Re: [NTO] ios.VXD

  • Brian Binder
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 12, 2002
      I hear ya. Sorry - I didn't see the message where your system was down and
      couldn't be booted to safe mode.

      I have an FTP server that I use so people can download files from me. It
      comes in handy when people need things.

      They are trying to mix windows and linux, with Lindows! That's one I still
      have to try out. I tried doing what you did, with the different partitions
      between Linux and Windows, and that screwed up my system big time.

      I recovered, but the partitions had to be healed.

      Later!

      Brian

      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 12, 2002
        Hi ED, et al;

        I have found two solutions to the type of problem you are describing.
        One is to backup the entire C: drive to a second partition on the
        same hard disk using a partition coping program which operates in DOS.
        The second is to back up the entire C: drive to a second hard disk
        using the same program. The second hard disk can be installed in a
        mobile rack so that it is only energized when needed. This is also a good
        defense against viruses.

        Good Luck, Len

        At 03:05 PM 8/12/02 -0500, you wrote:
        >In my case windows would not run, not even in the safe mode because the
        >corrupted files were system files. Thus there is no way that you an get to
        >.cab files however it was possible for me to replace the files using DOS,
        >BUT you need to have someone send you those files since you cannot reach
        >them on your machine.
      • Bob Garsson
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
          I want to move to Linux but I'd like to avoid the hassle of repartitioning
          the hard drive. Can you tell me how to put Linux and windows in the same
          partition? I've searched my hard drive an I don't have ios.vxd. Running WinXP.
          TIA,
          Bob

          At 11:57 AM 8/12/2002 -0500, you wrote:
          >Thanks to everyone who replied and sent the file. I have it now and will
          >install it and see what happens next in this fun filled chapter of trying to
          >put Linux OS and Windows OS on the same partitioned hard drive.

        • Brian Binder
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
            My own advice...

            Don't use a partitioning utility at all for Linux.

            What I would do if you want it on the same partition is to buy a program to
            do it.

            There's 2 that come to mind that I have used.

            One is VMWare's VM Workstation from www.vmware.com
            The other is Connectix Virtual PC from www.connectix.com

            Connectix Virtual PC has worked better than VMWare in all my tests of it, as
            far as speed and reliability.

            Virtual PC is also very platform independent.

            VMWare ties itself more with your hardware. It's not as easy as taking the
            images from VMWare and transferring them to a different PC, if you wanted to
            do it on a totally different computer.

            Virtual PC allows you to take the same Linux, or whatever image you made and
            use it on 100 totally different computers with all different platforms -
            provided you have the licensing.

            VMWare's product kinda groans about different hardware configs, and you have
            to use its tool to defrag the drive if it gets transferred, because it makes
            it inconsistent, etc.

            I would just use Virtual PC; I have never gone wrong using it.

            Just my 2 cents.

            I want to move to Linux but I'd like to avoid the hassle of repartitioning
            the hard drive. Can you tell me how to put Linux and windows in the same
            partition? I've searched my hard drive an I don't have ios.vxd. Running
            WinXP.
            TIA,
            Bob

            At 11:57 AM 8/12/2002 -0500, you wrote:
            >Thanks to everyone who replied and sent the file. I have it now and will
            >install it and see what happens next in this fun filled chapter of trying
            >put Linux OS and Windows OS on the same partitioned hard drive.

            4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/ySSFAA/dkFolB/TM

            .

          • DA
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
              Hi Brian,

              The last two messages that you have sent have been generating errors that make Netscape Communicator 4.79 crash. If I go to AT&T first, and delete only your message, then everything downloads OK.

              Is anyone else having this problem? Could it be a problem with Netscape Communicator 4.79 only? Anyone else using 4.79? Could it be AT&T only? None of my hundreds of other e-mail has any problems.

              DA

              Last problem message

              Brian Binder wrote:

              > My own advice...
              >
              > Don't use a partitioning utility at all for Linux.
              >
              > What I would do if you want it on the same partition is to buy a program to
              > do it.
              >
              > There's 2 that come to mind that I have used.
              > .
              > .
              > .
              > .

              First problem message

              Brian Binder wrote:
              > I hear ya. Sorry - I didn't see the message where your system was down and
              > couldn't be booted to safe mode.
              >

              > I have an FTP server that I use so people can download files from me. It
              > comes in handy when people need things.
              > .
              > .
              > .
              > .
            • Ed Brown
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                No problems here at all. But my advice is to forget Linux unless you have a
                separate computer to put it on. IF you go ahead with it, back everything up
                that you have on your computer before you start.
                Ed

                Brian Binder wrote:

                > My own advice...
                >
                > Don't use a partitioning utility at all for Linux.
                >
                > What I would do if you want it on the same partition is to buy a program
                > do it.
                >
                > There's 2 that come to mind that I have used.
                > .
                > .
                > .
                > .

                First problem message

                Brian Binder wrote:
                > I hear ya. Sorry - I didn't see the message where your system was down
                and
                > couldn't be booted to safe mode.
                >

                > I have an FTP server that I use so people can download files from me. It
                > comes in handy when people need things.
                > .
                > .
                > .
                > .

              • Brian Binder
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                  Weird. Sorry! I don't mean to crash your mail client. First I've heard of
                  it though...

                  In any event - I would personally go with a Virtual PC if you want to mess
                  with Linux and don't want to spend the money on hardware.

                  VPC is nice in the respect that :

                  [1] it's strictly a program
                  [2] you can adjust whatever hardware settings you wish
                  [3] fully customizable
                  [4] No partitions get modified
                  [5] "Guest OS" crashes don't affect your main operating system
                  [6] You can transfer, delete, modify the "Guest OS" like any other OS
                  that you would run without any fuss
                  [7] everything is basically "virtual" so when anything starts going bad,
                  you can simply delete that file that holds the guest OS without it affecting
                  your PC in any way.

                  Just a few advantages on a safe alternative.

                  Brian Binder wrote:

                  > My own advice...
                  >
                  > Don't use a partitioning utility at all for Linux.
                  >
                  > What I would do if you want it on the same partition is to buy a program
                  > do it.
                  >
                  > There's 2 that come to mind that I have used.
                  > .
                  > .
                  > .
                  > .

                  First problem message

                  Brian Binder wrote:
                  > I hear ya. Sorry - I didn't see the message where your system was down and
                  > couldn't be booted to safe mode.
                  >

                  > I have an FTP server that I use so people can download files from me. It
                  > comes in handy when people need things.
                  > .
                  > .
                  > .
                  > .

                  4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/ySSFAA/dkFolB/TM

                  .

                • Scott Fordin
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                    Ed Brown wrote:

                    > But my advice is to forget Linux unless you have a
                    > separate computer to put it on.

                    If I may be so bold, I disagree completely. Linux and
                    Windows can coexist very nicely on the same box, and there
                    are, in fact, several advantages to having things configured
                    this way. For example, I currently dual-boot between Windows
                    2000 and Mandrake Linux 8.2, and the way I have things
                    mounted in Linux, I can access the *exact same* data files
                    and directories no matter which OS I'm using. As another
                    example, I have my Netscape POP mailboxes symbolically
                    linked between the two OSs, so I don't have to worry about
                    synchronizing the mailboxes, POP state, address books, etc.
                    Of course, you could do the same thing using network mounts,
                    but it's a couple of degrees easier and faster to actually
                    use the same physical machine.

                    If you want to run both OSs, my recommendation is to use
                    PartitionMagic and BootMagic. It really does work, and it's
                    really easy to create separate Linux and Windows partitions
                    without destroying your existing Windows partition. That is,
                    you can resize your Windows partition and create a Linux
                    parition without losing your Windows stuff, which is what
                    would happen if you tried to do this using vanilla fdisk.

                    If you're simply dead set against subdividing your hard disk
                    to create a Linux parition, PartitionMagic notwithstanding,
                    you could simply install another hard disk on your machine.
                    Windows insists on being the first OS in the boot sector on
                    the first disk, but Linux is not so persnickety like that.
                    The key when configuring Linux to boot from the second hard
                    disk is to make sure that the LILO (or GRUB) boot loader is
                    installed on the disk from which you want to boot Linux,
                    rather than in the boot sector of the disk from which Windows
                    boots. It sounds more complicated than it is. Honestly.

                    Regards,

                    Scott
                  • Brian Binder
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                      In any event, I have had the complete opposite results 2 times upon trying
                      PM and BM.

                      I thought it worked pretty bad - and I had the latest versions.

                      You can always say it's operator error, but I sell PM and I have unlimited
                      tech support. I'm not new to PM, BM, or dual-booting configs.

                      There's issues that Linux impose with any OS in a dual-boot config, but PM
                      is currently working on the issues.

                      There's flaws in PM that are not so easily explained by their tech support
                      either. Heck, even drive size when creating the partitions impose risks
                      when doing this.

                      When you want a "no-brainer" type of solution to make it as error-free as
                      possible, I would still go with VPC.

                      There's a lot less risk in losing valuable data, since most people I know
                      never backup their systems unfortunately...

                      Your solutions still has strong points over mine, no doubt. You aren't
                      using shared networking or anything to slow down the speed. VPC and VMWare
                      have increased the speed tremendously, and are hoping to make it just like a
                      machine that isn't using shared drives or networking, etc.

                      One nice feature that they have is the fact that you can map drives to your
                      other OS on the system.

                      You can even drag-and-drop files into the guest operating system from the
                      host, or vice-versa.

                      Both solutions have their benefits, but I guess it's all up to you guys to
                      decide what path to take.

                      B.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                        It came in just fine in IE6.

                        At 10:09 AM 8/13/2002 -0700, you wrote:
                        >Hi Brian,
                        >
                        >The last two messages that you have sent have been generating errors that
                        >make Netscape Communicator 4.79 crash. If I go to AT&T first, and delete
                        >only your message, then everything downloads OK.
                        >
                        >Is anyone else having this problem? Could it be a problem with Netscape
                        >Communicator 4.79 only? Anyone else using 4.79? Could it be AT&T
                        >only? None of my hundreds of other e-mail has any problems.
                        >
                        >DA
                        >

                        >Last problem message
                        >
                        >Brian Binder wrote:
                        > >
                        > > My own advice...
                        > >
                        > > Don't use a partitioning utility at all for Linux.
                        > >
                        > > What I would do if you want it on the same partition is to buy a program to
                        > > do it.
                        > >
                        > > There's 2 that come to mind that I have used.
                        > > .
                        > > .
                        > > .
                        > > .
                        >

                        >First problem message
                        >
                        >Brian Binder wrote:
                        > > I hear ya. Sorry - I didn't see the message where your system was down and
                        > > couldn't be booted to safe mode.
                        > >

                        > > I have an FTP server that I use so people can download files from me. It
                        > > comes in handy when people need things.
                        > > .
                        > > .
                        > > .
                        > > .

                      • Ed Brown
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                          Just for the record I used Partition Magic and Boot Magic and it still
                          managed to just about destroy all my windows programs. But after all it is
                          your call, my advice is still don't do it.
                          > But my advice is to forget Linux unless you have a
                          > separate computer to put it on.

                          If I may be so bold, I disagree completely. Linux and
                          Windows can coexist very nicely on the same box, and there
                          are, in fact, several advantages to having things configured
                          this way. For example, I currently dual-boot between Windows
                          2000 and Mandrake Linux 8.2, and the way I have things
                          mounted in Linux, I can access the *exact same* data files
                          and directories no matter which OS I'm using. As another
                          example, I have my Netscape POP mailboxes symbolically
                          linked between the two OSs, so I don't have to worry about
                          synchronizing the mailboxes, POP state, address books, etc.
                          Of course, you could do the same thing using network mounts,
                          but it's a couple of degrees easier and faster to actually
                          use the same physical machine.

                          If you want to run both OSs, my recommendation is to use
                          PartitionMagic and BootMagic. It really does work, and it's
                          really easy to create separate Linux and Windows partitions
                          without destroying your existing Windows partition. That is,
                          you can resize your Windows partition and create a Linux
                          parition without losing your Windows stuff, which is what
                          would happen if you tried to do this using vanilla fdisk.

                          If you're simply dead set against subdividing your hard disk
                          to create a Linux parition, PartitionMagic notwithstanding,
                          you could simply install another hard disk on your machine.
                          Windows insists on being the first OS in the boot sector on
                          the first disk, but Linux is not so persnickety like that.
                          The key when configuring Linux to boot from the second hard
                          disk is to make sure that the LILO (or GRUB) boot loader is
                          installed on the disk from which you want to boot Linux,
                          rather than in the boot sector of the disk from which Windows
                          boots. It sounds more complicated than it is. Honestly.

                          Regards,

                          Scott

                        • hsavage
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                            > Scott Fordin wrote:
                            >
                            > If you want to run both OSs, my recommendation is to use
                            > PartitionMagic and BootMagic. It really does work, and it's
                            > really easy to create separate Linux and Windows partitions
                            > without destroying your existing Windows partition. That is,
                            > you can resize your Windows partition and create a Linux
                            > partition without losing your Windows stuff, which is what
                            > would happen if you tried to do this using vanilla fdisk.
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            >
                            > Scott

                            Ed, Scott,

                            I second the recommendation for using PartitionMagic. I haven't used
                            Bootmagic yet but, I'm sure the day is coming.

                            I've used PartitionMagic a few years now and it has never created a problem.

                            hrs
                          • Brian Binder
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                              How is your system at its present state, Ed? Get anything salvaged?

                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                                Hi Ed, Scott, Harvey, et al

                                I have been using Vtec's System Commander/Partition Commander for
                                several years now to create, Resize, Copy and Delete partitions
                                and to boot between alternate OS's with no problems. I have
                                avoided having to reload damaged programs and systems many times
                                and have been able to completely remove unwanted problem programs
                                by reloading the primary partition from the backup partition.
                                I have not used Linex but With System Commander you can boot using
                                alternate OSs on one HDD with no problem.

                                BTW, with Windows on the primary HDD and Linex on the secondary HDD
                                you can then place a backup copy of each OS's partition on the
                                other HDD. 8-))

                                Regards, Len

                                >I second the recommendation for using PartitionMagic. I haven't used
                                >Bootmagic yet but, I'm sure the day is coming.
                                >
                                >I've used PartitionMagic a few years now and it has never created a problem.
                                >
                                >hrs
                              • Len
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                                  Hi Ed, Scott, Harvey, et al

                                  Corrected: V-Com Not Vtec, Linux Not Linex
                                  http://www.v-com.com/

                                  I have been using V-Com's System Commander/Partition Commander for
                                  several years now to create, Resize, Copy and Delete partitions
                                  and to boot between alternate OS's with no problems. I have
                                  avoided having to reload damaged programs and systems many times
                                  and have been able to completely remove unwanted problem programs
                                  by reloading the primary partition from the backup partition.
                                  I have not used Linux but With System Commander you can boot using
                                  alternate OSs on one HDD with no problem.

                                  BTW, with Windows on the primary HDD and Linux on the secondary HDD
                                  you can then place a backup copy of each OS's partition on the
                                  other HDD. 8-))

                                  Regards, Len

                                  >I second the recommendation for using PartitionMagic. I haven't used
                                  >Bootmagic yet but, I'm sure the day is coming.
                                  >
                                  >I've used PartitionMagic a few years now and it has never created a problem.
                                  >
                                  >hrs

                                • Ed Brown
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                                    Not yet Brian, but still working on it I have no idea at this point what the
                                    final out come will be and it will be a few days before I know as I have
                                    some other things to do besides spar with computer, who seeminglly has a
                                    mind of its own. Using a partition with different versions of Windows is
                                    just fine. Linux is a horse of a different color.

                                    But I think the problems really come in more with different motherboards,
                                    different video boards, etc. If yours happen to be the right ones then you
                                    might be able to run LInux on a partitioned hard drive and have not
                                    problems. But if things should be just not quite right for Linux, then you
                                    may run into problems. I agree Partition Magic is excellent, and so is the
                                    Boot Magic program and the particular Linux program you are using might work
                                    OK.

                                    But Windows just doesn't see Linux, and Linux doesn't apparently know
                                    Windows is there. It will overwrite a window program in a blink of an eye.
                                    I dont know what happened but some of the people who use both professionally
                                    say keep 'em on separate hard drives. I will vote yea on that. If you use
                                    the same Hard Drive partitioned and have no problems, you are doing
                                    extremely well.
                                    Ed
                                    How is your system at its present state, Ed? Get anything salvaged?

                                    Just for the record I used Partition Magic and Boot Magic and it still
                                    managed to just about destroy all my windows programs. But after all it is
                                    your call, my advice is still don't do it.
                                    > But my advice is to forget Linux unless you have a
                                    > separate computer to put it on.

                                    If I may be so bold, I disagree completely. Linux and
                                    Windows can coexist very nicely on the same box, and there
                                    are, in fact, several advantages to having things configured
                                    this way. For example, I currently dual-boot between Windows
                                    2000 and Mandrake Linux 8.2, and the way I have things
                                    mounted in Linux, I can access the *exact same* data files
                                    and directories no matter which OS I'm using. As another
                                    example, I have my Netscape POP mailboxes symbolically
                                    linked between the two OSs, so I don't have to worry about
                                    synchronizing the mailboxes, POP state, address books, etc.
                                    Of course, you could do the same thing using network mounts,
                                    but it's a couple of degrees easier and faster to actually
                                    use the same physical machine.

                                    If you want to run both OSs, my recommendation is to use
                                    PartitionMagic and BootMagic. It really does work, and it's
                                    really easy to create separate Linux and Windows partitions
                                    without destroying your existing Windows partition. That is,
                                    you can resize your Windows partition and create a Linux
                                    parition without losing your Windows stuff, which is what
                                    would happen if you tried to do this using vanilla fdisk.

                                    If you're simply dead set against subdividing your hard disk
                                    to create a Linux parition, PartitionMagic notwithstanding,
                                    you could simply install another hard disk on your machine.
                                    Windows insists on being the first OS in the boot sector on
                                    the first disk, but Linux is not so persnickety like that.
                                    The key when configuring Linux to boot from the second hard
                                    disk is to make sure that the LILO (or GRUB) boot loader is
                                    installed on the disk from which you want to boot Linux,
                                    rather than in the boot sector of the disk from which Windows
                                    boots. It sounds more complicated than it is. Honestly.

                                    Regards,

                                    Scott

                                    .

                                  • Dennis W. Farrell
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 13, 2002
                                      Just a comment from a spectator: I've had a lot of success with a minimum
                                      of aggravation using hard drive docks, with one having my Win98 system,
                                      another with Win2K and a third w/ Linux.

                                      YMMV

                                      -- dwf