              machine that isn't using shared drives or networking, etc.

              One nice feature that they have is the fact that you can map drives to your
              other OS on the system.

              You can even drag-and-drop files into the guest operating system from the
              host, or vice-versa.

              Both solutions have their benefits, but I guess it's all up to you guys to
              decide what path to take.

              B.

              > But my advice is to forget Linux unless you have a
              > separate computer to put it on.

              If I may be so bold, I disagree completely. Linux and
              Windows can coexist very nicely on the same box, and there
              are, in fact, several advantages to having things configured
              this way. For example, I currently dual-boot between Windows
              2000 and Mandrake Linux 8.2, and the way I have things
              mounted in Linux, I can access the *exact same* data files
              and directories no matter which OS I'm using. As another
              example, I have my Netscape POP mailboxes symbolically
              linked between the two OSs, so I don't have to worry about
              synchronizing the mailboxes, POP state, address books, etc.
              Of course, you could do the same thing using network mounts,
              but it's a couple of degrees easier and faster to actually
              use the same physical machine.

              If you want to run both OSs, my recommendation is to use
              PartitionMagic and BootMagic. It really does work, and it's
              really easy to create separate Linux and Windows partitions
              without destroying your existing Windows partition. That is,
              you can resize your Windows partition and create a Linux
              parition without losing your Windows stuff, which is what
              would happen if you tried to do this using vanilla fdisk.

              If you're simply dead set against subdividing your hard disk
              to create a Linux parition, PartitionMagic notwithstanding,
              you could simply install another hard disk on your machine.
              Windows insists on being the first OS in the boot sector on
              the first disk, but Linux is not so persnickety like that.
              The key when configuring Linux to boot from the second hard
              disk is to make sure that the LILO (or GRUB) boot loader is
              installed on the disk from which you want to boot Linux,
              rather than in the boot sector of the disk from which Windows
              boots. It sounds more complicated than it is. Honestly.

              Regards,

              Scott

              4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/ySSFAA/dkFolB/TM

              .

            • Bob Garsson
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                It came in just fine in IE6.

                At 10:09 AM 8/13/2002 -0700, you wrote:
                >Hi Brian,
                >
                >The last two messages that you have sent have been generating errors that
                >make Netscape Communicator 4.79 crash. If I go to AT&T first, and delete
                >only your message, then everything downloads OK.
                >
                >Is anyone else having this problem? Could it be a problem with Netscape
                >Communicator 4.79 only? Anyone else using 4.79? Could it be AT&T
                >only? None of my hundreds of other e-mail has any problems.
                >
                >DA
                >

                >Last problem message
                >
                >Brian Binder wrote:
                > >
                > > My own advice...
                > >
                > > Don't use a partitioning utility at all for Linux.
                > >
                > > What I would do if you want it on the same partition is to buy a program to
                > > do it.
                > >
                > > There's 2 that come to mind that I have used.
                > > .
                > > .
                > > .
                > > .
                >

                >First problem message
                >
                >Brian Binder wrote:
                > > I hear ya. Sorry - I didn't see the message where your system was down and
                > > couldn't be booted to safe mode.
                > >

                > > I have an FTP server that I use so people can download files from me. It
                > > comes in handy when people need things.
                > > .
                > > .
                > > .
                > > .

              • Ed Brown
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                  Just for the record I used Partition Magic and Boot Magic and it still
                  managed to just about destroy all my windows programs. But after all it is
                  your call, my advice is still don't do it.
                  > But my advice is to forget Linux unless you have a
                  > separate computer to put it on.

                  If I may be so bold, I disagree completely. Linux and
                  Windows can coexist very nicely on the same box, and there
                  are, in fact, several advantages to having things configured
                  this way. For example, I currently dual-boot between Windows
                  2000 and Mandrake Linux 8.2, and the way I have things
                  mounted in Linux, I can access the *exact same* data files
                  and directories no matter which OS I'm using. As another
                  example, I have my Netscape POP mailboxes symbolically
                  linked between the two OSs, so I don't have to worry about
                  synchronizing the mailboxes, POP state, address books, etc.
                  Of course, you could do the same thing using network mounts,
                  but it's a couple of degrees easier and faster to actually
                  use the same physical machine.

                  If you want to run both OSs, my recommendation is to use
                  PartitionMagic and BootMagic. It really does work, and it's
                  really easy to create separate Linux and Windows partitions
                  without destroying your existing Windows partition. That is,
                  you can resize your Windows partition and create a Linux
                  parition without losing your Windows stuff, which is what
                  would happen if you tried to do this using vanilla fdisk.

                  If you're simply dead set against subdividing your hard disk
                  to create a Linux parition, PartitionMagic notwithstanding,
                  you could simply install another hard disk on your machine.
                  Windows insists on being the first OS in the boot sector on
                  the first disk, but Linux is not so persnickety like that.
                  The key when configuring Linux to boot from the second hard
                  disk is to make sure that the LILO (or GRUB) boot loader is
                  installed on the disk from which you want to boot Linux,
                  rather than in the boot sector of the disk from which Windows
                  boots. It sounds more complicated than it is. Honestly.

                  Regards,

                  Scott

                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                    > Scott Fordin wrote:
                    >
                    > If you want to run both OSs, my recommendation is to use
                    > PartitionMagic and BootMagic. It really does work, and it's
                    > really easy to create separate Linux and Windows partitions
                    > without destroying your existing Windows partition. That is,
                    > you can resize your Windows partition and create a Linux
                    > partition without losing your Windows stuff, which is what
                    > would happen if you tried to do this using vanilla fdisk.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Scott

                    Ed, Scott,

                    I second the recommendation for using PartitionMagic. I haven't used
                    Bootmagic yet but, I'm sure the day is coming.

                    I've used PartitionMagic a few years now and it has never created a problem.

                    hrs
                  • Brian Binder
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                      How is your system at its present state, Ed? Get anything salvaged?

                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                        Hi Ed, Scott, Harvey, et al

                        I have been using Vtec's System Commander/Partition Commander for
                        several years now to create, Resize, Copy and Delete partitions
                        and to boot between alternate OS's with no problems. I have
                        avoided having to reload damaged programs and systems many times
                        and have been able to completely remove unwanted problem programs
                        by reloading the primary partition from the backup partition.
                        I have not used Linex but With System Commander you can boot using
                        alternate OSs on one HDD with no problem.

                        BTW, with Windows on the primary HDD and Linex on the secondary HDD
                        you can then place a backup copy of each OS's partition on the
                        other HDD. 8-))

                        Regards, Len

                        >I second the recommendation for using PartitionMagic. I haven't used
                        >Bootmagic yet but, I'm sure the day is coming.
                        >
                        >I've used PartitionMagic a few years now and it has never created a problem.
                        >
                        >hrs
                      • Len
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                          Hi Ed, Scott, Harvey, et al

                          Corrected: V-Com Not Vtec, Linux Not Linex
                          http://www.v-com.com/

                          I have been using V-Com's System Commander/Partition Commander for
                          several years now to create, Resize, Copy and Delete partitions
                          and to boot between alternate OS's with no problems. I have
                          avoided having to reload damaged programs and systems many times
                          and have been able to completely remove unwanted problem programs
                          by reloading the primary partition from the backup partition.
                          I have not used Linux but With System Commander you can boot using
                          alternate OSs on one HDD with no problem.

                          BTW, with Windows on the primary HDD and Linux on the secondary HDD
                          you can then place a backup copy of each OS's partition on the
                          other HDD. 8-))

                          Regards, Len

                          >I second the recommendation for using PartitionMagic. I haven't used
                          >Bootmagic yet but, I'm sure the day is coming.
                          >
                          >I've used PartitionMagic a few years now and it has never created a problem.
                          >
                          >hrs

                        • Ed Brown
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                            Not yet Brian, but still working on it I have no idea at this point what the
                            final out come will be and it will be a few days before I know as I have
                            some other things to do besides spar with computer, who seeminglly has a
                            mind of its own. Using a partition with different versions of Windows is
                            just fine. Linux is a horse of a different color.

                            But I think the problems really come in more with different motherboards,
                            different video boards, etc. If yours happen to be the right ones then you
                            might be able to run LInux on a partitioned hard drive and have not
                            problems. But if things should be just not quite right for Linux, then you
                            may run into problems. I agree Partition Magic is excellent, and so is the
                            Boot Magic program and the particular Linux program you are using might work
                            OK.

                            But Windows just doesn't see Linux, and Linux doesn't apparently know
                            Windows is there. It will overwrite a window program in a blink of an eye.
                            I dont know what happened but some of the people who use both professionally
                            say keep 'em on separate hard drives. I will vote yea on that. If you use
                            the same Hard Drive partitioned and have no problems, you are doing
                            extremely well.
                            Ed
                            How is your system at its present state, Ed? Get anything salvaged?

                            Just for the record I used Partition Magic and Boot Magic and it still
                            managed to just about destroy all my windows programs. But after all it is
                            your call, my advice is still don't do it.
                            > But my advice is to forget Linux unless you have a
                            > separate computer to put it on.

                            If I may be so bold, I disagree completely. Linux and
                            Windows can coexist very nicely on the same box, and there
                            are, in fact, several advantages to having things configured
                            this way. For example, I currently dual-boot between Windows
                            2000 and Mandrake Linux 8.2, and the way I have things
                            mounted in Linux, I can access the *exact same* data files
                            and directories no matter which OS I'm using. As another
                            example, I have my Netscape POP mailboxes symbolically
                            linked between the two OSs, so I don't have to worry about
                            synchronizing the mailboxes, POP state, address books, etc.
                            Of course, you could do the same thing using network mounts,
                            but it's a couple of degrees easier and faster to actually
                            use the same physical machine.

                            If you want to run both OSs, my recommendation is to use
                            PartitionMagic and BootMagic. It really does work, and it's
                            really easy to create separate Linux and Windows partitions
                            without destroying your existing Windows partition. That is,
                            you can resize your Windows partition and create a Linux
                            parition without losing your Windows stuff, which is what
                            would happen if you tried to do this using vanilla fdisk.

                            If you're simply dead set against subdividing your hard disk
                            to create a Linux parition, PartitionMagic notwithstanding,
                            you could simply install another hard disk on your machine.
                            Windows insists on being the first OS in the boot sector on
                            the first disk, but Linux is not so persnickety like that.
                            The key when configuring Linux to boot from the second hard
                            disk is to make sure that the LILO (or GRUB) boot loader is
                            installed on the disk from which you want to boot Linux,
                            rather than in the boot sector of the disk from which Windows
                            boots. It sounds more complicated than it is. Honestly.

                            Regards,

                            Scott

                            .

                          • Dennis W. Farrell
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                              Just a comment from a spectator: I've had a lot of success with a minimum
                              of aggravation using hard drive docks, with one having my Win98 system,
                              another with Win2K and a third w/ Linux.

                              YMMV

                              -- dwf