Re: [NTO] ios.VXD

  • Bob Garsson
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
      I want to move to Linux but I'd like to avoid the hassle of repartitioning
      the hard drive. Can you tell me how to put Linux and windows in the same
      partition? I've searched my hard drive an I don't have ios.vxd. Running WinXP.
      TIA,
      Bob

      At 11:57 AM 8/12/2002 -0500, you wrote:
      >Thanks to everyone who replied and sent the file. I have it now and will
      >install it and see what happens next in this fun filled chapter of trying to
      >put Linux OS and Windows OS on the same partitioned hard drive.

    • Brian Binder
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
        My own advice...

        Don't use a partitioning utility at all for Linux.

        What I would do if you want it on the same partition is to buy a program to
        do it.

        There's 2 that come to mind that I have used.

        One is VMWare's VM Workstation from www.vmware.com
        The other is Connectix Virtual PC from www.connectix.com

        Connectix Virtual PC has worked better than VMWare in all my tests of it, as
        far as speed and reliability.

        Virtual PC is also very platform independent.

        VMWare ties itself more with your hardware. It's not as easy as taking the
        images from VMWare and transferring them to a different PC, if you wanted to
        do it on a totally different computer.

        Virtual PC allows you to take the same Linux, or whatever image you made and
        use it on 100 totally different computers with all different platforms -
        provided you have the licensing.

        VMWare's product kinda groans about different hardware configs, and you have
        to use its tool to defrag the drive if it gets transferred, because it makes
        it inconsistent, etc.

        I would just use Virtual PC; I have never gone wrong using it.

        Just my 2 cents.

        I want to move to Linux but I'd like to avoid the hassle of repartitioning
        the hard drive. Can you tell me how to put Linux and windows in the same
        partition? I've searched my hard drive an I don't have ios.vxd. Running
        WinXP.
        TIA,
        Bob

        At 11:57 AM 8/12/2002 -0500, you wrote:
        >Thanks to everyone who replied and sent the file. I have it now and will
        >install it and see what happens next in this fun filled chapter of trying
        >put Linux OS and Windows OS on the same partitioned hard drive.

        4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/ySSFAA/dkFolB/TM

        .

      • DA
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
          Hi Brian,

          The last two messages that you have sent have been generating errors that make Netscape Communicator 4.79 crash. If I go to AT&T first, and delete only your message, then everything downloads OK.

          Is anyone else having this problem? Could it be a problem with Netscape Communicator 4.79 only? Anyone else using 4.79? Could it be AT&T only? None of my hundreds of other e-mail has any problems.

          DA

          Last problem message

          Brian Binder wrote:

          > My own advice...
          >
          > Don't use a partitioning utility at all for Linux.
          >
          > What I would do if you want it on the same partition is to buy a program to
          > do it.
          >
          > There's 2 that come to mind that I have used.
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .

          First problem message

          Brian Binder wrote:
          > I hear ya. Sorry - I didn't see the message where your system was down and
          > couldn't be booted to safe mode.
          >

          > I have an FTP server that I use so people can download files from me. It
          > comes in handy when people need things.
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
        • Ed Brown
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
            No problems here at all. But my advice is to forget Linux unless you have a
            separate computer to put it on. IF you go ahead with it, back everything up
            that you have on your computer before you start.
            Ed

            Brian Binder wrote:

            > My own advice...
            >
            > Don't use a partitioning utility at all for Linux.
            >
            > What I would do if you want it on the same partition is to buy a program
            > do it.
            >
            > There's 2 that come to mind that I have used.
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .

            First problem message

            Brian Binder wrote:
            > I hear ya. Sorry - I didn't see the message where your system was down
            and
            > couldn't be booted to safe mode.
            >

            > I have an FTP server that I use so people can download files from me. It
            > comes in handy when people need things.
            > .
            > .
            > .
            > .

          • Brian Binder
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
              Weird. Sorry! I don't mean to crash your mail client. First I've heard of
              it though...

              In any event - I would personally go with a Virtual PC if you want to mess
              with Linux and don't want to spend the money on hardware.

              VPC is nice in the respect that :

              [1] it's strictly a program
              [2] you can adjust whatever hardware settings you wish
              [3] fully customizable
              [4] No partitions get modified
              [5] "Guest OS" crashes don't affect your main operating system
              [6] You can transfer, delete, modify the "Guest OS" like any other OS
              that you would run without any fuss
              [7] everything is basically "virtual" so when anything starts going bad,
              you can simply delete that file that holds the guest OS without it affecting
              your PC in any way.

              Just a few advantages on a safe alternative.

              Brian Binder wrote:

              > My own advice...
              >
              > Don't use a partitioning utility at all for Linux.
              >
              > What I would do if you want it on the same partition is to buy a program
              > do it.
              >
              > There's 2 that come to mind that I have used.
              > .
              > .
              > .
              > .

              First problem message

              Brian Binder wrote:
              > I hear ya. Sorry - I didn't see the message where your system was down and
              > couldn't be booted to safe mode.
              >

              > I have an FTP server that I use so people can download files from me. It
              > comes in handy when people need things.
              > .
              > .
              > .
              > .

              4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/ySSFAA/dkFolB/TM

              .

            • Scott Fordin
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                Ed Brown wrote:

                > But my advice is to forget Linux unless you have a
                > separate computer to put it on.

                If I may be so bold, I disagree completely. Linux and
                Windows can coexist very nicely on the same box, and there
                are, in fact, several advantages to having things configured
                this way. For example, I currently dual-boot between Windows
                2000 and Mandrake Linux 8.2, and the way I have things
                mounted in Linux, I can access the *exact same* data files
                and directories no matter which OS I'm using. As another
                example, I have my Netscape POP mailboxes symbolically
                linked between the two OSs, so I don't have to worry about
                synchronizing the mailboxes, POP state, address books, etc.
                Of course, you could do the same thing using network mounts,
                but it's a couple of degrees easier and faster to actually
                use the same physical machine.

                If you want to run both OSs, my recommendation is to use
                PartitionMagic and BootMagic. It really does work, and it's
                really easy to create separate Linux and Windows partitions
                without destroying your existing Windows partition. That is,
                you can resize your Windows partition and create a Linux
                parition without losing your Windows stuff, which is what
                would happen if you tried to do this using vanilla fdisk.

                If you're simply dead set against subdividing your hard disk
                to create a Linux parition, PartitionMagic notwithstanding,
                you could simply install another hard disk on your machine.
                Windows insists on being the first OS in the boot sector on
                the first disk, but Linux is not so persnickety like that.
                The key when configuring Linux to boot from the second hard
                disk is to make sure that the LILO (or GRUB) boot loader is
                installed on the disk from which you want to boot Linux,
                rather than in the boot sector of the disk from which Windows
                boots. It sounds more complicated than it is. Honestly.

                Regards,

                Scott
              • Brian Binder
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                  In any event, I have had the complete opposite results 2 times upon trying
                  PM and BM.

                  I thought it worked pretty bad - and I had the latest versions.

                  You can always say it's operator error, but I sell PM and I have unlimited
                  tech support. I'm not new to PM, BM, or dual-booting configs.

                  There's issues that Linux impose with any OS in a dual-boot config, but PM
                  is currently working on the issues.

                  There's flaws in PM that are not so easily explained by their tech support
                  either. Heck, even drive size when creating the partitions impose risks
                  when doing this.

                  When you want a "no-brainer" type of solution to make it as error-free as
                  possible, I would still go with VPC.

                  There's a lot less risk in losing valuable data, since most people I know
                  never backup their systems unfortunately...

                  Your solutions still has strong points over mine, no doubt. You aren't
                  using shared networking or anything to slow down the speed. VPC and VMWare
                  have increased the speed tremendously, and are hoping to make it just like a
                  machine that isn't using shared drives or networking, etc.

                  One nice feature that they have is the fact that you can map drives to your
                  other OS on the system.

                  You can even drag-and-drop files into the guest operating system from the
                  host, or vice-versa.

                  Both solutions have their benefits, but I guess it's all up to you guys to
                  decide what path to take.

                  B.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                    It came in just fine in IE6.

                    At 10:09 AM 8/13/2002 -0700, you wrote:
                    >Hi Brian,
                    >
                    >The last two messages that you have sent have been generating errors that
                    >make Netscape Communicator 4.79 crash. If I go to AT&T first, and delete
                    >only your message, then everything downloads OK.
                    >
                    >Is anyone else having this problem? Could it be a problem with Netscape
                    >Communicator 4.79 only? Anyone else using 4.79? Could it be AT&T
                    >only? None of my hundreds of other e-mail has any problems.
                    >
                    >DA
                    >

                    >Last problem message
                    >
                    >Brian Binder wrote:
                    > >
                    > > My own advice...
                    > >
                    > > Don't use a partitioning utility at all for Linux.
                    > >
                    > > What I would do if you want it on the same partition is to buy a program to
                    > > do it.
                    > >
                    > > There's 2 that come to mind that I have used.
                    > > .
                    > > .
                    > > .
                    > > .
                    >

                    >First problem message
                    >
                    >Brian Binder wrote:
                    > > I hear ya. Sorry - I didn't see the message where your system was down and
                    > > couldn't be booted to safe mode.
                    > >

                    > > I have an FTP server that I use so people can download files from me. It
                    > > comes in handy when people need things.
                    > > .
                    > > .
                    > > .
                    > > .

                  • Ed Brown
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                      Just for the record I used Partition Magic and Boot Magic and it still
                      managed to just about destroy all my windows programs. But after all it is
                      your call, my advice is still don't do it.
                      > But my advice is to forget Linux unless you have a
                      > separate computer to put it on.

                      If I may be so bold, I disagree completely. Linux and
                      Windows can coexist very nicely on the same box, and there
                      are, in fact, several advantages to having things configured
                      this way. For example, I currently dual-boot between Windows
                      2000 and Mandrake Linux 8.2, and the way I have things
                      mounted in Linux, I can access the *exact same* data files
                      and directories no matter which OS I'm using. As another
                      example, I have my Netscape POP mailboxes symbolically
                      linked between the two OSs, so I don't have to worry about
                      synchronizing the mailboxes, POP state, address books, etc.
                      Of course, you could do the same thing using network mounts,
                      but it's a couple of degrees easier and faster to actually
                      use the same physical machine.

                      If you want to run both OSs, my recommendation is to use
                      PartitionMagic and BootMagic. It really does work, and it's
                      really easy to create separate Linux and Windows partitions
                      without destroying your existing Windows partition. That is,
                      you can resize your Windows partition and create a Linux
                      parition without losing your Windows stuff, which is what
                      would happen if you tried to do this using vanilla fdisk.

                      If you're simply dead set against subdividing your hard disk
                      to create a Linux parition, PartitionMagic notwithstanding,
                      you could simply install another hard disk on your machine.
                      Windows insists on being the first OS in the boot sector on
                      the first disk, but Linux is not so persnickety like that.
                      The key when configuring Linux to boot from the second hard
                      disk is to make sure that the LILO (or GRUB) boot loader is
                      installed on the disk from which you want to boot Linux,
                      rather than in the boot sector of the disk from which Windows
                      boots. It sounds more complicated than it is. Honestly.

                      Regards,

                      Scott

                    • hsavage
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                        > Scott Fordin wrote:
                        >
                        > If you want to run both OSs, my recommendation is to use
                        > PartitionMagic and BootMagic. It really does work, and it's
                        > really easy to create separate Linux and Windows partitions
                        > without destroying your existing Windows partition. That is,
                        > you can resize your Windows partition and create a Linux
                        > partition without losing your Windows stuff, which is what
                        > would happen if you tried to do this using vanilla fdisk.
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        >
                        > Scott

                        Ed, Scott,

                        I second the recommendation for using PartitionMagic. I haven't used
                        Bootmagic yet but, I'm sure the day is coming.

                        I've used PartitionMagic a few years now and it has never created a problem.

                        hrs
                      • Brian Binder
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                          How is your system at its present state, Ed? Get anything salvaged?

                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                            Hi Ed, Scott, Harvey, et al

                            I have been using Vtec's System Commander/Partition Commander for
                            several years now to create, Resize, Copy and Delete partitions
                            and to boot between alternate OS's with no problems. I have
                            avoided having to reload damaged programs and systems many times
                            and have been able to completely remove unwanted problem programs
                            by reloading the primary partition from the backup partition.
                            I have not used Linex but With System Commander you can boot using
                            alternate OSs on one HDD with no problem.

                            BTW, with Windows on the primary HDD and Linex on the secondary HDD
                            you can then place a backup copy of each OS's partition on the
                            other HDD. 8-))

                            Regards, Len

                            >I second the recommendation for using PartitionMagic. I haven't used
                            >Bootmagic yet but, I'm sure the day is coming.
                            >
                            >I've used PartitionMagic a few years now and it has never created a problem.
                            >
                            >hrs
                          • Len
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                              Hi Ed, Scott, Harvey, et al

                              Corrected: V-Com Not Vtec, Linux Not Linex
                              http://www.v-com.com/

                              I have been using V-Com's System Commander/Partition Commander for
                              several years now to create, Resize, Copy and Delete partitions
                              and to boot between alternate OS's with no problems. I have
                              avoided having to reload damaged programs and systems many times
                              and have been able to completely remove unwanted problem programs
                              by reloading the primary partition from the backup partition.
                              I have not used Linux but With System Commander you can boot using
                              alternate OSs on one HDD with no problem.

                              BTW, with Windows on the primary HDD and Linux on the secondary HDD
                              you can then place a backup copy of each OS's partition on the
                              other HDD. 8-))

                              Regards, Len

                              >I second the recommendation for using PartitionMagic. I haven't used
                              >Bootmagic yet but, I'm sure the day is coming.
                              >
                              >I've used PartitionMagic a few years now and it has never created a problem.
                              >
                              >hrs

                            • Ed Brown
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                                Not yet Brian, but still working on it I have no idea at this point what the
                                final out come will be and it will be a few days before I know as I have
                                some other things to do besides spar with computer, who seeminglly has a
                                mind of its own. Using a partition with different versions of Windows is
                                just fine. Linux is a horse of a different color.

                                But I think the problems really come in more with different motherboards,
                                different video boards, etc. If yours happen to be the right ones then you
                                might be able to run LInux on a partitioned hard drive and have not
                                problems. But if things should be just not quite right for Linux, then you
                                may run into problems. I agree Partition Magic is excellent, and so is the
                                Boot Magic program and the particular Linux program you are using might work
                                OK.

                                But Windows just doesn't see Linux, and Linux doesn't apparently know
                                Windows is there. It will overwrite a window program in a blink of an eye.
                                I dont know what happened but some of the people who use both professionally
                                say keep 'em on separate hard drives. I will vote yea on that. If you use
                                the same Hard Drive partitioned and have no problems, you are doing
                                extremely well.
                                Ed
                                How is your system at its present state, Ed? Get anything salvaged?

                                Just for the record I used Partition Magic and Boot Magic and it still
                                managed to just about destroy all my windows programs. But after all it is
                                your call, my advice is still don't do it.
                                > But my advice is to forget Linux unless you have a
                                > separate computer to put it on.

                                If I may be so bold, I disagree completely. Linux and
                                Windows can coexist very nicely on the same box, and there
                                are, in fact, several advantages to having things configured
                                this way. For example, I currently dual-boot between Windows
                                2000 and Mandrake Linux 8.2, and the way I have things
                                mounted in Linux, I can access the *exact same* data files
                                and directories no matter which OS I'm using. As another
                                example, I have my Netscape POP mailboxes symbolically
                                linked between the two OSs, so I don't have to worry about
                                synchronizing the mailboxes, POP state, address books, etc.
                                Of course, you could do the same thing using network mounts,
                                but it's a couple of degrees easier and faster to actually
                                use the same physical machine.

                                If you want to run both OSs, my recommendation is to use
                                PartitionMagic and BootMagic. It really does work, and it's
                                really easy to create separate Linux and Windows partitions
                                without destroying your existing Windows partition. That is,
                                you can resize your Windows partition and create a Linux
                                parition without losing your Windows stuff, which is what
                                would happen if you tried to do this using vanilla fdisk.

                                If you're simply dead set against subdividing your hard disk
                                to create a Linux parition, PartitionMagic notwithstanding,
                                you could simply install another hard disk on your machine.
                                Windows insists on being the first OS in the boot sector on
                                the first disk, but Linux is not so persnickety like that.
                                The key when configuring Linux to boot from the second hard
                                disk is to make sure that the LILO (or GRUB) boot loader is
                                installed on the disk from which you want to boot Linux,
                                rather than in the boot sector of the disk from which Windows
                                boots. It sounds more complicated than it is. Honestly.

                                Regards,

                                Scott

                                .

                              • Dennis W. Farrell
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                                  Just a comment from a spectator: I've had a lot of success with a minimum
                                  of aggravation using hard drive docks, with one having my Win98 system,
                                  another with Win2K and a third w/ Linux.

                                  YMMV

                                  -- dwf