Re: [NTO] Lost System files (was ios.VXD)

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 13, 2002
      > Len wrote:
      >
      > Hi ED, et al;
      >
      > I have found two solutions to the type of problem you are describing.
      > One is to backup the entire C: drive to a second partition on the
      > same hard disk using a partition coping program which operates in DOS.
      > The second is to back up the entire C: drive to a second hard disk
      > using the same program. The second hard disk can be installed in a
      > mobile rack so that it is only energized when needed. This is also a
      good
      > defense against viruses.
      >
      > Good Luck, Len
      >
      > At 03:05 PM 8/12/02 -0500, you wrote:
      >
      > In my case windows would not run, not even in the safe mode because the
      > corrupted files were system files. Thus there is no way that you an
      get to
      > .cab files however it was possible for me to replace the files using DOS,
      > BUT you need to have someone send you those files since you cannot reach
      > them on your machine.

      Hi Ed,

      Although, nothing gives you that 'Warm and Fuzzy feeling' like having a
      complete, viable, system backup, there were other options for getting
      out of you predicament.

      If the cab files are on your drive, mine are in
      C:\windows\options\cabs\, surely there is also a windows utility named
      extract.exe in that same folder.

      You can boot with the emergency disk, switch to the cab folder and
      extract the file you need from its cab file.

      Learn the command line parameters, after getting to the correct folder,
      by typing, 'extract /?'.

      Now comes the hard, time consuming part, finding which cab file has your
      needed file in it. Extract is not a very friendly utility and it is a
      difficult and time consuming process to find which cab has the needed
      file in it.

      With a lot of research, or better, being forearmed with a list of the
      cabs and their contents it is very easy to extract a single file or an
      entire cab.

      In my case the ios.vxd is already extracted and in the cabs folder so it
      can just be copied to its destination.

      Although I haven't tried it the dos version of PKZIP, available for
      downloading on PKWARE'S web site may be of use for this purpose.

      hrs
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 13, 2002
        hsavage:

        > Now comes the hard, time consuming part, finding which cab file has
        your
        > needed file in it. Extract is not a very friendly utility and it is a
        > difficult and time consuming process to find which cab has the needed
        > file in it.
        >
        > With a lot of research, or better, being forearmed with a list of the
        > cabs and their contents it is very easy to extract a single file or an
        > entire cab.

        Do you happen to know of a freeware utility that will allow me to
        generate a list of my Options\Cabs that includes all files including the
        ones that are with Cab files?

        Regards ... Alec

          > With a lot of research, or better, being forearmed with a list of the
          > cabs and their contents it is very easy to extract a single file or an
          > entire cab.
          >

          > Do you happen to know of a freeware utility that will allow me to
          > generate a list of my Options\Cabs that includes all files including the
          > ones that are with Cab files?
          >
          > Regards ... Alec

          Hi Alec,

          Off-hand, I don't know of such a utility, however, if you open a dos
          window and type;

          dir \windows\options\cabs\*.cab > \cabslist.txt

          This will redirect the dir command output, and it will contain only the
          cabs, into a text file in the root directory.

          You then can edit all you want in NoteTab.

          hrs
        • Christine
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 14, 2002
            Alec,
            TweakUI or X-Setup (among many, many other utilities) has always done this
            with extreme simplicity!
            Go to nonags.com or majordownloads.com for either one.
            TweaiUI is the easiest. You double click on a .cab, it displays all the
            compressed files, you right-click and pick Extract.

            Done.
            Christine
            (The utility fiend herself.)
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 8, 2002
              > Ray Shapp wrote:

              > Hi Group,
              >
              > I just noticed a folder on my computer called "Windows Update
              > Setup Files".
              >
              > Another of the files is called "This folder is safe to delete.txt".
              > The contents of this file are as follows:
              >
              > Once Internet Explorer 5.5 is installed and functioning properly
              > on your system, you may delete this folder to free up disk space.
              >
              > If you delete this folder but later want to reinstall the product,
              > you will need to download it again from the web site."
              >
              > Is anyone familiar with this folder? Is it actually safe to delete this
              > folder?
              >
              > Thanks for the help.
              >
              > Ray Shapp

              Ray,

              The 'safe to delete.txt' ties that folder to IE 5.5 only.

              I would delete it, but, as apprehensive as you are, why not rename the
              folder for several days to see if something malfunctions?

              Then Delete.

              hrs